mice in 94 740IL glove box

Old January 5th 05, 02:21 AM

Default mice in 94 740IL glove box

Anyone else experience mice nests in a BMW glove compartment? I put traps
in the garage, which seems to have stopped it for the time being. Had to
clean out nests every 2-3 days for the last month.

Old January 5th 05, 02:51 AM
Dan Drake

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 19:21:00 -0600, > wrote:

>Anyone else experience mice nests in a BMW glove compartment? I put traps
>in the garage, which seems to have stopped it for the time being. Had to
>clean out nests every 2-3 days for the last month.

No, but a year or two ago I had a mouse in a coat closet that ate a
hole in the sleeve of a nice leather jacket that was hanging in there.

Quite frankly, I'd have preferred it to have made a nest in the glove
box of my car than to have eaten a hole in a perfectly good leather
jacket.

It makes me wonder why I bother to keep two cats in the house.
--
Dan Drake
Old January 5th 05, 02:56 AM
daytripper

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 19:21:00 -0600, > wrote:

>Anyone else experience mice nests in a BMW glove compartment? I put traps
>in the garage, which seems to have stopped it for the time being. Had to
>clean out nests every 2-3 days for the last month.

And I bet if you ask your dealer he'll tell you "Oh, they all do that" ;-)
Old January 5th 05, 03:26 AM

> wrote in :

> Anyone else experience mice nests in a BMW glove compartment? I put
> traps in the garage, which seems to have stopped it for the time
> being. Had to clean out nests every 2-3 days for the last month.

I feel your pain. I usually keep a bar of 'one bite' in my glove box,
although the downside is they sometimes decide to die in the heater
vents.

The other thing I do is set out those sticky traps -- they're like a flat
bit of heavy paper with super sticky surface, and i'll set those out in
the car. Its got some bait in the middle and when the lil *******s go
for it they get stuck. Then you can throw out the whole thing, and they
don't find a nasty spot to die. sucks when they get overturned and stuck
to your carpet tho.

Even worse are wood rats (I live in the boonies). They love to set up
shop in my engine compartment right on the battery in my 74 tii -- build
a giant nest of sticks and then chew wires and so on. Nothing like poping
the hood and seeing a mess of sticks filling your engine compartment.
When they get thick I duct tape a chunk of one bite on my battery and
check it once in a while.

Grrr

best of luck

-z
Old January 5th 05, 09:01 PM
Al

> Anyone else experience mice nests in a BMW glove compartment?

One of the UK BMW mags had a photo of a dead mouse and it's food store
inside an air filter housing :-)

It's also not unusual for blackbirds or robins to build nests under wheel
arches.

I've also heard of cats climbing up into the engine bay at night, and the
owners stopping the car the next morning to find out what the terrible
noise under the bonnet is!

Al.
Old January 6th 05, 04:11 PM
Somebody

"Al" > wrote in message
. 4...
> > Anyone else experience mice nests in a BMW glove compartment?

> One of the UK BMW mags had a photo of a dead mouse and it's food store
> inside an air filter housing :-)
>
> It's also not unusual for blackbirds or robins to build nests under wheel
> arches.
>
> I've also heard of cats climbing up into the engine bay at night, and the
> owners stopping the car the next morning to find out what the terrible
> noise under the bonnet is!

I know somebody that one traced a terrible noise when climate control was
on, to dog food in the ducts. One could speculate that mice were involved.

-Russ.

Old January 9th 05, 03:52 AM
Bent

I cleaned out a mouse's food pantry that was in my '94 325is. The air
filter box was full of maple keys. Yes the performance was starting
to suffer, so I decided to check the air filter and found at least
500 maple tree keys. The little bugger was also starting to nest
under the hood insulation blanket. He's gone now, bless his little
soul. Used a glue mat, and dropped a brick on his head in the
morning.

Soft Touch trunk won't stay closed on 740iL BMW 0 December 29th 04 04:47 PM
94 740IL - new amplifier? BMW 5 November 14th 04 06:19 PM
Is a '98 740il for $10,900 a good buy? Joe BMW 13 October 23rd 04 08:02 PM
Glove compartment Ron Kiestra Audi 5 October 19th 04 11:34 PM
2000 740iL question Jason BMW 0 October 2nd 04 11:03 PM