169 427 short block - are people really that stupid?

Old November 3rd 04, 03:23 PM
Tom in Missouri

Default 169 427 short block - are people really that stupid?

On eBay there is a 1969 427 shortblock.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tego ry=33613

However, the "builder" had the block decked, destroying all the stamped
numbers. This eliminates any value the engine had as being placed in a
Corvette or other car for restoration. Now it is just an engine, yet he
wants the money for a restoration engine.

Wonder how many will sucker into it?

Old November 3rd 04, 06:37 PM
Diode

Tom in Missouri spoke thusly:

> However, the "builder" had the block decked, destroying all the stamped
> numbers. This eliminates any value the engine had as being placed in a

Hey Tom, I've heard about this problem before and it confuses the hell
out of me. Don't you have to remove A LOT of material from the block
before you get down to the numbers?? I mean, wouldn't you normally only
take a few thousands of an inch of the block, not a few inches? What gives?

--

Shut up, Dave.

-|>|- Diode -|<|-
'68 L-79 Coupe
'79 Triumph Bonneville
Old November 3rd 04, 06:37 PM
Diode

Old November 3rd 04, 08:09 PM
Charlie Funk

> On eBay there is a 1969 427 shortblock.

Is $5500 a good price for this engine IF the numbers were on it and it has
the right casting dates, etc.?
--
Charlie Funk
Just Cruisin' Plus
ink.net...

Old November 3rd 04, 08:09 PM
Charlie Funk

Old November 3rd 04, 09:19 PM
Kickstart

>>> However, the "builder" had the block decked, destroying all the stamped
>>> numbers. This eliminates any value the engine had as being placed in a

Huh ?
Where does it say the #'s are destroyed ?
My buddy's got 7 454's for that kind of $ anyone want one ?

Kickstart

Old November 3rd 04, 09:19 PM
Kickstart

Old November 4th 04, 06:27 AM
Barking Rats

In article >,
"Charlie Funk" > wrote:

> Is $5500 a good price for this engine IF the numbers were on it and it has
> the right casting dates, etc.?

Absolutely if you have the chassis & body this block was originally
mated with at the factory.

Regardless of what numbers may have been on the pad or removed in the
refurb, a buyer would have to attempt to replicate the engine pad
stampings to match the appropriate model, engine option, etc. for it to
be anything other than a replacement engine. In other words, unless
you're going to try to replicate (with the likely idea to mislead)
others into believing it's the original block, one could just as easily,
and probably more economically, drop in a crate or rebuilt junkyard
engine. Also note this is a 2-bolt block, so it wasn't originally a high
HP engine and is not as sought as a 4-bolt.
Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen
___

'67BB & '72BB
___

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
-- Ann Hayman Zwinger
Old November 4th 04, 06:27 AM
Barking Rats

Old November 4th 04, 01:32 PM
Tom in Missouri

It really doesn't take that much to clear the numbers. However, equally
important in judging the originality of a stamp pad are the broach marks,
the lines, or "grain", in the metal where the broaching machine that cuts
the decks in the factory and leaves its mark. These can be damaged using
sandpaper to remove paint from the pad, so decking .010 or more could easily
remove them.

Without those, it is assumed the block was decked to remove numbers and then
new numbers stamped in. With original motor cars selling for $20, $30,
$40,000 and more above the price of a non-original motor car, this becomes
not a trivial matter.

Even on an unrestored, not completely original car (a driver by most, one
that tires are whatever, wheels changed, probably lots of aftermarket stuff
like plug wires, valve covers, hoses, clamps, etc.), you can find NOM
midyears in the mid $20s and an original motor midyear of equivalent
condition and quality in the mid $30s, so even here, the original engine can
equate to $10,000.

Of course, the numbers mean the engine really has value only to two people -
the one selling and the one who has the car.

Now if you go to a shop to build an engine, you could easily spend this
much, and some shops will get double or triple based on their reputation,
but they wouldn't be building that type of motor with a 2-bolt main 427.
And buying over the Internet without any idea to the shop's reputation is a
bit risky.

This guy is pushing on the restoration angle, and the value to restorers has
been wiped out.