The state of state speed limits

Old July 16th 05, 02:21 AM
John F. Carr

Default The state of state speed limits

With three states raising speed limits this year I decided
to make a map of where America stands:
http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/speed/states.gif

The map shows the highest speeds posted in the state; in
the case of Texas I anticipated the posting of 80 MPH speed
limits later this year.

The corresponding map for two lane roads is
http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/speed/states%202L.gif

States with some sort of rumbling about increases in recent
years include Idaho (75 two lane), Kansas (75), Kentucky
(60 two lane, 70 freeway), Oregon (70), Minnesota (60 two
lane and 75 Interstate), and Wisconsin (75 freeway). All
of these states have neighbors with higher speed limits.

I wanted to make a map for four lane roads but I don't think
it would be very informative. In some states rural divided
highways are almost entirely freeways; in others they are
limited access without interchanges; in others they are not
limited access.

States where I know there are non-freeway rural four lane roads
with the maximum speed limit on such roads between two lane
freeway limits are Alabama (65 on four lane roads), Florida
(65 on divided highways), Indiana (60 on divided highways
without access control), Missouri (65 on divided highways
without access control), North Dakota (70 on divided highways),
South Dakota (70 on divided highways), Washington (65 on
divided highways), and West Virginia (65 on limited access
corridor routes). Of the rest, some post expressways like
freeways and others post expressways like two lane roads.
--
John Carr )
Old July 17th 05, 05:20 AM

> John F. Carr wrote:
>
> States with some sort of rumbling about increases in recent
> years include Idaho (75 two lane), Kansas (75), Kentucky
> (60 two lane, 70 freeway), Oregon (70), Minnesota (60 two
> lane and 75 Interstate), and Wisconsin (75 freeway). All
> of these states have neighbors with higher speed limits.

The "75 Interstate" for Minnesota is news to me, though in both the 75
and the "60 two lane" cases, MnDOT does not necessarily need
Legislative approval. Per Chapter 169, Section 14, Subdivision 4 of
the Minnesota Statutes, the MnDOT commissioner can designate pretty
much any speed limit he/she wants for a given road section so long as
it's justified "upon the basis of an engineering and traffic
investigation". Although there was some discussion earlier this year
about bumping up speed limits on some Twin Cities freeways and rural
2-lane routes, to date MnDOT has yet to increase any speed limits above
the previous statuatory maximums.

> States where I know there are non-freeway rural four lane roads
> with the maximum speed limit on such roads between two lane
> freeway limits are Alabama (65 on four lane roads), Florida
> (65 on divided highways), Indiana (60 on divided highways
> without access control), Missouri (65 on divided highways
> without access control), North Dakota (70 on divided highways),
> South Dakota (70 on divided highways), Washington (65 on
> divided highways), and West Virginia (65 on limited access
> corridor routes). Of the rest, some post expressways like
> freeways and others post expressways like two lane roads.

For Mississippi, 4-lane divided highways have a 65 maximum, with two
exceptions. Those two exceptions are full freeway and are posted 70
MPH except within urban areas where they are 60 MPH...just like the
Interstates are. The two exceptions are US 78 (which is full freeway
in Mississippi), and US 82 east of Starkville.

Minnesota also uses a 65 MPH max on rural non-Interstate 4-lane
highways...though they theoretically could increase this per the
authority mentioned above.

Froggie | Virginia Beach, VA | http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/

Old July 17th 05, 05:57 AM
GL

John F. Carr wrote:
> With three states raising speed limits this year I decided
> to make a map of where America stands:
> http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/speed/states.gif
>
> The map shows the highest speeds posted in the state; in
> the case of Texas I anticipated the posting of 80 MPH speed
> limits later this year.
>
> The corresponding map for two lane roads is
> http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/speed/states%202L.gif
>
> States with some sort of rumbling about increases in recent
> years include Idaho (75 two lane), Kansas (75), Kentucky
> (60 two lane, 70 freeway), Oregon (70), Minnesota (60 two
> lane and 75 Interstate), and Wisconsin (75 freeway). All
> of these states have neighbors with higher speed limits.
>
> I wanted to make a map for four lane roads but I don't think
> it would be very informative. In some states rural divided
> highways are almost entirely freeways; in others they are
> limited access without interchanges; in others they are not
> limited access.
>
> States where I know there are non-freeway rural four lane roads
> with the maximum speed limit on such roads between two lane
> freeway limits are Alabama (65 on four lane roads), Florida
> (65 on divided highways), Indiana (60 on divided highways
> without access control), Missouri (65 on divided highways
> without access control), North Dakota (70 on divided highways),
> South Dakota (70 on divided highways), Washington (65 on
> divided highways), and West Virginia (65 on limited access
> corridor routes). Of the rest, some post expressways like
> freeways and others post expressways like two lane roads.

Your map shows CA as having a max speed limit of 70. It should be 65.
The Maximum Speed in CA on freeways is 65, unless otherwise posted.
Old July 17th 05, 06:03 AM
Chris Bessert

GL wrote:

> Your map shows CA as having a max speed limit of 70. It should be 65.
> The Maximum Speed in CA on freeways is 65, unless otherwise posted.

According to the California DMV, 70 mph is the maximum CalTrans can
sign a freeway. Since John's map notes the top speed that a freeway is
able to be signed in a given state, I'd say he's correct:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22356.htm

Later,
Chris

--
Chris Bessert

http://www.michiganhighways.org
http://www.wisconsinhighways.org
http://www.ontariohighways.org
Old July 17th 05, 09:56 AM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Chris Bessert" > wrote in message
> GL wrote:
> >
> > Your map shows CA as having a max speed limit of 70. It should be 65.
> > The Maximum Speed in CA on freeways is 65, unless otherwise posted.

> According to the California DMV, 70 mph is the maximum CalTrans can
> sign a freeway. Since John's map notes the top speed that a freeway is
> able to be signed in a given state, I'd say he's correct:
>
> http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22356.htm
>
> Later,
> Chris

As one data point in support of the fact that CA freeways have a maximum of
70mph, certain parts of the Interstate 15 North are signed as Speed
Limit/Maximum Speed 70.

Old July 17th 05, 03:28 PM
Robert Cruickshank

Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
> "Chris Bessert" > wrote in message
>
>>GL wrote:
>>
>>>Your map shows CA as having a max speed limit of 70. It should be 65.
>>>The Maximum Speed in CA on freeways is 65, unless otherwise posted.

>>According to the California DMV, 70 mph is the maximum CalTrans can
>>sign a freeway. Since John's map notes the top speed that a freeway is
>>able to be signed in a given state, I'd say he's correct:
>>
>> http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22356.htm
>>
>>Later,
>>Chris
>>

> As one data point in support of the fact that CA freeways have a maximum of
> 70mph, certain parts of the Interstate 15 North are signed as Speed
> Limit/Maximum Speed 70.

Some rural interstates do have a speed limit of 70 - in addition to I-15
as you mentioned, I-40, I-10 east of Banning, and parts of I-5 in the
Central Valley are all signed at 70 mph.

--
Robert I. Cruickshank
roadgeek, historian, progressive
Old July 17th 05, 05:42 PM
GL

Roger that. I guess I missed that part of the post.

Old July 17th 05, 07:29 PM

John F. Carr wrote:

> States where I know there are non-freeway rural four lane roads
> with the maximum speed limit on such roads between two lane
> freeway limits are Alabama (65 on four lane roads), Florida
> (65 on divided highways), Indiana (60 on divided highways
> without access control), Missouri (65 on divided highways
> without access control), North Dakota (70 on divided highways),
> South Dakota (70 on divided highways), Washington (65 on
> divided highways), and West Virginia (65 on limited access
> corridor routes). Of the rest, some post expressways like
> freeways and others post expressways like two lane roads.
> --

Missouri has several 4-lane expressways with 70 MPH limits. They are
US 63 between Columbia and Jefferson City and US 54 between Kingdom
City and Jefferson City. (I think other parts of US 54 may be posted
at 70 MPH as well.)

John Brocato

Old July 17th 05, 09:52 PM
MC Pee Pants

TV's John F. Carr wrote:
> States where I know there are non-freeway rural four lane roads
> with the maximum speed limit on such roads between two lane
> freeway limits are Alabama (65 on four lane roads), Florida
> (65 on divided highways), Indiana (60 on divided highways
> without access control), Missouri (65 on divided highways
> without access control), North Dakota (70 on divided highways),
> South Dakota (70 on divided highways), Washington (65 on
> divided highways), and West Virginia (65 on limited access
> corridor routes). Of the rest, some post expressways like
> freeways and others post expressways like two lane roads.

Arkansas has a maximum of 70 on freeways, 65 on 4 lane divided expressways,
and 55 on two-lane roads. Has anybody seen a 4-lane undivided highway in AR
with a speed limit of 60 or 65?

--

Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.