Speedy Jim's VW Stories

Old April 13th 05, 10:49 PM
tricky

That thread will rumble on for ages ! - cool :-)

Rich

Old April 13th 05, 10:51 PM
Shag

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:49:59 GMT, tricky >
wrote:

>That thread will rumble on for ages ! - cool :-)
>
>Rich

All hail the parking/emergency/spin-out-for-fun/hand brake thread!
:-)

>Shag wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:06:57 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
>> wrote:

>>>rolling.:"

>>>Tom, can i assume(yeah i know) that you did not follow the "other" thread?
>>>I'm kind of getting the impression you did, but then i get the impression
>>>you didn't....if you did you would know regaurdless of who says otherwise
>>>you NEVER use the handbrake for parking....never.....that and apparently i
>>>need medication....
>>>

>> He apparently did NOT follow the other thread.
>>
>> "Stupid people are funny." - me

"Stupid people are funny." - me
Old April 13th 05, 11:12 PM
Shag

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:51:35 GMT, Shag
> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:49:59 GMT, tricky >
>wrote:
>
>>That thread will rumble on for ages ! - cool :-)
>>
>>Rich

>All hail the parking/emergency/spin-out-for-fun/hand brake thread!
>:-)

HA! Was just watching the local news. What a shame.....

http://www.wral.com/news/4376145/detail.html
quote: "DURHAM, N.C. -- A tractor-trailer crashed into an ABC store in
Durham. The big rig was making a delivery at a Lone Star restaurant
on Chapel Hill Boulevard around 9 a.m. Wednesday when authorities
believe the emergency brake was not set, and it rolled right into the
front of the ABC store."

If only he'd been creative and used that emergency brake to secure his
vehicle when he parked it. :-)

>>Shag wrote:

>>> He apparently did NOT follow the other thread.
>>>
>>> "Stupid people are funny." - me

>"Stupid people are funny." - me

"Stupid people are funny." - me
Old April 14th 05, 02:58 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Shag" > wrote in message
> >> No, but you guys.... the parking brake is only used for emergencies.
> >> Not for parking. JJ, set these guys straight. :-)
> >> "Stupid people are funny." - me

This is what you wrote.
So I assumed that you thought the "handbrake" was not used for parking, but
used for emergencies. There are some drivers who actually refer the
"handbrake" as the emergency brake, so this should not be confused.
I'm used to the straight foreword, use our real names approach. So when
someone writes that the parking brake is only used for emergencies, not for
parking, I'm assuming that's what he/she means.

The one thing I do like about the older VW manuals is, they get right to the
point and I find them well written.
> http://www.vw-resource.com/images/66manualpage22.jpg
>
> I did. My manual says the same thing. If you'd followed the
> "parking/emergency brake" thread you'd see that I've said all along
> that the "hand brake" is used for parking.

Good, glad we got that straight, the "handbrake" is used for parking and
not emergencies.
btw: Shag who?
-tom

Old April 14th 05, 10:41 PM
Shag

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 06:58:30 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
> wrote:

>"Shag" > wrote in message
.. .

>This is what you wrote.
>So I assumed that you thought the "handbrake" was not used for parking, but
>used for emergencies. There are some drivers who actually refer the
>"handbrake" as the emergency brake

Some drivers also smoke crack. ;-)

, so this should not be confused.
>I'm used to the straight foreword, use our real names approach. So when
>someone writes that the parking brake is only used for emergencies, not for
>parking, I'm assuming that's what he/she means.
>
>The one thing I do like about the older VW manuals is, they get right to the
>point and I find them well written.
>> http://www.vw-resource.com/images/66manualpage22.jpg
>>
>> I did. My manual says the same thing. If you'd followed the
>> "parking/emergency brake" thread you'd see that I've said all along
>> that the "hand brake" is used for parking.

>Good, glad we got that straight, the "handbrake" is used for parking and
>not emergencies.
>btw: Shag who?
>-tom

"Stupid people are funny." - me
Old April 15th 05, 03:10 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Shag" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 06:58:30 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Shag" > wrote in message
> .. .

emergencies.

> >This is what you wrote.
> >So I assumed that you thought the "handbrake" was not used for parking,

but
> >used for emergencies. There are some drivers who actually refer the
> >"handbrake" as the emergency brake

> Some drivers also smoke crack. ;-)
> "Stupid people are funny." - me

I just hope you're not one of them, at least if you're driving in back of me
on a steep slope, but if you do..."Hit the Handbrake!"
-tom

Old April 15th 05, 04:29 PM
Joao Eliseu

>Good, glad we got that straight, the "handbrake" is used for parking and
>not emergencies.

We should use the handbrake (some car’s it is a footbrake like Mercedes) whenever
we need it. I use them when brakes fail or to park...
It also can be used to avoid a front colisions :-/
Joao

Old April 16th 05, 04:54 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Joao Eliseu" > wrote in message

> It also can be used to avoid a front colisions :-/
> Joao

sure can....you jam the handbrake/footbrake while moving pretty good and you
will definitely save the front end, now the rearend is a different story as
it comes around...<G>

Old April 16th 05, 07:29 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Joao Eliseu" > wrote in message

PS: I never use the brakes that way

> Joao

you would love the sticker i had on my racecar....it said "brakes are for
pussies".....hehe

Old April 16th 05, 08:21 PM
Joao Eliseu

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote:

>"Joao Eliseu" > wrote in message
>

>> It also can be used to avoid a front colisions :-/
>> Joao
>>

>sure can....you jam the handbrake/footbrake while moving pretty good and you
>will definitely save the front end, now the rearend is a different story as
>it comes around...<G>

You are right...but it can be you lucky day... :-)