Death Wobble?

Old February 11th 05, 04:15 AM
Ervin Charles

Default Death Wobble?

Hey group,
I am experiencing a wobble in the front end of my 86 CJ7. It is slight and
I don't feel it until I hit about 65 mph. I think it's probably a wheel
balance problem but just in case....... What causes the dreaded "Death
Wobble" commonly associated with short wheelbase 4X4's? I heard of it and
seen it on Jeeps, Broncos and IH Scouts, usually at speeds in the 40-50 mph
range, but have never heard a definitive answer on the cause or the fix. I'm
sure somebody out there has the answer.
Thanks,
Charles

Old February 11th 05, 05:35 AM
Dick

Can't speak for the CJ, but when it happened in our ZJ it nearly
scared us to death. It was a combination of loose stuff in the front
end. Had to replace the steering stabilizer, track bar, tie-bar ends
and drag links. That solved the wobble. The last fix was to replace
the stabilizer bar link bushings. It's like new now. I'm sure your
problem is somewhere in the same areas. A good front-end man can tell
you by watching things move while someone turns the steering wheel
back and forth.

Dick

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:15:34 -0600, "Ervin Charles"

Old February 11th 05, 07:51 AM
DougW

Ervin Charles did pass the time by typing:
> Hey group,
> I am experiencing a wobble in the front end of my 86 CJ7. It is slight and
> I don't feel it until I hit about 65 mph. I think it's probably a wheel
> balance problem but just in case....... What causes the dreaded "Death
> Wobble" commonly associated with short wheelbase 4X4's? I heard of it and
> seen it on Jeeps, Broncos and IH Scouts, usually at speeds in the 40-50 mph
> range, but have never heard a definitive answer on the cause or the fix. I'm
> sure somebody out there has the answer.

Tire balance.
Steering damper.
Shocks.
(in that order)

Run your hand around the tire. If you feel edges going one way and not
the other or cupping it's time for new shocks.

DW at a specific speed it 99% balance. Rotate the tires front to back
and got for a drive. IF the DW goes away have the tires balanced.

If the DW stays, replace the stabilizer.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old February 11th 05, 02:50 PM

I had a bad case of this in my TJ late last year and the guys here
recommended new tires. I went out and got a set and the difference was
UNREAL. Like a new Jeep! When I looked at the 4 old ones next to each
other, one of them was pretty far from round.

Matt

Old February 12th 05, 01:33 AM
RoyJ

Yours sounds like it bounces at one speed only. That is usually tires,
either out of balance, cupped, or out of round. As others noted: balance
the tires, new, tires, shocks.

Real Death Wobble is a side to side shake that starts at a certain speed
and won't go away until you slow way down, sometimes to a complete stop.
The shake is BRUTAL, you feel like you can't control it at all.
Usually starts with an out of balance (and probably oversize) tire, you
need a bum steering stablizer and worn ball joints or tire rod ends to
really get a good case. You can mask the problem with a new steering
stablizier, you really need to find the loose parts in the steering and
front suspension.

Old February 12th 05, 03:03 AM
Ervin Charles

Thanks for the replies guys,
New Stabilizer and re-balance solved it, looks like every thing else is
tight.
Appreciate the input.
Charles