Observations for the day

Old July 4th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Default Observations for the day

Took advantage of a day off to get out in the car and enjoy a warm
summer's evening while burning a few 2.689USD gallons of Saudi Juice.

My observations:

1: I guess that our beloved president failed to suck off the crown
prince and toss the king's salad this week. The price of gas here is up
about 0.15USD over last week.

2: Proof that cops have quotas? I'm heading down 17 south (in the proper
right lane) toward the Jekyll Causeway and approaching the Lanier
Bridge. Approaching on my left and preparing to pass is a 5th wheel
being towed by a as we will see woefully underpowered Toyota (I believe)
pickup. As soon as we reach the bridge and begin the climb, the pickup-
trailer combo starts slowing dramatically. Two cars behind the newly
mited sloth is a Glynn COunty Police Car. You think that he would pull
Mr. Sloth Wrong Vehicle For The Occasion/Mr. Sloth Incompetent Driver
for LLB or obstructing traffic? Of course not. Glynn County's finest
just slipped over to the right and passed the rolling (and slowing) road
hazard. I guess this copper had already met quota and just wanted to get
to doughnut time.

3: Did someone take 1/2 the population of Ohio and transplant it to
Jekyll Island, GA? Never seen so many OH tags in one place in my life.

4: Speaking of OH drivers, the ones I observed today still have that
annoying affinity for the left lane. Like the one who turned out from
the shopping center and started heading south toward my northbound tail
in the left lane. BTW it was a two lane road.

5: Thinking of the Island, this must be the only place where a drive at
35MPH is enjoyable. **** off, LBMHB! Also noted that the State Patrol is
now using Dodge Chargers.

Thanks for reading my rant.

Old July 4th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
[email protected]

necromancer wrote:

> 2: Proof that cops have quotas? I'm heading down 17 south (in the proper
> right lane) toward the Jekyll Causeway and approaching the Lanier
> Bridge. Approaching on my left and preparing to pass is a 5th wheel
> being towed by a as we will see woefully underpowered Toyota (I believe)
> pickup. As soon as we reach the bridge and begin the climb, the pickup-
> trailer combo starts slowing dramatically.
> Thanks for reading my rant.

You're welcome.
The underpowered truck situation is common in hilly areas. I used to
see it a lot in Colorado. However (as you may guess) my view of the
situation is a bit different.
The truck gets all the speed he can approaching the hill/bridge, so as
to make it as far as he can before slowing a lot. Once he starts
slowing, the trick is to get to the right. Sometimes it doesn't work
because even though he is signaling his intention, the impatient ones
behind him keep passing on the right. So he can't. So more people get
angry, even as they keep him from moving right. Kinda funny to watch.
You see cars do that a LOT to 18-wheelers.

That may not have been the exact situation in your case though.

Sometimes you just can't tell by looking.
Once, at Independence Pass in Colorado, I had a vapor lock just about
exactly at the top of the pass, about 200 feet or so short of a parking
lot entrance. The car stopped, I couldn't push it, and the shoulder
was very very small. All I could do was pull over for two minutes, as
far as I could, and the the vapor lock go away. What to do? 4-ways
on, for whatever that might do (traffic is slow there). Might as well
look at my map for a minute while I wait. Well, not without some
justification, some folks decided that I parked an operating car there
just to read the map, and I got an earful of precise but improper
language. No much point in getting mad back, and no chance to explain.
Der ya go. Moral of the story: not all situations are as they seem.

Old July 4th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

> said in rec.autos.driving:
> You're welcome.
> The underpowered truck situation is common in hilly areas. I used to
> see it a lot in Colorado. However (as you may guess) my view of the
> situation is a bit different.
> The truck gets all the speed he can approaching the hill/bridge, so as
> to make it as far as he can before slowing a lot. Once he starts
> slowing, the trick is to get to the right. Sometimes it doesn't work
> because even though he is signaling his intention, the impatient ones
> behind him keep passing on the right. So he can't. So more people get
> angry, even as they keep him from moving right. Kinda funny to watch.
> You see cars do that a LOT to 18-wheelers.

The problem with this driver was that he continued to stay in the left
lane even after the copper and the other two had passed. He could have
moved over, but chose to obstruct traffic anyway.

> Sometimes you just can't tell by looking.
> Once, at Independence Pass in Colorado, I had a vapor lock just about
> exactly at the top of the pass, about 200 feet or so short of a parking
> lot entrance. The car stopped, I couldn't push it, and the shoulder
> was very very small. All I could do was pull over for two minutes, as
> far as I could, and the the vapor lock go away. What to do? 4-ways
> on, for whatever that might do (traffic is slow there). Might as well
> look at my map for a minute while I wait. Well, not without some
> justification, some folks decided that I parked an operating car there
> just to read the map, and I got an earful of precise but improper
> language. No much point in getting mad back, and no chance to explain.
> Der ya go. Moral of the story: not all situations are as they seem.

Yours was a different situation entirely. You had to pull over due to a
mechanical problem. IMO, the 5th wheel driver stayed in the left lane
out of sheer arrogance. Just my opinion, but a raised hood might have
better communicated "mechanical problem," to approaching drivers (you
did not indicate if you did this or not).

"No one goes to Hooters for wings."
--Chris Rock
Old July 4th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
John Gaquin

"necromancer" > wrote in message .

> My observations:

I've noted that just about every time you "hit the road", you encounter
multiple instances of aggravation and inconvenience.

Suggest, henceforth, you stay home. You'll ameliorate your own blood
pressure, and perhaps stop boring others.

Old July 4th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

> John Gaquin said in rec.autos.driving:
> I've noted that just about every time you "hit the road", you encounter
> multiple instances of aggravation and inconvenience.

No, just that I vent about what irritated me here. Or would you rather
that I take my aggravation out on someone on the road?

--
"Give me Liberty or give me Death!"
--Patrick Henry
Old July 5th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
John Gaquin

"necromancer" > wrote in message

> No, just that I vent about what irritated me here. Or would you rather
> that I take my aggravation out on someone on the road?

LOL!! Same choices proffered by a six-year-old -- "I'll cry and whine, or
I'll stamp my feet and kick the furniture"

Old July 5th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On 4 Jul 2006 16:55:41 -0700, "gpsman" > was
understood to have stated the following:

>necromancer wrote:
>> > John Gaquin said in rec.autos.driving:
>> > I've noted that just about every time you "hit the road", you encounter
>> > multiple instances of aggravation and inconvenience.

>> No, just that I vent about what irritated me here. Or would you rather
>> that I take my aggravation out on someone on the road?

>My heart goes out to you, it really does. I used to get my panties in
>a *big* wad during every little trip. It took me awhile to figger out
>that road engineers weren't daft for not using .80G to suggest
>cautionary corner speed recommendations.
>
>It took me a longer while to realize every time I got frustrated with
>other drivers that *my* frustration was *my* hotcake, and not theirs...
>and that that frustration was *my* choice, and that it was a choice.
>
>I could choose to not get frustrated if I wanted to. After all, how
>much control do I have over what Jackass Slim does with his vehicle?
>If I let what he does **** me off, I lose; immediately, at that moment.
> Period. Game over.
>
>If I remain in control of my emotions, I win. And that's a more
>pleasant experience.
>
>That's why I don't really give a **** if other drivers are in a hurry.
>That's not my problem. I'm not going to deliberately delay them, but
>I'm not going to operate my vehicle according to their wishes. That's
>not why I bought my car. I presume they are going to operate their
>vehicle according to their judgement... and aren't all that interested
>in hearing how I think they should do it.
>
>That seems fair to me.
> -----
>
>- gpsman

Good thing you could get your emotional situation in check.

1: Do you think everyone who gets ****ed off at other drivers can keep
their emotions in check?

2: Do you want to **** off other drivers to find out?

---

"Do we operate under a system of equal justice under law? Or is there one system for the average citizen and another for the high and mighty?" ~ Senator Ted Kennedy, 1973

--

El Pollo Loco (Laura Bush Murdered Her Boyfriend) demonstrates it's complete gullibility, stupidity, and state of delusion when it falls for an April Fool's joke, hook, line, and sinker:

Ragnar wrote:
> Gods, you're dumb. Its a rather obvious April Fool's joke. And you're
> the Fool.

This is no joke.
Old July 5th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
[email protected]

necromancer wrote:

> The problem with this driver was that he continued to stay in the left
> lane even after the copper and the other two had passed. He could have
> moved over, but chose to obstruct traffic anyway.

If he could have moved over and the lane was clear, then I probably
agree with you.

> > Sometimes you just can't tell by looking.
> > Once, at Independence Pass in Colorado, I had a vapor lock just about
> > exactly at the top of the pass, about 200 feet or so short of a parking
> > lot entrance. The car stopped, I couldn't push it, and the shoulder
> > was very very small. All I could do was pull over for two minutes, as
> > far as I could, and the the vapor lock go away. What to do? 4-ways
> > on, for whatever that might do (traffic is slow there). Might as well
> > look at my map for a minute while I wait. Well, not without some
> > justification, some folks decided that I parked an operating car there
> > just to read the map, and I got an earful of precise but improper
> > language. No much point in getting mad back, and no chance to explain.
> > Der ya go. Moral of the story: not all situations are as they seem.

> Yours was a different situation entirely. You had to pull over due to a
> mechanical problem. IMO, the 5th wheel driver stayed in the left lane
> out of sheer arrogance. Just my opinion, but a raised hood might have
> better communicated "mechanical problem," to approaching drivers (you
> did not indicate if you did this or not).

I wasn't going to be there long enough to raise a hood. It's just one
of those situations where he was making a supportable conclusion based
on what he saw, and had no way of knowing the one extra bit that
changed things. That's why I wasn't upset with him. Life's like that
sometimes. It's also why I've learned to slow down on some of the
conclusion I might otherwise draw about some of the things other people
do.

Old July 5th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

> said in rec.autos.driving:
> If he could have moved over and the lane was clear, then I probably
> agree with you.

He could have. He only got to within maybe 2 car lengths of my rear
bumper before the effects of the bridge (gravity, namely) took hold and
he started losing speed in a big way and the right lane behind me was as
clear as can be. Granted, the two and the copper bringing up the rear
could also use a lesson in KRETP....

oil observations jim beam Honda 0 June 17th 06 10:39 PM
various road trip observations... Nate Nagel Driving 9 May 15th 06 06:04 AM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
EA-NSR Initial Observations Larry Simulators 3 January 23rd 05 07:27 PM