need new hinges for westy top

Old July 14th 05, 06:09 PM
Fish

Default need new hinges for westy top

I have a 68' Westy hinged at the front.
The scissor hinge/bar hinges/whatever you want to call them are shot
and need to be replaced.
Any idea where I can get a set?
Been searching the web with no luck.

Thanks

Old July 14th 05, 10:48 PM

E-mail me direct I have a good hinge set up

Mario

Old July 15th 05, 05:48 AM
Karl

In real life, 68 are ONE-YEAR-only. The upper screws holding the hinge to the pop top are wood
screws. The screws are counter-sunk and the screw holes in the top of the hinge are made for
counter-sunk screws. The wind actually would tear the screws out!!

Westfalia got a little smarter in mid 68.......
69-72 hinges are different in that the upper screws are now carriage bolts that go all the way thru
the pop top. The holes on the top of the hinge are now flat so you can use a nut with a flat washer.

Westfalia got a lot smarter in mid 72 and finally redesigned those pathetic tubular hinges and made
them using flat steel in 73.

So actually, there are 3 distinct hinges for the 68 to 73 front-hinged pop top:
68 only
69-72
and 73

The 73's will fit 69 to 72 with no mods. But to use the 73's or the 69-72's on a 68, you will need
to drill 4 holes thru the pop top and use carriage bolts.

I am out of the 73 only hinges. They are hot sellers.
I do have 1 pair of 68 only hinges and a pair of 69-72 hinges. Both tubular but in good shape. I
also have the bolt set to install the later hinges on a 68.

BTW, 68 was the only year that used a vinyl strip between the hinge and the painted roof........

ups.com...