1994 Jetta crazy MIL

Old March 12th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default 1994 Jetta crazy MIL

I've read that other people on this group have had similar problems,
but they seem to get no response. My MIL has been going on and off for
like 7 months. It goes on and off like crazy, usually when I'm
maintaining speed, like in town. First my catalytic converter was
replaced. It went away. For about a week. Then it came back the same.
Then I had the timing belt (which was worn a lot) replaced. It went
away for 2 months. I thought I was in the clear. Now it's back. I don't
know if this helps, but it almost seemed to coincide with the weather
warming up.

Old March 12th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

In article .com>,
Jared > wrote:
> I've read that other people on this group have had similar problems,
>but they seem to get no response. My MIL has been going on and off for
>like 7 months. It goes on and off like crazy, usually when I'm
>maintaining speed, like in town. First my catalytic converter was
>replaced. It went away. For about a week. Then it came back the same.
>Then I had the timing belt (which was worn a lot) replaced. It went
>away for 2 months. I thought I was in the clear. Now it's back. I don't
>know if this helps, but it almost seemed to coincide with the weather
>warming up.

I also own a 1994 Jetta. Mine is a 2.0L 5 speed. I don't know what you
have there. Anyway, can you find out what the code is with the OBD-I
connector and a OBD reader? You might have a bad data wire with an
intermittant connection on the O2 sensor plug right above the passenger
side motor mount. I had to solder mine back on after I realized that
the new O2 sensor I installed was doing the same thing. It's the connector
that the O2 sensor connection into above the mount.
--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old March 12th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

the best thing to do with a MIL light coming on is to get the error code
with a code reader. otherwise you will just be foolishly guessing and
throwing money at the car blindly.

Old March 13th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

What's the fault code?????

oups.com...

Old March 13th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I don't actually know the code, but I know my mechanic had to wire it
up to blink out the codes manually because he tried like 9 readers and
none of them would pull the code. But the exhaust was replaced because
my catalytic converter was toast (you could hear the crap inside
rattling) and the belt was the original after 125,000 miles. The
mechanic isn't jerking me around as far as I know, but I am planning on
returning to him soon (he promised to give a reduced charge if the
light came back) I'll suggest checking the O2 sensor/wires and the PCV
valve which I read somewhere else on this group might cause this.