PiNg PiNg PiNg Laurie S

Old February 26th 05, 06:17 AM
Spike

Default PiNg PiNg PiNg Laurie S

Kate said to ask you... are you running a 351W? If so what kind of
mileage are you getting? Trying to decide between the original (289 A
Code) or swap to the 351W. Mucho appreciation for any help.
Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Old February 26th 05, 08:35 AM
351CJ

Spike wrote:
> Kate said to ask you... are you running a 351W? If so what kind of
> mileage are you getting? Trying to decide between the original (289 A
> Code) or swap to the 351W. Mucho appreciation for any help.
> Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
> 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
> Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
> Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
> w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

All things being equal, (and when are the every really?) the 351 tends
to get a few 1-5 miles per gallon less then the 302 (no first hand
experience with the 289). I have had different 302's get between 10 and
22 miles per gallon.

But what one gets really is a poor indicator of what another will get...

I had an 82 4x4 Bronco that got 16 MPG with a 302. I changed only the
engine, put in a completely stock rebuilt (Ford re-manufactured) long
block, same ignition, exhaust, carb and intake and the same bronco went
from 16 MPG to 12 MPG. :-( That really sucked.
Old February 26th 05, 11:00 AM
Spike

Gonna have to keep my foot out of it.... that's for sure. I am adding
electronic ignition, underdrives, and cruise control for the open
road. Every little bit helps. I got 26 on the road with my 5.7L EFI
Firebird, and 21 around town if I was careful. Mostly around 18.

Guy one street over has about a 67 Cougar with a 351 or 390 which he
rarely takes out.

Guess that's what the Escort is for.... I have to fill the tank about
once every month or so.... 30+ mpg.

Old February 26th 05, 12:40 PM
SVTKate

Uh huh...
you can lie to THEM...

I know better Spikie m' man!

Old February 27th 05, 08:39 PM
Wound Up

Spike wrote:
> Kate said to ask you... are you running a 351W? If so what kind of
> mileage are you getting? Trying to decide between the original (289 A
> Code) or swap to the 351W. Mucho appreciation for any help.

Laurie's 68 fastback has a 390. She doesn't drive it much, because of
AZ emissions laws.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old February 27th 05, 09:33 PM
Spike

Thanks. I somehow had a feeling she'd have the 390 rather than the
351W.

Old February 28th 05, 05:15 AM
Wound Up

No prob... see, I am useful for something

Check upcoming issues of M&F for details if you so desire - this FE
restomod (trailer queen) beauty is named "Trouble".

Old February 28th 05, 06:38 AM
Spike

Well. of course you are.... I think the dog ate *my* paperweight....
LOL

Speaking of Mustang and Fords. I just got my latest copy and it's all
"late model".... I have haven't had a chance to see if it was just a
special issue or what. Didn't see a darn thing in it that I could use
for a 65.

Old February 28th 05, 07:05 AM
Wound Up

Yeah, yeah... (grin)...

I actually haven't gotten M&F for about 6 mo., but she said her car
would be featured in upcoming months. I saw her car Trouble in that
mag. before I ever subbed to the BB group. I only get MM now (sorry,
Laurie)... gotta renew. I had a subscription from 96-04. Stacks on my
shelf. That mag. did get my restomod blood pumping when I got my first car.

As I recall, Jim Smart officially took over as Editor for the Mar.
edition, and some changes were in the works. I don't believe they were
planning at all to stop covering the restomod / 65-73 "scene". Maybe
Mar. was the "transition issue" or something...

Old March 1st 05, 01:07 AM
Laurie S.

"Spike" > wrote in message
> Kate said to ask you... are you running a 351W? If so what kind of
> mileage are you getting? Trying to decide between the original (289 A
> Code) or swap to the 351W. Mucho appreciation for any help.
> Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
> 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
> Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
> Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
> w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

I have a 390 in the fastback, and it's been tweaked a bit to say the least.
LOL I've only driven about 2 miles so I can't figure the mileage yet. I'm
guessing it will be 9-10 mpg considering my heavy foot.

--------
Laurie S.
Thunder Snake #7