Tire pressure

Old October 2nd 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Terry

Default Tire pressure

I just bought a set of tires. They are for an SUV. The tires are
about a week old. They look slack to me. The tire says on the side
that max pressure is 40PSI. I took a tire pressure gauge and all the
tires are 33 PSI.

I assume that that is the recommended pressure but I can't find out
exactly. This is the link to the tires but I don't see a recommended
pressure.

http://www.lemanstire.com/tires/catalog/lemans-ht.jsp

Old October 2nd 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
jcr

Terry wrote:
> I just bought a set of tires. They are for an SUV. The tires are
> about a week old. They look slack to me. The tire says on the side
> that max pressure is 40PSI. I took a tire pressure gauge and all the
> tires are 33 PSI.
>
> I assume that that is the recommended pressure but I can't find out
> exactly. This is the link to the tires but I don't see a recommended
> pressure.
>
> http://www.lemanstire.com/tires/catalog/lemans-ht.jsp

Open your drivers side door and look along the edge for the sticker that
will tell you the proper pressure for your vehicle. If not there, look
n the manual. Never use the PSI markings on the tire.
Old October 2nd 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

jcr wrote: <brevity snip>
> Terry wrote:
> > I just bought a set of tires. They are for an SUV. The tires are
> > about a week old. They look slack to me. The tire says on the side
> > that max pressure is 40PSI. I took a tire pressure gauge and all the
> > tires are 33 PSI.
> >
> > I assume that that is the recommended pressure but I can't find out
> > exactly. This is the link to the tires but I don't see a recommended
> > pressure.
> >

> Open your drivers side door and look along the edge for the sticker that
> will tell you the proper pressure for your vehicle. If not there, look
> n the manual.

Yes, tire pressures are determined by the vehicle manufacturer since
the tire manufacturer has no way of knowing on which vehicle/s the
tires might be installed. But the vehicle manufacturer specs one size
tire and only recommends tire pressures for it. If you should choose
to install a different size tire the optimal pressure may vary.

A good way to tell if a tire is low w/o a gauge is to examine the wear
pattern. The tire should show contact at the point where tread and
sidwall meet and not beyond. Use the contact patch as noted when the
tires are properly inflated as a reference.
-----

- gpsman

Old October 2nd 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Terry said in
rec.autos.driving:
> I just bought a set of tires. They are for an SUV. The tires are
> about a week old. They look slack to me. The tire says on the side
> that max pressure is 40PSI. I took a tire pressure gauge and all the
> tires are 33 PSI.
>
> I assume that that is the recommended pressure but I can't find out
> exactly. This is the link to the tires but I don't see a recommended
> pressure.
>
> http://www.lemanstire.com/tires/catalog/lemans-ht.jsp

Somewhere on your vehicle, probablly on one of the door jambs or maybe
on the inside of the glovebox is a sticker with the vehicle
manufacturer's recommended tire pressures. This is mostlikely also in
the owners manual. That is what you should go by.

--
"Look down on me, you will see a fool.
Look up at me, you will see your lord.

Dissatisfied with Discount Tire [email protected] Technology 8 August 30th 06 07:00 PM
Tire Pressure (How low can I go?) news Technology 7 November 14th 05 07:10 PM
Tire Pressure Monitor Luke Corvette 56 September 3rd 05 10:11 PM
Tire pressure must be monitored on new models !!! news BMW 2 September 20th 04 10:24 PM