How do you get a class C license?

Old September 20th 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Terry

Default How do you get a class C license?

My niece wants to work with special needs children.
One of the requirements is that she have a class c drivers license.
I went to the Georgia DDS and it shows what vehicles you will be
allowed to drive, but it doesn't list the process on how to obtain
one.

http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata...41951492&ty=dl

Old September 20th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
DYM

Terry > wrote in news:1190326712.105138.144640@
57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:

> My niece wants to work with special needs children.
> One of the requirements is that she have a class c drivers license.
> I went to the Georgia DDS and it shows what vehicles you will be
> allowed to drive, but it doesn't list the process on how to obtain
> one.
>
> http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata...41951492&ty=dl

That would be your regular every day driver's lic. That is if the vehicle
is 26,000 lbs or less, and carries 14 or less passenger (including the
driver), and it isn't a school bus. Most of the drivers of the special
needs buses I come into contact with are class c drivers. Driving buses
built on a Ford E450 or E550 chassis. The buses are big, 18,000 lbs, but
still under the weight limit. Since most of the capacity is taken up by
wheel chairs, they only carry about 10 passengers, 6 wheel chairs and 4
seated passengers, plus the driver.

When the capacity of the bus goes over 15, then she will get a class c
lic with a Passenger endorsement. When the bus goes over 26,000 lbs, then
a class b licence is needed, probably with a passenger endorsement.

Does that help any?

Doug

Old September 21st 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Terry

On Sep 20, 6:49 pm, DYM > wrote:
> Terry > wrote in news:1190326712.105138.144640@
> 57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:
>
> > My niece wants to work with special needs children.
> > One of the requirements is that she have a class c drivers license.
> > I went to the Georgia DDS and it shows what vehicles you will be
> > allowed to drive, but it doesn't list the process on how to obtain
> > one.

> >http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata...41951492&ty=dl

> That would be your regular every day driver's lic. That is if the vehicle
> is 26,000 lbs or less, and carries 14 or less passenger (including the
> driver), and it isn't a school bus. Most of the drivers of the special
> needs buses I come into contact with are class c drivers. Driving buses
> built on a Ford E450 or E550 chassis. The buses are big, 18,000 lbs, but
> still under the weight limit. Since most of the capacity is taken up by
> wheel chairs, they only carry about 10 passengers, 6 wheel chairs and 4
> seated passengers, plus the driver.
>
> When the capacity of the bus goes over 15, then she will get a class c
> lic with a Passenger endorsement. When the bus goes over 26,000 lbs, then
> a class b licence is needed, probably with a passenger endorsement.
>
> Does that help any?
>
> Doug

It helps me.
Thanks

It doesn't help her though. She says she has a class D license. She
says the restriction for her is that she is under 21. I guess it may
have something to do with drinking ID.

The job application says...

Minimum Skills Position requires reading and writing English and
having a valid Class C driver's license.
No Experience required
Must Be At Least 18 Years Old
Must Have Valid Class C Drivers Licence

I forgot to mention that she is an Alabama driver and the jobs she is
applying for are in Georgia.

I wonder she would have to get a Georgia license to get these jobs?

I guess she can go ahead and apply and if they contact her she can
find out.

Thanks for you time

Old September 21st 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer @ BQK

Terry:

> It doesn't help her though. She says she has a class D license. She
> says the restriction for her is that she is under 21. I guess it may
> have something to do with drinking ID.

>From the GA DDS site:

"Class D

Provisional license for Class C vehicles. May not operate between
12:00 midnight and 6:00 a.m. During six-month period immediately
following issuance of such license any Class D license holder shall
not drive when any passenger in the vehicle is not a member of
driver's immediate family. For the duration of the Class D, license
holders shall not drive when more than three passengers in the vehicle
are less than 21 years of age. (Members of the driver's immediate
family do not count)."

I am assuming that she has had a DL for 6 months or longer, however, I
don't know if the midnight to 0600 restriction would affect her in her
job, but that last statement, "For the duration of the Class D..."
could have serious implications and is probablly why they specify
Class C which doesn't have the restrictions. BTW, the site doesn't say
anything about the Class D and drinking age. I wasn't able to find
anything on whether she can apply for a Class C license while under
age 21, though.

> The job application says...
>
> Minimum Skills Position requires reading and writing English and
> having a valid Class C driver's license.
> No Experience required
> Must Be At Least 18 Years Old
> Must Have Valid Class C Drivers Licence

She will probably need to contact the employer on this one.

> I forgot to mention that she is an Alabama driver and the jobs she is
> applying for are in Georgia.
>
> I wonder she would have to get a Georgia license to get these jobs?

Again, check with the employer. They might accept the AL license,
especially if they are located near the state line. However, to get a
GA license, she will need to be a GA resident.

> I guess she can go ahead and apply and if they contact her she can
> find out.

Or she can ask when she goes in to apply for the job.

Good luck to her.

Old September 21st 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ulf

necromancer @ BQK wrote:
> Terry:
>
>> It doesn't help her though. She says she has a class D license. She
>> says the restriction for her is that she is under 21. I guess it may
>> have something to do with drinking ID.

>>From the GA DDS site:

> "Class D
>
> Provisional license for Class C vehicles. May not operate between
> 12:00 midnight and 6:00 a.m. During six-month period immediately
> following issuance of such license any Class D license holder shall
> not drive when any passenger in the vehicle is not a member of
> driver's immediate family. For the duration of the Class D, license
> holders shall not drive when more than three passengers in the vehicle
> are less than 21 years of age. (Members of the driver's immediate
> family do not count)."
>
> I am assuming that she has had a DL for 6 months or longer, however, I
> don't know if the midnight to 0600 restriction would affect her in her
> job, but that last statement, "For the duration of the Class D..."
> could have serious implications and is probablly why they specify
> Class C which doesn't have the restrictions. BTW, the site doesn't say
> anything about the Class D and drinking age. I wasn't able to find
> anything on whether she can apply for a Class C license while under
> age 21, though.

If she's had it for more than 6 months she's not allowed to carry more
than three passengers, so she obviously needs a C license.

>> The job application says...
>>
>> Minimum Skills Position requires reading and writing English and
>> having a valid Class C driver's license.
>> No Experience required
>> Must Be At Least 18 Years Old
>> Must Have Valid Class C Drivers Licence

> She will probably need to contact the employer on this one.
>
>> I forgot to mention that she is an Alabama driver and the jobs she is
>> applying for are in Georgia.
>>
>> I wonder she would have to get a Georgia license to get these jobs?

> Again, check with the employer. They might accept the AL license,
> especially if they are located near the state line. However, to get a
> GA license, she will need to be a GA resident.
>
>> I guess she can go ahead and apply and if they contact her she can
>> find out.

> Or she can ask when she goes in to apply for the job.
>
> Good luck to her.

Ulf

Can an European without driver's license make the drivers license during a vacation in the USA? [email protected] Driving 4 January 11th 07 04:56 AM
BMW3 or MC C class 2ib BMW 16 February 18th 06 07:00 PM
AWA [OFFER] 99-05 Super Duty Ford Truck Class IV and Class V Trailer Hitches [email protected] General 0 February 15th 06 09:55 PM
GTR: Why is my class not nGT or GT artie beamer Simulators 2 March 18th 05 07:13 AM
MB Fortwo and A Class aniram General 4 February 16th 04 05:54 PM