Sensors over weigh station

Old May 21st 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Terry

Default Sensors over weigh station

I 20 here in Atlanta has a weigh station. I noticed some kind of
sensors over the road before you get to the off ramp and another set
past the ramp.

Anyone know what the sensors do?

Old May 21st 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
John Mayson

Old May 21st 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Terry > wrote in
oups.com:

> I 20 here in Atlanta has a weigh station. I noticed some kind of
> sensors over the road before you get to the off ramp and another set
> past the ramp.
>
> Anyone know what the sensors do?

Maybe they count the number of axles the vehicle has.
More than 2 axles must be weighed,IIRC.
Maybe they alert the police if a truck tries to pass the weigh station.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old May 21st 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
John David Galt

Terry wrote:
> I 20 here in Atlanta has a weigh station. I noticed some kind of
> sensors over the road before you get to the off ramp and another set
> past the ramp.
>
> Anyone know what the sensors do?

They are part of a system called PrePass, which uses a transponder in
the truck cab similar to a toll transponder but with red and green LEDs.
If the trucker gets a green light he can go on past, red he must stop.

Some installations also come equipped with a camera and/or weight
detecting equipment at the point of the first sensor. The guy in the
booth can use these to decide whom to stop. Of course if the truck is
speeding or has a light out or something, they make him stop.

The police "rules of engagement" vs. truck drivers are very different
from those against car drivers. If a cop thinks something is "hinky"
or just feels bored, he can pull a truck in for as thorough an
inspection as he likes. And there are so many rules that if the cop
wants to find something wrong, he can do it.
Old May 21st 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Terry

On May 21, 9:51 am, Scott en Aztlán > wrote:
> John David Galt > said in
> rec.autos.driving:
>
> >The police "rules of engagement" vs. truck drivers are very different
> >from those against car drivers. If a cop thinks something is "hinky"
> >or just feels bored, he can pull a truck in for as thorough an
> >inspection as he likes.

> "Hinky?" What is "hinky?" That word has no meaning!!!
>
> - Deputy Marshall Samuel Girard
> --
> MFFYCam Videos Galohttp://www.geocities.com/mffycam/

I went to your cam link. Your car is yellow.

Are you sure you are not a cab driver that wants to be a cop?

Using the context of the above sentence, it doesn't take a rocket
surgeon to define "hinky" whether it is a word or not.

Old May 21st 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
John Mayson

On May 21, 8:51 am, Scott en Aztlán > wrote:
> John David Galt > said in
> rec.autos.driving:
>
> >The police "rules of engagement" vs. truck drivers are very different
> >from those against car drivers. If a cop thinks something is "hinky"
> >or just feels bored, he can pull a truck in for as thorough an
> >inspection as he likes.

> "Hinky?" What is "hinky?" That word has no meaning!!!

I think he meant "wonky".

John

Old May 23rd 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Murderous Speeding Drunken Driver

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>Terry > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
>>> "Hinky?" What is "hinky?" That word has no meaning!!!
>>>
>>> - Deputy Marshall Samuel Girard

>>I went to your cam link. Your car is yellow.

>Safety Yellow, that's absolutely correct.
>
>>Are you sure you are not a cab driver that wants to be a cop?

>Um, yeah, I'm quite positive.
>
>>Using the context of the above sentence, it doesn't take a rocket
>>surgeon to define "hinky" whether it is a word or not.

>Using the context of the movie "The Fugitive," it doesn't take a
>scientist to see that the joke flew right over your head like a
>rocket.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I had noticed a number of
uses of the word on the various CSI shows on CBS; I forgot that the
term was used in "The Fugitive."

--

We're all here
because we're not all there.
Old May 23rd 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
John David Galt

>> The police "rules of engagement" vs. truck drivers are very different
>> from those against car drivers. If a cop thinks something is "hinky"
>> or just feels bored, he can pull a truck in for as thorough an
>> inspection as he likes.

> "Hinky?" What is "hinky?" That word has no meaning!!!

Maybe this will help:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...ile_hinky.html