What does BMW stand for?

Old December 2nd 04, 08:01 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

No 'n' at end of first word, as lods of posters have already stated.

More interesting to me was the note on the BMW website given about the
Otto-Werke.

Although the surname Otto is not unique it is quite rare. I am wondering if
that company has any connection with a descendant of Nicolaus August Otto,
the inventor of the four-stroke internal combustion engine. A quick search
on Google did not reveal anything.

However, it did reveal that both Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach (both
of Mercedes fame, of course) were in N A Otto's company 1872 - 1882. I bet
"not a lot of people know that", to quote Michael Caine.

http://www.loreley.de/otto-museum/

DAS
---

"Robert La Ferla"
message news:a_nrd.186810$R05.179780@attbi_s53...

> Bayerischen Motoren Werke GmbH is the correct name. It started out as
> Bayerischen Flugzeug-Werke

[...]and Italy.

Old December 2nd 04, 08:03 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Blew My Wad

Wanted Mercedes Benz (backwards...)

Etc.

DAS
---

ink.net...

Old December 2nd 04, 08:57 PM
Frank Kemper

pltrgyst > haute in die Tasten:

> Bayerischen Motoren Werke GmbH

Sorry Guys, but this question seems to be too hard to answer for those of
you who do not happen to live in Munich;-)

To be exact, BMW stands for Bayerische Motorenwerke (this means "Bavarian
Motor Works" or "Bavarian Engine Factories"). To make the origin of BMW
clearer, BMW names itself "Bayerische Motoren Werke", although this is
gramattically incorrect. The suffix GmhH is not accurate. GmbH stands for
"Gesellschaft mit begrenzter Haftung" which means "Company with limited
liability." This seems to be about the same as the abbreviation "Ltd."
behind many company names.

However, BMW is no limited company, it is a stock corporation (German:
Aktiengesellschft, abbreviation: AG). BMW stocks are traded at almost all
stock exchanges in Germany. I am not an economy professor, but I think that
BMW simply is too big to be a "Ltd." All major car manufacturers in Germany
are stock corporations. Sub-companies often are GmbH, for example the "BMW
Motorsport GmbH" (responsible for racing), the former "M-Technik GmbH"
(responsible for the M-cars) or the "BMW Technik GmbH" (think-tank which
develops new products).

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old December 2nd 04, 09:56 PM
Randolph

Frank Kemper wrote:
> The suffix GmhH is not accurate. GmbH stands for
> "Gesellschaft mit begrenzter Haftung" which means "Company with limited
> liability." This seems to be about the same as the abbreviation "Ltd."
> behind many company names.

I allways thought GmbH meant Gesellshaft mit betrügerischen
Hintergedanken.
Old December 2nd 04, 09:58 PM
Matt O'Toole

Frank Kemper wrote:

> However, BMW is no limited company, it is a stock corporation (German:
> Aktiengesellschft, abbreviation: AG). BMW stocks are traded at almost
> all stock exchanges in Germany.

This is true, but for all practical purposes, BMW is a semi-private company. I
believe the Quandt family still owns a majority of the shares, with the rest of
the shares held mostly by a few others.

I believe this is what allows BMW to build the unique cars that they do. If
they were more widely held, the executives would be expected to follow the
mainstream more closely. They're becoming less unique as it is.

Matt O.

Old December 2nd 04, 11:56 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Oh DEAR.

Something is either unique or it isn't.

There are no degrees of uniqueness, not in our dimension anyway.

DAS
---

{...]

Old December 3rd 04, 12:35 AM
Frank Kemper

Randolph > haute in die Tasten:

> I allways thought GmbH meant Gesellshaft mit betrügerischen
> Hintergedanken.

Of course this is true in most cases, although the heads of german economy
try to keep it as a secret;-)

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old December 3rd 04, 12:43 AM
Frank Kemper

"Matt O'Toole" > haute in die Tasten:

> This is true, but for all practical purposes, BMW is a semi-private
> company. I believe the Quandt family still owns a majority of the
> shares, with the rest of the shares held mostly by a few others.

Yes, but the Quandt family is not necessarily a bunch of car fanatics. They
hold the majority of BMW shares mainly for one purpose: increase their
wealth. The Quandt family is known as being quite loyal to BMW, but if
times are rough and offers are promising, it is always possible that they
simply sell BMW.

The best way for BMW to prevent this is: success.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old December 3rd 04, 02:47 PM
Fred W

Dori A Schmetterling wrote:
> Eisenach...(not Eisencher)

That's not what it said on their logo:

<http://home.clara.net/peterfrost/emw.html>

-Fred W
Old December 3rd 04, 03:23 PM
Fred W

Frank Kemper wrote:

> Sorry Guys, but this question seems to be too hard to answer for those of
> you who do not happen to live in Munich;-)
>
> To be exact, BMW stands for Bayerische Motorenwerke (this means "Bavarian
> Motor Works" or "Bavarian Engine Factories"). To make the origin of BMW
> clearer, BMW names itself "Bayerische Motoren Werke", although this is
> gramattically incorrect. The suffix GmhH is not accurate. GmbH stands for
> "Gesellschaft mit begrenzter Haftung" which means "Company with limited
> liability." This seems to be about the same as the abbreviation "Ltd."
> behind many company names.
>
> However, BMW is no limited company, it is a stock corporation (German:
> Aktiengesellschft, abbreviation: AG). BMW stocks are traded at almost all
> stock exchanges in Germany. I am not an economy professor, but I think that
> BMW simply is too big to be a "Ltd." All major car manufacturers in Germany
> are stock corporations. Sub-companies often are GmbH, for example the "BMW
> Motorsport GmbH" (responsible for racing), the former "M-Technik GmbH"
> (responsible for the M-cars) or the "BMW Technik GmbH" (think-tank which
> develops new products).

Thanks. I always wondered what the GmbH and AG stood for.

-Fred W