rack and pinion prices for a LH car

Old June 20th 05, 08:49 PM
Zentraleinheit

Default rack and pinion prices for a LH car

I been look on the net for a rack and pinion replacement for my 1996 Eagle
Vision TSI

But, I have confused over the range of prices of this part.

From a "low" of $119.95 to a "high" $525.00

Except for the difference between re-manufactured and new.

What can explain such a price range?

When one say "rack and pinion unit" is it one part, or a group of parts that
when combined make up a rack and pinion?

And that "cheaper" the unit the more bare bones it is and the more extra
parts it need to make it a complete unit?

And on the flip side, the "expensive" unit has all the necessary part right
out of the box to be installed on said car with-out any more parts?

Old June 21st 05, 08:49 PM
Steve

I know I shouldn't respond to the resident troll, BUT...

Its obvious that Noman Numbnuts hasn't ever really looked at an LH car.
The rack is a piece of cake to replace, access is incredibly easy. IF
you read the FSM and remove the cowl assembly that carries the wipers
and wiper motor (a whopping 5 minute job!) BEFORE you just dive in and
start trying to get at the rack.

Yer an idjit, Nomen. But we knew that.....

Old June 22nd 05, 02:49 PM
Zentraleinheit

>The rack is a piece of cake to replace, access is incredibly easy

That is not what I been told!

I was informed that is a 5 to 7 hour job

and that the labor alone is around $500

So who right?

Old June 22nd 05, 11:16 PM
Steve

Zentraleinheit wrote:

>>The rack is a piece of cake to replace, access is incredibly easy

> That is not what I been told!
>
> I was informed that is a 5 to 7 hour job
>
> and that the labor alone is around $500
>
> So who right?

Well, I've replaced the bushings on my own 1993 LH car rack (and the
only thing else I'd have to do to REPLACE it would have been to remove
the two hydraulic hoses, disconnect the steering coupler, and lift it
out). The rack has 220,000 miles on it and hasn't needed replacement,
though.

The bushing job was only about an hour and a half, I'd guess I could've
replaced the whole rack in 3 hours easy.

I suppose the second-gen (98-up) LH rack might be harder- especially if
it has the speed-sensitve power steering option (a good reason to avoid
stupid options like that, IMO). But 5-7 hours? Heck, you can change the
ENGINE in a 2nd-gen LH in less than that!

Old June 23rd 05, 03:28 AM
Richard Ehrenberg

Actually, Chrysler DID NOT design the basic LH-car platfrom. RENAULT did!
(Premier / Monaco, etc.) When they bought AMC, this platform, and the
Toronto-area ass'y plant, came with the deal.

Rick

Old June 23rd 05, 02:49 PM
Zentraleinheit

> suppose the second-gen (98-up) LH rack might be harder

Since my is a 96 I know is a first-gen LH car

>especially if it has the speed-sensitve power steering option ( a good

reason to avoid
stupid options like that)

The Vision TSI (Which I got used) came with it standard.

The rack has 220,000 miles on it and hasn't needed replacement

Well, lucky you. I have 64,000 miles on my car and not only don't I have
any power when I turn left. In the past year the themostat, brake lines,
water pump (2nd time) and timeing belt all went. Not to mention the AC is
not cold, broken driver seat, ABS that won't disengage. and nosiy
suspention..

Oh how I wish I didn't get rid of the Aspen so many years ago ;-(

Old June 23rd 05, 05:24 PM
Steve

That old rumor is WAY overdue to die- the LH has nothing in common
with the Renault platform, EXCEPT the rather uncommon FWD/longitudinal
engine layout. The LH platform actually started out as a transverse
layout, but was switched due to (among other things) plans to offer an
AWD version that never materialized. Reportedly a "mule" that was used
to mock-up the LH drivetrain was built on an old Monaco/Premier chassis,
and that may have started the rumor.

Old June 24th 05, 02:46 PM
Art

What is wrong with the seat? The bolts were covered by a recall and the
tracks were also replaced for free though it wasn't an official recall. The
condenser was covered for a certain mileage limit..... I don't have the
letters any more..... I got rid of my 94 LHS several years ago. It was a
nice car though it rode hard with the wrong tires. I think the water pump
was redesigned. Perhaps your original replacement was the old version.
Complaining about a thermostat going? That is pretty silly.

Old June 24th 05, 03:45 PM
Zentraleinheit

>What is wrong with the seat?

The weld that hold the seat back to the seat bottom broke

>The bolts were covered by a recall and the tracks were also replaced for

free though it wasn't an official recall

Chrysler don't consider a broken weld worthy of a recall nor a company
problem. Even tho there is a Service bulletin warning of it.

>The condenser was covered for a certain mileage limit..

at 65000 I might be over it

>Complaining about a thermostat going?

Yes, it the first time it ever happen in any of the cars I own

Old June 24th 05, 11:13 PM
Joe

You can't really be planning to argue with somebody that wants an Aspen, can
you? Think, man.

link.net...