97' GV 3.3 cooling fan problem

Old March 5th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default 97' GV 3.3 cooling fan problem

Hello:
i am having a problem with my 97' GV 3.3 cooling fans,problem is that
while i'm in stop and go traffic as you may know engine gets hotter and
the cooling fans come on as does mine,except that mine will stay on at
the higher speed and will NOT shut off at times until i turn off the
engine ans restart it again and they will come back on when the temp
reaches a higher lever and then again will not shut off until i turn
off the engine.
i have replace the cooling fan relay which is up under the left side
wheel well.
thr coolant temp sensor is working properly.
so can anyone tell me what may be causing this problem.

Thank You
Earl

Old March 5th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Bentracer and Bentrider" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello:
> i am having a problem with my 97' GV 3.3 cooling fans,problem is that
> while i'm in stop and go traffic as you may know engine gets hotter and
> the cooling fans come on as does mine,except that mine will stay on at
> the higher speed and will NOT shut off at times until i turn off the
> engine ans restart it again and they will come back on when the temp
> reaches a higher lever and then again will not shut off until i turn
> off the engine.
> i have replace the cooling fan relay which is up under the left side
> wheel well.
> thr coolant temp sensor is working properly.
> so can anyone tell me what may be causing this problem.
>
> Thank You
> Earl

The first thing to check would be the coolant level in the overflow tank and
the radiator.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old March 5th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Glen:
all of my fluid levels are topped off.

Old March 5th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Bentracer and Bentrider" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello:
> i am having a problem with my 97' GV 3.3 cooling fans,problem is that
> while i'm in stop and go traffic as you may know engine gets hotter and
> the cooling fans come on as does mine,except that mine will stay on at
> the higher speed and will NOT shut off at times until i turn off the
> engine ans restart it again and they will come back on when the temp
> reaches a higher lever and then again will not shut off until i turn
> off the engine.
> i have replace the cooling fan relay which is up under the left side
> wheel well.
> thr coolant temp sensor is working properly.
> so can anyone tell me what may be causing this problem.
>
> Thank You
> Earl

The coolant temp sensor that controls the fan is in the coolant passage on
the engine. If the thermostat is not opening all the way it will cause the
fan to run longer .
When the fans are on..... see if the air coming across the radiator is cool
after they have been running for awhile, if so you may want to replace the
thermostat.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old March 5th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Glen:
i forget to mention that i did replace the radiator and had to remove
the fans,could it be possible that i have mistaken and plug the fans
the wrong way?
shouldn't the primary fan come on first and both at the same time when
i'm not using the AC or defroster? should i switch the plugs on the
fans?
and would it be wise to change the thermostat and cooling temp sensor
and also should i lubricate the shafts on each fan?
Glen,
Thank you very much for your input

Earl

Old March 5th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Bentracer and Bentrider" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Glen:
> i forget to mention that i did replace the radiator and had to remove
> the fans,could it be possible that i have mistaken and plug the fans
> the wrong way?
> shouldn't the primary fan come on first and both at the same time when
> i'm not using the AC or defroster? should i switch the plugs on the
> fans?
> and would it be wise to change the thermostat and cooling temp sensor
> and also should i lubricate the shafts on each fan?
> Glen,
> Thank you very much for your input
>
> Earl

They should only plug in one way, And I dont think you could get them mixed
up. What was the reason why you replaced the radiator? And yes I would
replace the thermostat. They are easy to do and cheap. Besides, that will
more then likely take care of the problem

No need to lube shafts.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old March 6th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Glen:
the radiator had a leak at two different places.

Thanks
Earl

Old March 6th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Bentracer and Bentrider" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Glen:
> the radiator had a leak at two different places.
>
> Thanks
> Earl

A blown head gasket could cause combustion pressure to enter the cooling
system and cause the temperature to rise and can cause the radiator to leak
at the seams. If this were the problem you would be adding coolant allot and
not seeing where it is going because it goes out the tailpipe. Assuming you
don't have this problem I would replace the Thermostat.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech