distributor setting

Old February 19th 05, 06:35 PM

I believe he was talking to Mark C.

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake
FRPP 3.73 gears
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo)
Hi-speed fan switch
255/60R-15 rear tires
Subframe connectors
Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

lkaboutautos.com...

Old February 19th 05, 06:53 PM
runnininmy70stang

yup new, Who then was he talking to?

Old February 19th 05, 06:54 PM
runnininmy70stang

got ya Ill get it sooner or later. That did get me little confused.

Old February 19th 05, 06:56 PM
.boB

runnininmy70stang wrote:

> first the skip I refer to is idling dont notice it, when in drive and start
> going off and on sounds like motor burps or something. like its in the
> firing.
> I set to top dead center by removing spark plug and putting in finger
> till it gets forced out by pressure. Is there a better way without right
> equiptment. When I did this on passanger side the rotor was pointing to
> #5 plug wire. This is wrong I imagine. The Chilton I have has the firing
> order but no pics.
> bobc, are you saying I should take the 1 wire and put it where the 5 is
> and so on in the order of 15426378 and what direction should I go on dist.
> to right clockwise or left counter clockwise?

Yes, that's correct. The engine doesn't really
car where the distributor is clocked to, as long as
it's sending fire to the correct cylinder at the
correct time.
Based on your description, your timing could be
off by as much as 45*. That's a lot, but it will still
run (poorly). To be sure, place a timing gun on the
engine and see where it's at exactly, then you don't
have to guess.

As for the miss, lot's of things can cause that.
Timing is on the top of the list. So once the timing
is correct, don't get discouraged if the miss is still
there. I had a similar problem on a 302 a few years
back. I messed with the ignition for a while, because
I was sure it was the problem.
Eventually, I found a small piece of crud stuck in
one of the main jets. Not enough to plug it, but just
enough to cause it to stumble.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Old February 19th 05, 06:57 PM
runnininmy70stang

wires are new. 8mm yellow. coil new, condensor and point, all is new.
carb is even new. I think that the wires when bought are on wrong post.
when pressure took finger out of 1 the rotor was pointing to 5. Would I
have to move all plugs to the left counter clockwise, so that 1 is being
pointed to?

Old February 19th 05, 06:59 PM
runnininmy70stang

Im sticking around. Dont need a mechanic locally that says #1 is driver
side working on my car. Id rather do it al my self. Eventually Ill have
a stroker motor.

Old February 19th 05, 07:38 PM
runnininmy70stang

what is the best way to set it at top dead center with out right
equiptment. Can I Take out 1 plug and turn fan till its set or the finger
thing?

Old February 19th 05, 07:48 PM
runnininmy70stang

Old February 20th 05, 12:35 AM
David M

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 13:59:28 -0500, runnininmy70stang rearranged some
electrons to form:

#1 is the front passenger side.

--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

Old February 20th 05, 12:42 AM
David M

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 13:53:18 -0500, runnininmy70stang rearranged some
electrons to form:

> yup new, Who then was he talking to?

You need to set your newsreader to a "threaded view". Then
you can see who is replying to who.

You might also read this:

http://directory.google.com/Top/Comp...net/Etiquette/

It's best to just LISTEN for a while before posting.

--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled
T/S 53
sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 6 days 7:12