Fix for G25 shifter?

Old April 21st 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
RocketMan[_2_]

Default Fix for G25 shifter?

I have owned two Logitech G25 wheels, and both have ended up with the
same problem. After approximately 9 months (very careful) use the
sequential shift starts playing up. When I attempt to change gears (push
lever forward) the unit changes two gears instead of one. This starts
off happening about every 50 gear changes, and slowly gets more frequent.
As you can imagine this gets very frustrating as the car locks up the
rear wheels and tries to spin. BTW I almost exclusively play GTR2 with
my G25, although I'm sure it is not a problem with the software.
Does anyone know of a website explaining (with pictures?) how to fix
this problem? I assume it is a problem with one of the switches in the
gear shifter. The H-pattern gear change still works fine, although I
don't use the H-pattern much (GTL). Sequential gear change enables me to
go down the gears much quicker than the H-pattern or paddles.
I use my wheel/pedals/gears about 40 hours per month, which I don't
think is excessive, and do not wish to have to buy a new G25 unit every
9 months. I am very careful with my G25, and do not let anyone else use
the unit.
When I have returned the unit (under warranty) the retailer has had
the unit for about four weeks, and returned it saying their is nothing
wrong with the unit! The problem is still there, except the shifter is
more 'sloppy' upon return!
Any help or advice would be VERY much appreciated. TIA.

RocketMan.
Old April 21st 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

"RocketMan" > wrote in message
> I have owned two Logitech G25 wheels, and both have ended up with the
> same problem. After approximately 9 months (very careful) use the
> sequential shift starts playing up. When I attempt to change gears (push
> lever forward) the unit changes two gears instead of one. This starts off
> happening about every 50 gear changes, and slowly gets more frequent.
> As you can imagine this gets very frustrating as the car locks up the
> rear wheels and tries to spin. BTW I almost exclusively play GTR2 with my
> G25, although I'm sure it is not a problem with the software.
> Does anyone know of a website explaining (with pictures?) how to fix
> this problem? I assume it is a problem with one of the switches in the
> gear shifter. The H-pattern gear change still works fine, although I don't
> use the H-pattern much (GTL). Sequential gear change enables me to go down
> the gears much quicker than the H-pattern or paddles.
> I use my wheel/pedals/gears about 40 hours per month, which I don't
> think is excessive, and do not wish to have to buy a new G25 unit every 9
> months. I am very careful with my G25, and do not let anyone else use the
> unit.
> When I have returned the unit (under warranty) the retailer has had the
> unit for about four weeks, and returned it saying their is nothing wrong
> with the unit! The problem is still there, except the shifter is more
> 'sloppy' upon return!
> Any help or advice would be VERY much appreciated. TIA.
>
> RocketMa

Can't help with your specific problem. But the shifter uses axis not
buttons.

But I'm interested in hoe the sequential is faster than the paddles. Surely
they should be the same?

Old April 22nd 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

RocketMan > wrote in
:

> I have owned two Logitech G25 wheels, and both have ended up with the
> same problem. After approximately 9 months (very careful) use the
> sequential shift starts playing up. When I attempt to change gears (push
> lever forward) the unit changes two gears instead of one. This starts
> off happening about every 50 gear changes, and slowly gets more
> frequent.
> As you can imagine this gets very frustrating as the car locks up the
> rear wheels and tries to spin. BTW I almost exclusively play GTR2 with
> my G25, although I'm sure it is not a problem with the software.
> Does anyone know of a website explaining (with pictures?) how to fix
> this problem? I assume it is a problem with one of the switches in the
> gear shifter. The H-pattern gear change still works fine, although I
> don't use the H-pattern much (GTL). Sequential gear change enables me to
> go down the gears much quicker than the H-pattern or paddles.
> I use my wheel/pedals/gears about 40 hours per month, which I don't
> think is excessive, and do not wish to have to buy a new G25 unit every
> 9 months. I am very careful with my G25, and do not let anyone else use
> the unit.
> When I have returned the unit (under warranty) the retailer has had
> the unit for about four weeks, and returned it saying their is nothing
> wrong with the unit! The problem is still there, except the shifter is
> more 'sloppy' upon return!
> Any help or advice would be VERY much appreciated. TIA.

See my earlier post titled "relief from terror". Sounds like it might be
the same problem. If you're handy with a screwdriver and don't break
things when you open them up, it's the best solution. Otherwise get
someone who doesn't.

Old April 22nd 09, 04:19 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
RocketMan[_2_]

Thanks for the heads-up.
The sequential shift is faster for me, as there is less travel on the
shifter. As you have to wait for the paddle or shift lever to return to
it's starting position before being able to select the next gear, the
almost nil travel of the shift lever is quicker. The paddles (on my G25s
anyway) have quite a bit of travel before they even change gear.
I hope I'm not missing anything here.

RocketMan.

Old April 22nd 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
RocketMan[_2_]

Thanks for the advice, APLer.
I have some CRC 2-26. That would be good to clean the contacts with, aye?

RocketMan.

Old April 22nd 09, 08:13 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"RocketMan" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the heads-up.
> The sequential shift is faster for me, as there is less travel on the
> shifter. As you have to wait for the paddle or shift lever to return to
> it's starting position before being able to select the next gear, the
> almost nil travel of the shift lever is quicker. The paddles (on my G25s
> anyway) have quite a bit of travel before they even change gear.
> I hope I'm not missing anything here.

Interesting, as my paddles have way less travel then the shifter lever. The
paddles have about an 8th of an inch and the shifter an inch on my wheel.

Old April 22nd 09, 10:28 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
hoover

Hello Rocketman,

in rF there is a setting in the PLR file that might help you given that gtr2 and rF stem use the gMotor2 engine:

Repeat Shifts="0" // 0 = no repeat shift detection, 1 = detect and eliminate accidental repeat shifts within 100ms, 2 = 150ms, 3 = 200ms, 4 = 250ms, 5 = prevent shifting again before previous shift is completed

This might help with preventing future double downshifts.

All the best & HTH,

Uwe

Old April 22nd 09, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
RocketMan[_2_]

Thanks very much, Uwe!
I'll definitely have to try that when I finish work!!

RocketMan.

Old April 22nd 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

RocketMan > wrote in
:

> Thanks for the advice, APLer.
> I have some CRC 2-26. That would be good to clean the contacts with,
> aye?

No idea *what* that is. Sounds like a TV regulation to me (that part of
what in the US is the FCC is called the CRTC up here). You don't have any
WD 40??? How strange.

Old April 23rd 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jan Verschueren

"RocketMan" wrote...
> Thanks for the advice, APLer.
> I have some CRC 2-26. That would be good to clean the contacts with,
> aye?

Should do the trick...