2002 Passat V6 Overheating?

Old March 12th 05, 11:52 PM
dogwud

Default 2002 Passat V6 Overheating?

So the engine heats up to 200f+, the STOP warning comes on the dashboard,
it says pull over and fill the coolant. So I check: the coolant if full,
the fans are working, I wait 20 minutes and take off. Ten minutes later
it happens again. What is up?

Old March 13th 05, 01:09 AM
Joseph Meehan

"dogwud" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> So the engine heats up to 200f+, the STOP warning comes on the dashboard,
> it says pull over and fill the coolant. So I check: the coolant if full,
> the fans are working, I wait 20 minutes and take off. Ten minutes later
> it happens again. What is up?

How are you checking the coolant level? If you are looking at the
overflow tank, that does not do it. You need to check inside the radiator.
Don't do this when the car is hot!!!

Is the fan running on the radiator when you stop if you don't turn off
the engine? If not, that may be your problem.

Does it happen all the time or only on occasion? How often, what
conditions? How many miles? Have you had the coolant changed, I believe it
is past due, check your owner's manual for specifics.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old March 13th 05, 04:05 AM
Woodchuck

Water pump! How many miles on the car?

lkaboutautos.com...

Old March 13th 05, 05:30 AM
dogwud

68,000 miles. Water pump sounds possible.

Old March 13th 05, 05:33 AM
dogwud

68,000 miles on the car.
How do I check the radiator. The engine is the V6 30V and it is all
covered with shields.
The fan runs when the engine is on, but stops when the engine/ignition is
off.
It happened for the first time today after about 20 miles, rural driving,
no highway.

Old March 13th 05, 12:43 PM
Joseph Meehan

dogwud wrote:
> 68,000 miles on the car.

That opens up the possibility of a water pump problem.

> How do I check the radiator. The engine is the V6 30V and it is all
> covered with shields.

Sorry, since I don't have a Passat I could only guess.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old March 13th 05, 01:08 PM
Woodchuck

If you do the water pump spend the extra $$$$ and replace the timing belt
too.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old March 14th 05, 12:02 AM
Matt B.

"Joseph Meehan" > wrote in message
> dogwud wrote:
>> 68,000 miles on the car.

> That opens up the possibility of a water pump problem.
>
>> How do I check the radiator. The engine is the V6 30V and it is all
>> covered with shields.

> Sorry, since I don't have a Passat I could only guess.

I'm not sure you can. I've yet to see a VAG car that had access other than
the overflow tank.

Might not be a DIY problem or fix. Could be water pump or thermostat is
stuck (although a stuck thermostat usually would cause the engine to
overheat but prevent water from getting to the radiator so the radiator
usually isn't hot enough to trigger the fans and you're saying the fans are
running so I'm kinda doubting the thermostat).

If it's under warranty just let VW deal with it.

Old March 14th 05, 12:03 AM
Matt B.

"Woodchuck" > wrote in message
.. .
> If you do the water pump spend the extra $$$$ and replace the timing belt
> too.

are Passat V6s a belt or a chain?

Old March 14th 05, 01:24 AM
Iain Miller

"Matt B." > wrote in message
> "Woodchuck" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> If you do the water pump spend the extra $$$$ and replace the timing belt
>> too.

> are Passat V6s a belt or a chain?

Belt