Couple questions about '96 Grand Voyager

Old December 15th 04, 02:37 AM
Matt Ion

Default Couple questions about '96 Grand Voyager

Anyone have any idea why the thermometer display in the overhead console
would suddenly start reading 0 degrees, occaisionally dropping to low,
low negatives (-75 was observed once!)? The rest of the display
(compass, Odometer, DTE, etc.) all works fine, so I suspect a problem
with the sensor itself... anyone have an idea where the sensor for this
thing is located and if there's any simple test procedure for it
(resistance measurement or something)?

There've been a couple other strange electrical problems as well: for
the longest time, the left-turn signal would stick on, sometimes
immediately on activation, sometimes after a couple blinks, and would
even stay on with the key turned off. All bulbs, fuses and relays
checked fine and it was only on left-turn that it happened. This
particular issue went away a couple months ago all by itself, after
being an annoyance for several months previously, and hasn't returned since.

Another more current oddity is that sometimes the wipers will go on
steady "low" when set to any intermittant setting, and when this
happens, turning them off causes them to stop instantly where they are.
This happens only very intermittantly and disappears as quickly as it
appears.
Old December 15th 04, 04:20 AM
Rick

That year was plagued with ground point problems, causing very strange
symptoms. I suggest that you locate the ground stud at the base of the trans
dipstick and clean it up. That fixed my ghost wipers. There are others too;
one, I believe associated with the body control computer and is under the
dash.
Rick

Old December 15th 04, 04:20 AM
Rick

Old December 15th 04, 08:25 AM
Matt Ion

Rick wrote:
> That year was plagued with ground point problems, causing very strange
> symptoms. I suggest that you locate the ground stud at the base of the trans
> dipstick and clean it up. That fixed my ghost wipers. There are others too;
> one, I believe associated with the body control computer and is under the
> dash.
> Rick

Interesting... thanks for the tip, I'll check that out.

BTW, I should have noted before, on this temp-display thing... I DID do
the requisite Google search first (I'm a 'net old-timer, I know the
drill and nothing I turned up has applied so far other than actually
tracking down and testing the sensor; all the suggestions I found for
onboard diagnostics don't seem to apply to the '96.

Old December 15th 04, 08:25 AM
Matt Ion

Old December 15th 04, 12:07 PM
damnnickname

More then likely the ambient temp sensor is bad, it is located on the front
of the raditor support, just behind the grille, as far as the t/s go, you
probably have a faulty Multifunction switch
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler tech

Old December 16th 04, 01:58 AM
mic canic

in this case since you have a few issue's elecyrical i would get the fault codes
pulled from the bcm and start there esp. since the wipers are acting up and there
is big time issues wit the bcm's on these vans and a hard fault code can sendf you
in the right direction so you don't throw good money after bad

Old December 16th 04, 01:58 AM
mic canic