How reliable Wal-mart battery compare to Sears auto?.

Old March 12th 05, 04:21 AM

Default How reliable Wal-mart battery compare to Sears auto?.

Wal-mart auto centre, charge $40, 2-year warranty
Sears, charge $60-70, 5-year warranty, but no time, got replaced from
wal-mart, how good is this?. Does anybody have any idea?.

Old March 12th 05, 04:27 AM
Mike Romain

Ya get what ya pay for normally....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 12th 05, 08:02 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 06:28:16 +0000 (UTC), Edward Strauss

>> Wal-mart auto centre, charge $40, 2-year warranty
>> Sears, charge $60-70, 5-year warranty, but no time, got replaced from
>> wal-mart, how good is this?. Does anybody have any idea?.

>Nothing wrong with the $39.95 one. Not a whole lot of differences in
>these chain store batteries. Most of them made by the same suppliers.
>If you have a 24 hour Wal-mart close to you look at it this way. You
>will be able to get any warranty issue taken care of any time of day
>or night...

I don't know who makes batteries for K-Mart, but that's where I buy my
replacements, and IMO they're every bit as good as OEM, although they
are =not= inexpensive.

My next car battery is going to come from K-Mart, whenever the time
comes.

Lg

Old March 12th 05, 10:01 AM
Backbone

there is only several lead acid battery manufacturers.
here's a Brand list and the dealers that use them
http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/batbrand.htm

--
Remove *flaps* to reply
ups.com...

Old March 12th 05, 06:08 PM
B. Peg

> "JP White" wrote:
> IMHO all you are paying for is the warranty. The quality of most batteries
> is not too great and I see it as a gamble as to if the battery is capable
> of giving long service or not. Most warranties are pro rated after the
> first year anyhow.
>
> Rather than bother with 'gold' or big warranties, I look at cranking amps,
> and prefer to spend the money there instead.

Good point. Around here in central valley of CA, my car's batteries only
last 2 years and it doesn't seem to hinge on the warranty label. I replaced
three Wal-Mart batteries (Super Cranks) in one year on a motorcycle. They
were pro-rated at 90 days so it almost felt like I was buying a new one ever
time it went south. The Sear's Die-Hard made it 1 1/2 - 2 years before they
gave up from heat.

I've had far better longevity out of Optima dry-cell batteries (4-5 years)
although they cost around twice as much.

B~

Old March 13th 05, 06:02 AM
dociscool

Same luck here with Diehard motorcycle batteries. Wal-Mart batteries
wouldn't last through the winter motorcycle storage season. Now I'm on my
third year with the same Diehard motorcycle battery still in excellent
shape... and the Diehard brand in this battery size is only about $10 more
than Wal-Mart.

Old March 13th 05, 02:49 PM
HLS

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Wal-mart auto centre, charge $40, 2-year warranty
> Sears, charge $60-70, 5-year warranty, but no time, got replaced from
> wal-mart, how good is this?. Does anybody have any idea?.

What does the guarantee really cover? Will Sears replace the battery at no
charge for the entire 5 years period, .....or, do you have to pay a fee
which increases greatly as the warranty period progresses?

The subject of battery quality has been discussed a number of times on this
group, and the general opinion is that battery quality, across the board, is
not
as high as it once was. There may be some exceptions, but as usual mostly
anecdotal accounts rather than hard data.

new alternator - battery light on, but still charging at 16v? [email protected] Technology 8 February 11th 05 11:38 PM
At what point is a vehicle battery charging or discharging? 12.6v ? [email protected] Technology 34 January 3rd 05 06:11 AM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 11:54 PM
Dead Battery current leak Jeremy Saturn 3 July 1st 04 07:54 PM
Replacing Corroded Battery Cables for SL1 2000 Chris Gutierrez Saturn 2 June 28th 04 03:40 AM