Is Leaving the Top Down OK?

Old June 1st 05, 03:55 AM
Jay

Default Is Leaving the Top Down OK?

Hello,

I have a 91 Miata and I love this car. I recently bought my first house
and now have a nice garage to store the car in. I drive a beater on
rainy days. I am wondering, is there any problem with just leaving the
top down overnight or while the car is garaged on those rainy days?
Could the top shrink or anything along those lines? Thanks in advance
for your help!

- Jay
Old June 1st 05, 04:06 AM
Red

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 02:55:17 GMT, Jay > wrote in
news
> I have a 91 Miata and I love this car. I recently bought my first house
> and now have a nice garage to store the car in. I drive a beater on
> rainy days. I am wondering, is there any problem with just leaving the
> top down overnight or while the car is garaged on those rainy days?
> Could the top shrink or anything along those lines? Thanks in advance
> for your help!

No. I do the same thing, leaving the top down for months until
I'm caught out somewhere in wet conditions.

I also use the car with the hardtop on and go for many months with
the softtop down under the hardtop.

The top may be a bit stiff to put up the first time after
a while down, but a bit of gentle persuasion won't hurt.

Old June 1st 05, 10:03 AM
gixer

No problem at all mate, my car is garaged and has secure parking at work,
and as I only drive with the top up 5 or 6 times a years (when its raining
or really hot) mine is left open for long periods of time, and I have not
experienced any problems at all.

Cheers Mark

news

Old June 3rd 05, 03:03 AM
Jay

gixer wrote:
> No problem at all mate, my car is garaged and has secure parking at work,
> and as I only drive with the top up 5 or 6 times a years (when its raining
> or really hot) mine is left open for long periods of time, and I have not
> experienced any problems at all.
>
> Cheers Mark
>
> "Jay" > wrote in message
> news >
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have a 91 Miata and I love this car. I recently bought my first house
>>and now have a nice garage to store the car in. I drive a beater on rainy
>>days. I am wondering, is there any problem with just leaving the top down
>>overnight or while the car is garaged on those rainy days? Could the top
>>shrink or anything along those lines? Thanks in advance for your help!
>>
>>- Jay

Thank you both for your advice! I look forward to leaving the top down
all summer then!

- Jay

Old June 3rd 05, 03:38 PM
gixer

Just thought about what I wrote, and realised that my top is closed around 1
night a week, I usually clean my car about once a week, and leave the top
closed the night after to allow it to dry, so I told you wrong mate, my top
usually goes a week without being closed at a time.

Cheers Mark.

m...

Old June 3rd 05, 04:02 PM
Frank Berger

"Jay" > wrote in message
m...
> gixer wrote:
>> No problem at all mate, my car is garaged and has secure parking at work,
>> and as I only drive with the top up 5 or 6 times a years (when its
>> raining or really hot) mine is left open for long periods of time, and I
>> have not experienced any problems at all.
>>
>> Cheers Mark
>>
>> "Jay" > wrote in message
>> news >>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I have a 91 Miata and I love this car. I recently bought my first house
>>>and now have a nice garage to store the car in. I drive a beater on
>>>rainy days. I am wondering, is there any problem with just leaving the
>>>top down overnight or while the car is garaged on those rainy days? Could
>>>the top shrink or anything along those lines? Thanks in advance for your
>>>help!
>>>
>>>- Jay

> Thank you both for your advice! I look forward to leaving the top down
> all summer then!
>
> - Jay

I suggest putting the top up when you wash the car.

Old June 3rd 05, 06:14 PM
gixer

The American cars don't come with the Anti Gravity, rain protection force
field as standard then?

Old June 3rd 05, 06:33 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-06-03, gixer > wrote:

>> I suggest putting the top up when you wash the car.

> The American cars don't come with the Anti Gravity, rain
> protection force field as standard then?

Nope. The manufacturers won't offer that in the US because
they're afraid of product liability issues.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Hmmm... an arrogant
at bouquet with a subtle
Old June 3rd 05, 06:39 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >, "gixer" >
wrote:

> Just thought about what I wrote, and realised that my top is closed around 1
> night a week, I usually clean my car about once a week, and leave the top
> closed the night after to allow it to dry, so I told you wrong mate, my top
> usually goes a week without being closed at a time.

I don't bother raising the top when I wash the car. I do raise the
windows, and I drape a towel over the console so it won't waterspot. Of
course, having leather seats removes most of the worry (cows don't melt
in the rain, after all).

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old June 3rd 05, 07:35 PM
gixer

Hmmmm sounds to me like a public humiliation is only a wet seat away,

I can picture the scene now a loverly freshly washed gleaming car, a night
out in the summer wearing those loverly cool thin cotton cream coloured
trousers and of course the sogyy arse lol

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >, "gixer" >
> wrote:
>
>> Just thought about what I wrote, and realised that my top is closed
>> around 1
>> night a week, I usually clean my car about once a week, and leave the top
>> closed the night after to allow it to dry, so I told you wrong mate, my
>> top
>> usually goes a week without being closed at a time.

> I don't bother raising the top when I wash the car. I do raise the
> windows, and I drape a towel over the console so it won't waterspot. Of
> course, having leather seats removes most of the worry (cows don't melt
> in the rain, after all).
>
> ---
> Lanny Chambers
> '94C, St. Louis
> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

rules question - leaving driveways Tim923 Driving 6 June 2nd 05 03:57 AM
leaving group mac Ford Mustang 19 December 2nd 04 05:49 AM
05 corvette Mark Mathews Corvette 48 November 7th 04 02:10 AM
Sound of a Corvette, leaving registration area Bob Alan Corvette 0 October 4th 04 02:24 PM