Instrument Panel

Old March 2nd 05, 07:32 PM
twaldron

Loose connector behind the dash. It is a common prob. and there is a TSB
out on it.

Rick Farley wrote:

> I live in the Sierras and over the past winter I have had a problem with my
> instrument panel losing power when I have driven in the cold and snow and
> have had my heater on, not knowing if the heater is part of the problem. I
> have a 99 TJ Sahara and the first indication I get is that my airbag light
> comes on then I lose speedometer and tachometer, then finally the rest of
> the gauges. If I turn the vehicle off and restart it about 5 - 10 minutes
> later everything is fine.
>
> Any thoughts?

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)

Old March 2nd 05, 08:06 PM
Rick Farley

What is TSB?

. com...

Old March 2nd 05, 08:08 PM
Chuck Bremer

TSB= technical service bulletin. it's basically a procedure to fix a known
common problem, which is distributed to dealerships and mechanics who
subscribe to services such as AllData.

Old March 2nd 05, 08:08 PM
Mike Romain

Technical service bulletin. Basically they are a list of screw ups and
how to fix them so maybe they don't screw up right away again.

These are screw ups not safety related so they don't have to issue a
recall for them or do them free.

In your case they got the wrong sized plug on the wiring harness so the
dash pins fit it really loose. Very likely a metric to standard size
screw up in my mind. There is a replacement plug available or you can
pull your plug and take a small pair of pliers and give each pin a
little twist, This seems to make them fit tight enough for the short
term, time will tell for the long term.

There are also some really shaky grounds on the back of the dash on some
TJ's too.

This place has the TSB's and the recalls:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 2nd 05, 08:37 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.billhughes.com/mirror/guages.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old March 2nd 05, 10:41 PM
IsellJeeps

follow Bills link it is a 10 minute fix!!!

Old March 3rd 05, 12:55 AM
Rick Farley

Thanks for the info.

om...