Strange Battery Issue

Old October 2nd 04, 07:38 AM
Jon Smith

A one-hundred milli-amp draw is normal with today's computer controlled
cars. If your car is left for over two weeks without starting it you
should disconnect the battery cable.

You should start with a freshly charged battery and see what the draw is
with nothing turned on and the battery cables connected. If you are
drawing more than 100 milli-amps you have something in the car that is
draining the battery.

If you have a 100 milli-amp draw or less you should be looking at the
age of the battery. Get a Interstate Megatron battery if it needs to be
replaced.

Lastly, check your alternator output since you did not say that the
alternator was new or original. The factory alternators are known to
fail at this age.

Old October 3rd 04, 11:08 PM
CCred68046

>In the future I will compare other deficient Corvette systems to light
>aircraft since this model is the flagship of GM and is supposed to
>represent the epitomy of engineering.

Interesting reading. I like it. I'm not sure why you have targeted the
Corvette as there are much more expensive sports cars and other automobiles
that also do not have aircraft features but go at it.
Keep something in mind Nomen, the basic concept of a sports car is fast and
light, they could add a lot of stuff but that adds weight. Perhaps you should
target something like a Maybach, http://www.maybachusa.com/
They insinuate their cars are close to being the ultimate automobile and carry
quite a price tag. Weight is no issue with them I'm sure.

Shut yer trap Dave.... By the way, who IS Dave?
Old October 3rd 04, 11:08 PM
CCred68046

Old October 4th 04, 05:37 AM
Rufio

"CCred68046<SNIP>

> Shut yer trap Dave.... By the way, who IS Dave?

You'll find out - but bear in mind, there's more than 1 Dave on this NG. I'm
one that is NOT from IL.

Old October 4th 04, 05:37 AM
Rufio

"CCred68046<SNIP>

Old October 4th 04, 02:30 PM
Diode

Nomen Nescio spoke thusly:

> When the ignition switch is turned off, the master battery relay
> disconnects the battery. Battery drain is ZERO MILLIAMPERES. If the

And with the battery disconnected, what is powering the electronics that
require a small amount of standby current, like the computer? A battery
the size of a car battery should have no problem handling this amount of
current draw for months and months.

--

Shut up, Dave.

-|>|- Diode -|<|-
'68 L-79 Coupe
'79 Triumph Bonneville
Old October 4th 04, 02:30 PM
Diode

Old October 4th 04, 02:35 PM
CardsFan

"CCred68046" > wrote in message
> >In the future I will compare other deficient Corvette systems to light
> >aircraft since this model is the flagship of GM and is supposed to
> >represent the epitomy of engineering.

> Interesting reading. I like it. I'm not sure why you have targeted the
> Corvette as there are much more expensive sports cars and other

automobiles
> that also do not have aircraft features but go at it.
> Keep something in mind Nomen, the basic concept of a sports car is fast

and
> light, they could add a lot of stuff but that adds weight. Perhaps you

should
> target something like a Maybach, http://www.maybachusa.com/
> They insinuate their cars are close to being the ultimate automobile and

carry
> quite a price tag. Weight is no issue with them I'm sure.

I'm waiting on this guy to start ripping on God for not designing
quadruple-redundant systems into human beings. Humans are way too
complicated. Way too many avenues of failure.

Hey, call me unedumacated, but seems to me you need a little more margin for
error if a component failure means falling out of the sky in a death spiral
vs. coasting to a stop and calling the auto club.

> Shut yer trap Dave.... By the way, who IS Dave?

Oh, he's your typical internet pain in the ass. He considers himself to be
eminently qualified to stick his nose into your business, tell you how to
live, and to pass judgement on you, all while being completely unable to
detect his own glaring flaws. IOW, your average troll in fundamentalist
religious clothing.

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Old October 4th 04, 02:35 PM
CardsFan

Old October 6th 04, 03:32 AM
Dad

"CardsFan" > wrote in message

> "CCred68046" > wrote in message
>> >In the future I will compare other deficient Corvette systems to light
>> >aircraft since this model is the flagship of GM and is supposed to
>> >represent the epitomy of engineering.

>> Interesting reading. I like it. I'm not sure why you have targeted the
>> Corvette as there are much more expensive sports cars and other

> automobiles
>> that also do not have aircraft features but go at it.
>> Keep something in mind Nomen, the basic concept of a sports car is fast

> and
>> light, they could add a lot of stuff but that adds weight. Perhaps you

> should
>> target something like a Maybach, http://www.maybachusa.com/
>> They insinuate their cars are close to being the ultimate automobile and

> carry
>> quite a price tag. Weight is no issue with them I'm sure.

> I'm waiting on this guy to start ripping on God for not designing
> quadruple-redundant systems into human beings. Humans are way too
> complicated. Way too many avenues of failure.
>
> Hey, call me unedumacated, but seems to me you need a little more margin
> for
> error if a component failure means falling out of the sky in a death
> spiral
> vs. coasting to a stop and calling the auto club.
>
>> Shut yer trap Dave.... By the way, who IS Dave?

> Oh, he's your typical internet pain in the ass. He considers himself to
> be
> eminently qualified to stick his nose into your business, tell you how to
> live, and to pass judgement on you, all while being completely unable to
> detect his own glaring flaws. IOW, your average troll in fundamentalist
> religious clothing.
>
> AJM
> '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Now you've done it, I can't add anything to better your response.

--
Dad
04 C5 CE Z51

Battery Charging tech27 BMW 65 December 1st 04 02:08 AM
2000 BMW Z3: Discharged Battery, Hydro Meter Black, Jumped Car, yet still black? MathMan BMW 3 November 22nd 04 06:40 AM
Alfa Romeo 156 alarm won't turn off problem Alfie Norks Alfa Romeo 14 October 23rd 04 04:33 AM
540I key fob battery replacement Barbara McMahon BMW 1 September 27th 04 05:18 PM
166 Flat battery david_dance Alfa Romeo 2 May 6th 04 05:31 PM