How to determine radiator mfg?

Old July 19th 05, 06:52 PM
DesignGuy

Default How to determine radiator mfg?

I've got a 1995 Civic LX, and have had the radiator replaced at a garage due
to overheating. I want to replace the radiator cap (also replaced around the
same time with a non-OEM cap) to an OEM cap as recommended in this
newsgroup.

A call to the Honda dealer find that there are two different caps, depending
on the manufacturer of the radiator (Toyo or Denzo).

Problem is, I can't find any identification on the aftermarket radiator to
identify which one it is.

Old July 20th 05, 12:17 AM
TeGGeR®

"DesignGuy" > wrote in

> I've got a 1995 Civic LX, and have had the radiator replaced at a
> garage due to overheating. I want to replace the radiator cap (also
> replaced around the same time with a non-OEM cap) to an OEM cap as
> recommended in this newsgroup.
>
> A call to the Honda dealer find that there are two different caps,
> depending on the manufacturer of the radiator (Toyo or Denzo).

Did the dealer tell you what differences there are between Toyo and Denso
rad caps? They'rs all made by ND as far as I know.

> Problem is, I can't find any identification on the aftermarket
> radiator to identify which one it is.

If you've got an aftermarket rad (as I do), then the manufacturer of your
original rad is irrelevant.

The outside diameter of the cap should tell you what you need. Mine
measures 1-3/4" across.

And your rating is 0.9 bar, or 13 lbs.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old July 20th 05, 12:59 AM
DesignGuy

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
> "DesignGuy" > wrote in
>
> > I've got a 1995 Civic LX, and have had the radiator replaced at a
> > garage due to overheating. I want to replace the radiator cap (also
> > replaced around the same time with a non-OEM cap) to an OEM cap as
> > recommended in this newsgroup.
> >
> > A call to the Honda dealer find that there are two different caps,
> > depending on the manufacturer of the radiator (Toyo or Denzo).

> Did the dealer tell you what differences there are between Toyo and Denso
> rad caps? They'rs all made by ND as far as I know.
>

> > Problem is, I can't find any identification on the aftermarket
> > radiator to identify which one it is.

> If you've got an aftermarket rad (as I do), then the manufacturer of your
> original rad is irrelevant.
>
> The outside diameter of the cap should tell you what you need. Mine
> measures 1-3/4" across.
>
> And your rating is 0.9 bar, or 13 lbs.

The dealer didn't specify the difference. Also, my after-market rad cap has
1.1 printed on it (1.1 bar?), so perhaps I'm using the wrong cap after all.

I'll take the car to the dealer tomorrow and see about getting an OEM cap.

Old July 20th 05, 02:19 AM
jim beam

DesignGuy wrote:
> "TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
>
>>"DesignGuy" > wrote in
>>

>>>I've got a 1995 Civic LX, and have had the radiator replaced at a
>>>garage due to overheating. I want to replace the radiator cap (also
>>>replaced around the same time with a non-OEM cap) to an OEM cap as
>>>recommended in this newsgroup.
>>>
>>>A call to the Honda dealer find that there are two different caps,
>>>depending on the manufacturer of the radiator (Toyo or Denzo).

>>Did the dealer tell you what differences there are between Toyo and Denso
>>rad caps? They'rs all made by ND as far as I know.
>>

>>>Problem is, I can't find any identification on the aftermarket
>>>radiator to identify which one it is.

>>If you've got an aftermarket rad (as I do), then the manufacturer of your
>>original rad is irrelevant.
>>
>>The outside diameter of the cap should tell you what you need. Mine
>>measures 1-3/4" across.
>>
>>And your rating is 0.9 bar, or 13 lbs.

> The dealer didn't specify the difference. Also, my after-market rad cap has
> 1.1 printed on it (1.1 bar?), so perhaps I'm using the wrong cap after all.
>
> I'll take the car to the dealer tomorrow and see about getting an OEM cap.

1.1bar will keep the lid on overheating better than 0.9bar will.

check [replace] your thermostat - need to replace the rubber gasket it
sits in at the same time - and see how you go. after that, check for
head gasket, leaks, blockages, etc.

Old July 20th 05, 02:46 AM
TeGGeR®

jim beam > wrote in
news
> DesignGuy wrote:

>> The dealer didn't specify the difference. Also, my after-market rad
>> cap has 1.1 printed on it (1.1 bar?), so perhaps I'm using the wrong
>> cap after all.
>>
>> I'll take the car to the dealer tomorrow and see about getting an OEM
>> cap.

> 1.1bar will keep the lid on overheating better than 0.9bar will.

The '95 Civic should be using a 1.1 bar cap.

Modern caps don't even begin to hold pressure until the fluid starts to
boil anyway.

Old July 20th 05, 02:59 AM
jim beam

TeGGeR® wrote:
> jim beam > wrote in
> news >
>
>>DesignGuy wrote:

>>>The dealer didn't specify the difference. Also, my after-market rad
>>>cap has 1.1 printed on it (1.1 bar?), so perhaps I'm using the wrong
>>>cap after all.
>>>
>>>I'll take the car to the dealer tomorrow and see about getting an OEM
>>>cap.

>>1.1bar will keep the lid on overheating better than 0.9bar will.

> The '95 Civic should be using a 1.1 bar cap.
>
> Modern caps don't even begin to hold pressure until the fluid starts to
> boil anyway.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/boilingPoint.htm

the cap ensures you keep your coolant liquid even when you're up in the
mountains.

Old July 20th 05, 03:07 AM
TeGGeR®

jim beam > wrote in news:RJWdndOy5oeALUDfRVn-
:

> TeGGeR® wrote:

>> Modern caps don't even begin to hold pressure until the fluid starts to
>> boil anyway.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/boilingPoint.htm

> the cap ensures you keep your coolant liquid even when you're up in the
> mountains.

Yes, but the cap does not hold pressure UNTIL the fluid boils, regardless
of what the boiling temperature is. That's why you have that jiggly dangly
thing (get your mind out of the gutter) on the bottom of the cap.