Chrysler engines

Old July 20th 05, 06:03 PM

Default Chrysler engines

In order not to prolong the warranty thread, I made a broad statement the
other day that
Chrysler had always made good dependable engines, to my knowledge. I can't
remember
one that had problems with cracked blocks, premature wear, etc.

The old slant six was good for a couple hundred thou, frequently. And the
V8 have been
legendary for their toughness.

Of the Big Three American manufacturers, GM has possibly put out some of the
worst (and best)
engines, with Ford not far behind.

Have I missed some Chrysler clunkers, or given the other two too little
credit?

Old July 21st 05, 03:18 PM
Don Stauffer

> In order not to prolong the warranty thread, I made a broad statement the
> other day that
> Chrysler had always made good dependable engines, to my knowledge. I can't
> remember
> one that had problems with cracked blocks, premature wear, etc.
>
> The old slant six was good for a couple hundred thou, frequently. And the
> V8 have been
> legendary for their toughness.
>
> Of the Big Three American manufacturers, GM has possibly put out some of the
> worst (and best)
> engines, with Ford not far behind.
>
> Have I missed some Chrysler clunkers, or given the other two too little
> credit?

I was not able to get that much milage from my old slant six, though it
was still a great, reliable engine. I had one rocker arm fail in one,
had to replace distrib. cap on the same one also.

Did have carb problems in a couple of others. Mopar made carb float out
of plastic- a plastic that would eventually absorb too much gasoline and
no longer float :-)

I have a Neon now. A great little R/T. Did have to have head gasket
replaced, though under warranty. Thing that gripes me about it,
however, is that apparently they new the gasket was defective design,
and had revision already when car was built, but didn't want to just
throw out their stock of the old ones. I can't believe what they saved
on using old gaskets was cheaper than all the warranty work they had to do.

We are on our third minivan. Had clutch problems on first, due to
defective design again, but other than that they have been super
reliable. First two were the four cyl. New one is V6- hope it is as
good as the fours.
Old July 21st 05, 08:40 PM

"Don Stauffer" > wrote in message

> We are on our third minivan. Had clutch problems on first, due to
> defective design again, but other than that they have been super
> reliable. First two were the four cyl. New one is V6- hope it is as
> good as the fours.

Good on ya...I assume the first one had a manual tranny?
There are getting to be fewer and fewer vehicles available with manuals.

Old July 22nd 05, 05:11 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Don Stauffer wrote:

> Our new one has an auto :-( We'd have preferred the manual, but we knew
> the last van we had, a '94 model, was one of the very last ones with
> manual. None in 95 and beyond.

Actually, 1995 was the last year in which handshift minivans were
available in North America from Chrysler Corp, and then only with the
2.5-litre 4-cylinder engine.

> I don't think there are ANY minivans now with manual.

There are lots of them...outside North America. Everywhere else in the
world, you can have your Chrysler Voyager with a very nice turbodiesel
engine and a 5-speed.
Old July 22nd 05, 08:19 PM
C. E. White

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message >> Actually, 1995 was
the last year in which handshift minivans were

> There are lots of them...outside North America. Everywhere else in the
> world, you can have your Chrysler Voyager with a very nice turbodiesel
> engine and a 5-speed.

Whose turbo-diesel are they using?

Ed