Knock at 62,000 miles on 01 GT

Old January 26th 05, 04:09 AM
john.moyer

Default Knock at 62,000 miles on 01 GT

Has anyone notice engine knock at higher revs and strain on there 4.6L
engine at about 62,000 miles? Does this just mean that I need to change my
spark plugs? (Still original plugs)

Old January 26th 05, 04:51 AM
Max C. Webster III

"john.moyer" > done said:

> Has anyone notice engine knock at higher revs and strain on there 4.6L
> engine at about 62,000 miles? Does this just mean that I need to change my
> spark plugs? (Still original plugs)

No knocking here, and my '01 GT has 72K with original plugs.

- Max -
=======
In the future, everyone will be hyperlinked for fifteen minutes.
http://hometown.aol.com/maxx2112/

Just Say No to 6:5 Blackjack!
http://www.cafepress.com/justsaynoto6to5/

Old January 26th 05, 04:58 AM
CCK

No clue. My 01GT only has 35K on it!

Old January 26th 05, 07:39 AM
Jim Warman

Sounds like you need at least three professional opinions.... That there is
a "knock" should be worrisome.... however, different problems add different
personalities to engine noises and these cannot be accurately put into
print. Double raps, single raps, muffled raps, sharp raps... on
accelleration, decelleration, float.... top end, bottom end, front back,
left side, right side.... Sorry, John, its just not that simple...

Old January 26th 05, 03:39 PM
Rein

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 03:09:25 GMT, "john.moyer"
> wrote:

>Has anyone notice engine knock at higher revs and strain on there 4.6L
>engine at about 62,000 miles? Does this just mean that I need to change my
>spark plugs? (Still original plugs)

unlikely. Many things could cause this. Start simple; replace
fuelfilter, clean the intake sensors.
Old January 27th 05, 01:54 AM
john.moyer

If I drive normally and wind out the gears under normal acceleration I don't
get the knock. It's when I get the revs up over 4000 and really get on it.
This is also when the engine has had time to warm up. I used to get knock
when the engine was cold, but I had taken it to the dealer for a bad air
bypass valve at about $30,000, and the dealer said that that they re-flashed
an update to the ECM and I never notice the cold engine knock after that.
If anyone gets a chance and has similar miles and has never changed their
plugs, do me a favor. When you are on a highway and going about 60,
downshift to 3rd and floor it. Any knock???

Thank you for the replies,
John

Old January 27th 05, 06:58 AM
Cory Dunkle

"john.moyer" > wrote in message
> Has anyone notice engine knock at higher revs and strain on there 4.6L
> engine at about 62,000 miles? Does this just mean that I need to change

my
> spark plugs? (Still original plugs)

Is the knock sound like a timing/low octane fuel knock? Do those cars still
have distributors? If so check your timing. If not, try running a tank of 93
or 94 octane thorugh it (or whatever your highest octane pump gas is) and
see if it makes a difference. These days auto makers often run timing right
on the edge of knocking through the use of knock sensors. Could be something
it out of whack, maybe the knock sensor isn't working right or something has
changed messing up the computer's caculations. Running higher octane fuel
could compensate enough to stop the knocking. Of course if the knock isn't a
timing or fuel octane type of knock you can disregard all this.

Old January 28th 05, 06:37 AM
Rein

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:58:34 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" >
wrote:

>"john.moyer" > wrote in message
>> Has anyone notice engine knock at higher revs and strain on there 4.6L
>> engine at about 62,000 miles? Does this just mean that I need to change

>my
>> spark plugs? (Still original plugs)

>Is the knock sound like a timing/low octane fuel knock? Do those cars still
>have distributors? If so check your timing. If not, try running a tank of 93

Not since the 96gt

>or 94 octane thorugh it (or whatever your highest octane pump gas is) and

why ? Higher octane doesn't clean an engine. It should run fine on 87.

>see if it makes a difference. These days auto makers often run timing right
>on the edge of knocking through the use of knock sensors. Could be something

Mustang GT doesn't have knock sensors.

>it out of whack, maybe the knock sensor isn't working right or something has
>changed messing up the computer's caculations. Running higher octane fuel
>could compensate enough to stop the knocking. Of course if the knock isn't a

It's just hiding (if even) a problem. Don't do it.

Old January 29th 05, 06:04 AM
Cory Dunkle

"Rein" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:58:34 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" >
> wrote:
>
> >"john.moyer" > wrote in message
> >> Has anyone notice engine knock at higher revs and strain on there 4.6L
> >> engine at about 62,000 miles? Does this just mean that I need to

change
> >my
> >> spark plugs? (Still original plugs)

> >Is the knock sound like a timing/low octane fuel knock? Do those cars

still
> >have distributors? If so check your timing. If not, try running a tank of

93

> Not since the 96gt
>
> >or 94 octane thorugh it (or whatever your highest octane pump gas is) and

> why ? Higher octane doesn't clean an engine. It should run fine on 87.

I never said anything about cleaning an engine. I would assume at only
62,000 miles it's still pretty clean. Regardless, if you're gonna clean an
engine the only way to do it properly (and the onyl way worth doing) is to
take it apart. It sounds to me like there is a good chance the timing may be
too far advanced. Whatever the reason may be, running the highest octane
fuel available will help to rule that out. If it still makes the same noise
with no improvement on 94 octane, then it's most likely not a timing related
issue.

> >see if it makes a difference. These days auto makers often run timing

right
> >on the edge of knocking through the use of knock sensors. Could be

something

> Mustang GT doesn't have knock sensors.

I don't like computers in cars, and I don't know a whole lot about
particular models on new cars. They just plain don't interest me.

> >it out of whack, maybe the knock sensor isn't working right or something

has
> >changed messing up the computer's caculations. Running higher octane fuel
> >could compensate enough to stop the knocking. Of course if the knock

isn't a

> It's just hiding (if even) a problem. Don't do it.

I never said to continue to run higher octane fuel. By running a higher
octane fuel it can be determined if the noise is pinging. If it is, the
problem (most likely timing, but also possibly a lean mixture, or a handful
of other things) then you know that much mroe about it and it will point you
in the right direction for a solution. If pinging is not the problem,
running 94 octane (or wahtever the highest pump gas is in the OPs location)
is a cheap way to rule out pinging as the problem.

So buddy, I don't know what you've got shoved up your ass, but it seems that
most Mustang groups with any of the late model stuff have a sizeable amount
of know-it-alls like you who are on a hair-trigger to bash anyone who comes
along. That's why I normally keep to FordMuscle... Great friendly
environment with a _LOT_ of knowledgeable people, who also happen to respect
eachother. I suppose it would be ludicrous to expect the same level of
respect on Usenet...