GPL FLAGMAN

Old April 14th 09, 01:01 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
istoff

Default GPL FLAGMAN

Hi all.

In 2001, I wrote a utility for GPL called GPLFlagman. Its purpose was
to move the position of the pitboard guy to a position after the start/
finish which would allow you to get your laptimes immediately instead
of one lap later.

I had forgotten about it until I accidently remembered I used to have
a fortunecities website which hosted it.

I was amazed to see that it was still being downloaded and that people
had continued to use it until recently. I am sure there are other
alternatives out there by now as it didn't cater to all the subsequent
GPL mods which came out in later years. I also found some references
to it, one of which pointing out that the app didn't move the flagman,
but the pitboard guy which makes the app's name a bit of a joke. oh
well.

I also noticed that the email address on the site to contact me is one
I have long since left behind so that kind of made it pointless and
impossible for anyone to contact me or request improvements/ fixes.

As I have come to appreciate open source and community efforts so much
more in the intervening years, the state that I left this project
fills me with much remorse as having the source code out there might
have lead to a better program.

At any rate, I just wanted to express my sincere apologies to any
frustration that the app and its subsequent lack of improvement has
caused a community I have always had the highest regard for.

In 2006 my family narrow escaped our burning house and we lost most of
our possessions except for the clothes we were wearing and some stuff
we were able to recover from the damage. I *had* backups, but there
were destroyed along with my computers. etc. I no longer have the
sourcecode to this project. If I can remember the password to the
fortunecities site that hosts this site, I might find a backup there,
but I am not too hopeful. I also think that the grid I used was not
opensource so I guess I could not have released it then.

If there is still a demand for a replacement app to do the same and
perhaps a little more, please contact me and I will see if I can find
the time to re-develop it as a penance. I might even make it cross
platform as I am pretty much 99% a linux person now anyway. That
said, if somebody who is experienced at using Linux as the platform to
play GPL could make contact, that would also be appreciated. It would
certainly allow me to do the appropriate testing on both platforms.

Lastly, to anyone who has developed settings & updated info for the
application, thank you for keeping it alive.

Kind regards
Ian
istoff aht google's mail doht cohm
Old April 14th 09, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Don Jennings

"istoff" wrote...
> In 2001, I wrote a utility for GPL called GPLFlagman.

<snip>
> If there is still a demand for a replacement app to do the same and
> perhaps a little more, please contact me and I will see if I can find
> the time to re-develop it as a penance.

No penance needed. I haven't raced GPL for a few years, but let me be the
first (this time around) to say we appreciated your efforts in throwing out
free **** that added to the enjoyment of a well-made sim.

Old April 15th 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

On Apr 14, 8:01*am, istoff > wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> In 2001, I wrote a utility for GPL called GPLFlagman. *Its purpose was
> to move the position of the pitboard guy to a position after the start/
> finish *which would allow you to get your laptimes immediately instead
> of one lap later.
>
> I had forgotten about it until I accidently remembered I used to have
> a fortunecities website which hosted it.
>
> Kind regards
> Ian
> istoff aht google's mail doht cohm

Wow - great to hear from you. The GPL community is thriving and I use
the utility occasionally. Thanks for the creating it. Good to hear
you're safe after the fire!!

However, sometimes it's just easier to edit the track.ini file. Now,
we have several mods (65, 66, 69, Thunder Cars and soon more) some of
which use their own track.ini files. So the 69 mod creates and uses a
track69.ini, so to get the pitboard where you want it, you have to go
into the track69.ini anyway.

You should reinstall GPL and try out the different mods. Use the GPL
Preservation Society installer at http://gplps.org/wb/pages/projects/gpl-installer.php

Check out the forum at:
http://gplmz.bcsims.com/index.php?act=idx

There's an up to date links site at:
http://www.gpllinks.org/
Old April 15th 09, 05:45 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

istoff > wrote in
:

> Hi all.
>
> In 2001, I wrote a utility for GPL called GPLFlagman. Its purpose was
> to move the position of the pitboard guy to a position after the start/
> finish which would allow you to get your laptimes immediately instead
> of one lap later.

Hmm. Your later remarks about the writeup may be why I haven't tried it.
Something to be fixed soonest I would say. Will absolutely try it out now.

I never cease to be amazed at the cars/track/addons for this simulator.

Old April 15th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

istoff wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> In 2001, I wrote a utility for GPL called GPLFlagman. Its purpose was
> to move the position of the pitboard guy to a position after the start/
> finish which would allow you to get your laptimes immediately instead
> of one lap later.

and very useful it was too - much appreciated

> I also noticed that the email address on the site to contact me is one
> I have long since left behind so that kind of made it pointless and
> impossible for anyone to contact me or request improvements/ fixes.

Probably an email from Jack asking for the source code to include in
GPaL...
Old April 17th 09, 12:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

Hi,
> You should reinstall GPL and try out the different mods. *Use the GPL
> Preservation Society installer athttp://gplps.org/wb/pages/projects/gpl-installer.php

I will do. Hope it works under WINE in Linux, although I suspect I
will have to play in Windows to get the Controls & OpenGL working
properly.

> Check out the forum at:http://gplmz.bcsims.com/index.php?act=idx

> There's an up to date links site at:http://www.gpllinks.org/

All of these links have me amazed that GPL is still so popular. I
tried lapping kyalami the other day and was reminded how brutally
unforgiving it can be. It was difficult lapping consistently and then
I realised that the traction and braking aids were enabled. I took
them off and pretty much couldn't drive after that. I'd like to blame
it on old age or going 2 years without playing but I guess I ran out
of talent!

Thanks again for the links!
Old April 17th 09, 12:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

Its my understanding that one of the patches allows for realtime lap
information including sector times, etc?

If that's the case then I guess its not really needed anymore. Saves
me some work!
Old April 17th 09, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ron Ronchetto[_2_]

Yes... Istoff, the Pribluda Patch gives you realtime lap and sector time....
However, your work on GPL was, and still is greatly appreciated. There
still are many people driving GPL, even after all these years.... Heck, I
still get a thrill out of it, and drive in a couple of leagues.

The GEM patch makes it very easy to install GPL and get it up and running
with all the updates, and patches. Thanks to all who have devoted all their
time and effort towards it.

Old April 18th 09, 11:01 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

wrote in
:

> Hi,
>> You should reinstall GPL and try out the different mods. *Use the GPL
>> Preservation Society installer
>> athttp://gplps.org/wb/pages/projects/gpl-i

> nstaller.php
> I will do. Hope it works under WINE in Linux, although I suspect I
> will have to play in Windows to get the Controls & OpenGL working
> properly.
>
>> Check out the forum at:
http://gplmz.bcsims.com/index.php?act=idx

>> There's an up to date links site at:http://www.gpllinks.org/

> All of these links have me amazed that GPL is still so popular. I
> tried lapping kyalami the other day and was reminded how brutally
> unforgiving it can be. It was difficult lapping consistently and then
> I realised that the traction and braking aids were enabled. I took
> them off and pretty much couldn't drive after that. I'd like to blame
> it on old age or going 2 years without playing but I guess I ran out
> of talent!

Indeed. GPL *is* like that. I can consistantly do sub 8 minute times with
another game (with a 962) with both aids on the nurb and under 9:45 with
GPL is tough. Entirely possible if you don't mess up, but tough. It just
takes plenty of use is all. My first decent time was Monza. It's by far the
easiest course. Within a week I was within 3s of the record.
Old April 19th 09, 07:07 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

> The GEM patch makes it very easy to install GPL and get it up and running with all the updates, and patches. Thanks
> to all who have devoted all their time and effort towards it.

I still have the original large box with the fold out front panel, and another
Sold Out copy as back up.

If I reinstall the game, I now start off with the GPL 2004 demo, then copy the
track data I saved from the original game. One thing I'd like is better
sounds for the cars. I have a mild sound that I used to use for hot lapping
and another I used for replays. In the past I grabbed a sound from some
old mod to another game (one of the EA F1 games, with the mod sound being from
a V8 engine).

Any advantage to using the GEM version versus the GPL 2004 demo?