Ford Explorer Cracked Rear Liftgate (Just below glass)

Old February 19th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Ford Explorer Cracked Rear Liftgate (Just below glass)

My bother came over yesterday and was upset because he had noticed a
crack in the rear hatch just below the window (just right of the Ford
symbol). We both looked at my Explorer and there was no sign of a
crack. I went out to my Explorer today (26 degrees currently) and
guess what.. SAME CRACK! This has to be a manufacturers defect.

Based on the previous referenced $250 estimate, I would say something
has to be done.

Has anyone been successful in getting Ford to do something about this?

Old February 19th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

There's been a couple of TSBs on the subject that I can recall but I
believe both only dealt with replacement technique. FWIW, TSBs never offer
any warranty extensions and are designed simply to make the techs job a
little easier or quicker.

If enough people complained, I imagine Ford may or may not offer a customer
satisfaction program but I certainly wouldn't hold my breath since this is
not a safety issue.

Good luck...

oups.com...

Old February 19th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> There's been a couple of TSBs on the subject that I can recall but I
> believe both only dealt with replacement technique. FWIW, TSBs never offer
> any warranty extensions and are designed simply to make the techs job a
> little easier or quicker.
>
> If enough people complained, I imagine Ford may or may not offer a
> customer satisfaction program but I certainly wouldn't hold my breath
> since this is not a safety issue.
>
> Good luck...

What year are we talking? I have an '04 and '98 and can't imagine what
would crack.

Old February 19th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

IIRC, this centres around the 02 model year... can't remember if it's job 1
cars, job 2 cars or both affected. There is a plastic panel that attaches to
the botttom of the liftgate glass that cracks vertically through the middle.

Old February 21st 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I have had the panel replaced twice on our '02. Cracked the 1st time, and it
was replaced the 2nd time because when it was replaced the 1st time it was
done improperly (rain water would collect behind the panel an would only
drain out when you opened the window to the open/up position.

wth

Old February 21st 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

If it's an '02 and you are the origional owner, I would be at the dealership
wanting ford to replace it n/c.

wth

oups.com...

Old February 25th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Mine is an '02 and I am not the original owner. They replaced the
cracked panel when they did the rear window hinges under the recall.

My vehicle is faaaar out of warranty. I have 85k miles and they did it
all for free. Mine happened at a car wash when it was 10 degrees
outside and they put hot water on my tailgate to wash it with the mop
thing to remove the salt buildup.