Caravan transmission question

Old February 1st 05, 04:44 PM
Rob

Default Caravan transmission question

Hi,

I am looking to buy a Dodge Caravan about 97-99. I heard that the
transmission is very expensive part and don't want to be surprised after
purchasing. So my question is what is the average life time for an elect
trans on dodge caravan? Is there any way to test trans by a mechanic to make
sure there is no problem with it?

I actually have the same question about engine and any advice gratefully
appreciated.

Rob

Old February 1st 05, 05:51 PM
Brigitte

"Rob" > wrote in message ...
> Hi,
>

> I am looking to buy a Dodge Caravan about 97-99. I heard that the
> transmission is very expensive part and don't want to be surprised after
> purchasing. So my question is what is the average life time for an elect
> trans on dodge caravan? Is there any way to test trans by a mechanic to

make
> sure there is no problem with it?
>

> I actually have the same question about engine and any advice gratefully
> appreciated.
>

> Rob

I have a '95 GC and a 99 T&C and neither of these vehicles has ever had a
transmission problem.

My only advice would be to make sure that maintenance has been done on any
vehicle that you decide to purchase.

Brigitte

Old February 1st 05, 11:30 PM
Matt Whiting

Rob wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am looking to buy a Dodge Caravan about 97-99. I heard that the
> transmission is very expensive part and don't want to be surprised after
> purchasing. So my question is what is the average life time for an elect
> trans on dodge caravan? Is there any way to test trans by a mechanic to make
> sure there is no problem with it?

Well, I have a 96, but it is the same design as the 97-99s. My Grand
Voyager has 161,500 miles on the original transmission with nothing
beyond oil and filter changes every 30,000 miles or thereabouts.

> I actually have the same question about engine and any advice gratefully
> appreciated.

My 3.3 is almost entirely original. The internals are original, but it
has had the water pump, idler pulley and starter replaced. Otherwise,
just normal maintenance items (plugs, wires, filters, etc.).

Matt
Old February 2nd 05, 04:22 AM

We have right at 160,000 mi. on our 96 Grand Voyager w/3.3. No trans
problems to date. Fluid and filter change at 100K and 150K. The engine
has needed a water pump. Just changed the timing chain, and it was
ready. Have replaced the starter and alternator as preventive measures.
Other than that, just normal plugs/wires/belts/hoses/filters stuff. It
did crash a fuel pump at about 130K.

Steve

Old February 2nd 05, 01:17 PM
jdoe

Try to make sure you can get a service history on the vehicle. Also
hopefully it's only had mopar +3 or +4 fluid and oem filters otherwise it
would be something to be wary of. Yes the technician can run a diagnostic on
the trans. Not a guarantee but it is good to know the cvi's etc. Finally buy
only a 3.3 or 3.8 stay away from a 3.0 or 4 banger. Not worth the
aggravation.
Larry

Old February 2nd 05, 09:07 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Frank Boettcher wrote:

> I had a 93 T & C that went through four transmissions in 125,000 miles.

The first one almost certainly had a minor problem (input or output speed
sensor, most likely), but it was swapped for a "remanufactured" piece of
trash, which quickly failed and was swapped for another "remanufactured"
piece of trash, which quickly failed and was swapped for another
"remanufactured" piece of trash. That's normally what causes this kind of
pattern.
Old February 2nd 05, 09:57 PM
Zeppo

Rob,
I've had 5 transmissions in my '97, all installed by the same shop over a 2
year period. They kept installing a rebuilt trans and filling it with the
wrong fluid. The replacements would last anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months.
Finally a sit-down with the manager, owner and my lawyer resulted in a
replacement that seems OK.

They have a horrible reputation but I'm willing to bet 99% is fluid related
problems.

HTH,
Jon

Old February 2nd 05, 11:43 PM
Matt Whiting

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Frank Boettcher wrote:
>

>>I had a 93 T & C that went through four transmissions in 125,000 miles.

> The first one almost certainly had a minor problem (input or output speed
> sensor, most likely), but it was swapped for a "remanufactured" piece of
> trash, which quickly failed and was swapped for another "remanufactured"
> piece of trash, which quickly failed and was swapped for another
> "remanufactured" piece of trash. That's normally what causes this kind of
> pattern.

And the sad part is he went back to the same bad repair shop four times
in a row...

Matt
Old February 2nd 05, 11:46 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Zeppo wrote:

> I've had 5 transmissions in my '97, all installed by the same shop over a 2
> year period. They kept installing a rebuilt trans and filling it with the
> wrong fluid.

That's mistakes number two and three.

Mistake number one was your choice of shop.

Old February 3rd 05, 11:24 AM
Frank Boettcher

I had a 93 T & C that went through four transmissions in 125,000
miles. I have a 99 T & C that is approaching 115,000 miles with no
problems. Maybe they engineering changed all those problems out of
that tranny.