Geo Metro Gauge problems

Old February 10th 05, 12:51 AM

Default Geo Metro Gauge problems

Hi,
I have a Geo Metro (1992, 2 door, 3 cylinder) and the fuel and
temperature gauges have started to act crazy. The temperature gauge was
particularly alarming because it indicated that the car was
overheating. I had a mechanic check it and he said the temperature is
fine and that the gauges are probably broken. He said it would cost
~$200 to fix it. He also said as long as I keep an eye on the coolant
and keep the gas tank full, that I can probably leave it broken.
He didn't seem too enthusiastic about my idea to replace the engine
with a rebuilt. I bought the car with abtou 81,000 miles on it and had
to get the engine essentially rebuilt after buying it. Since then, I've
put over 100,000 miles on the car. It still gets 50 mpg and runs quite
well. The mechanic, in Pennsylvania where I now live, said that the
body is probably in bad shape, but he didn't check it. I moved from
Montana where they don't salt the street, so corosion is not as bad
there.
Any thoughts and opinions about the gauges or the rebuilt engine idea?
I can't afford a new car and I don't want to buy a used car because
they are typically in bad shape and require a lot of work initially. At
least with a rebuilt engine, I'd know the engine is OK.
I travel quite a bit, about 1200 miles per month, and am worried my
car's days are coming to an end.
Thank you for your help and advice. By the way, I don't know anything
about car engines and repair, so please be patient with me.
Sincerely,
Heath

Old February 10th 05, 01:11 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On 9 Feb 2005 15:51:23 -0800, wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a Geo Metro (1992, 2 door, 3 cylinder) and the fuel and
>temperature gauges have started to act crazy. The temperature gauge was
>particularly alarming because it indicated that the car was
>overheating. I had a mechanic check it and he said the temperature is
>fine and that the gauges are probably broken. He said it would cost
>~$200 to fix it. He also said as long as I keep an eye on the coolant
>and keep the gas tank full, that I can probably leave it broken.

I sort of agree with this to this point. But I've seen gauge kits at
car parts stores that have all you need
fuel
amperes
oil pressure

and the only question I have is how to hook them up to the sensors.
That is going to be the tough part of the job. The gauges are cheap
enough, but finding out how to hook them up to the sensors for those
things is a mystery unless you know someone who is familiar with your
particular automobile. Maybe the instructions that come with the kit
have the instructions, don't know.

>He didn't seem too enthusiastic about my idea to replace the engine
>with a rebuilt. I bought the car with abtou 81,000 miles on it and had
>to get the engine essentially rebuilt after buying it. Since then, I've
>put over 100,000 miles on the car. It still gets 50 mpg and runs quite
>well. The mechanic, in Pennsylvania where I now live, said that the
>body is probably in bad shape, but he didn't check it.

I've driven cars where you could see the road beneath you if you
looked down from the driver's seat. So? I never fell out of one,
although I =did= get a ticket in Pennsylvania from a cop who said
something about my car needing to have something on it fixed, can't
remember what now, too many years ago.

> I moved from
>Montana where they don't salt the street, so corosion is not as bad
>there.
>Any thoughts and opinions about the gauges or the rebuilt engine idea?

Engine is probably OK in my opinion.
If you need a gauge kit, see above. BTW, getting it fixed for less
than $200 sounds like a hell of a bargain.

>I can't afford a new car and I don't want to buy a used car because
>they are typically in bad shape and require a lot of work initially. At
>least with a rebuilt engine, I'd know the engine is OK.
>I travel quite a bit, about 1200 miles per month, and am worried my
>car's days are coming to an end.
>Thank you for your help and advice. By the way, I don't know anything
>about car engines and repair, so please be patient with me.
>Sincerely,
>Heath

I think if I were in your situation, I would go to a parts store, open
a box that has a gauge cluster in it, and scope out the installation
instructions. If it looked like something I could do myself, ( route
some wires from some sending sensors to the back of the gauge cluster
) then I would probably buy the kit, install the wires, and be happy
about it.

Lg

Old February 10th 05, 01:23 AM
Nate Nagel

Lawrence Glickman wrote:

> [...]

>>I can't afford a new car and I don't want to buy a used car because
>>they are typically in bad shape and require a lot of work initially. At
>>least with a rebuilt engine, I'd know the engine is OK.
>>I travel quite a bit, about 1200 miles per month, and am worried my
>>car's days are coming to an end.
>>Thank you for your help and advice. By the way, I don't know anything
>>about car engines and repair, so please be patient with me.
>>Sincerely,
>>Heath

> I think if I were in your situation, I would go to a parts store, open
> a box that has a gauge cluster in it, and scope out the installation
> instructions. If it looked like something I could do myself, ( route
> some wires from some sending sensors to the back of the gauge cluster
> ) then I would probably buy the kit, install the wires, and be happy

Don't even bother, just go straight to the junkyard. an IP for a Metro
can't be that desirable an item.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old February 10th 05, 01:48 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:23:32 -0500, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

> [...]

>>>least with a rebuilt engine, I'd know the engine is OK.
>>>I travel quite a bit, about 1200 miles per month, and am worried my
>>>car's days are coming to an end.
>>>Thank you for your help and advice. By the way, I don't know anything
>>>about car engines and repair, so please be patient with me.
>>>Sincerely,
>>>Heath

>> I think if I were in your situation, I would go to a parts store, open
>> a box that has a gauge cluster in it, and scope out the installation
>> instructions. If it looked like something I could do myself, ( route
>> some wires from some sending sensors to the back of the gauge cluster
>> ) then I would probably buy the kit, install the wires, and be happy
>> about it.
>>
>> Lg
>>

>Don't even bother, just go straight to the junkyard. an IP for a Metro

You have to think about the work involved in that.
Possibly remove instrument panel from junked Metro
Remove instrument panel from OP's car
Install instrument panel from JY into OP's car
hope everything works.

That's a lot of screwdriver work there, maybe you need special torx
bits, maybe you have to know where all the fasteners are hidden to
begin with. How many times have you thought you had all the screws
out and went to pull off a panel only to realize there were more
fasteners -somewhere- that had to come out?

Sure if OP wants to go through all of this, it will be a great
learning experience, but I get the impression he just wants his
information back as soon as possible with the least amount of fuss.

Lg

Old February 10th 05, 02:15 AM
Bob

"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:23:32 -0500, Nate Nagel >
> wrote:
>
>>Lawrence Glickman wrote:

>>> I sort of agree with this to this point. But I've seen gauge kits at
>>> car parts stores that have all you need
>>> fuel
>>> amperes
>>> oil pressure
>>>
>>> and the only question I have is how to hook them up to the sensors.
>>> That is going to be the tough part of the job. The gauges are cheap
>>> enough, but finding out how to hook them up to the sensors for those
>>> things is a mystery unless you know someone who is familiar with your
>>> particular automobile. Maybe the instructions that come with the kit
>>> have the instructions, don't know.

>>> I've driven cars where you could see the road beneath you if you
>>> looked down from the driver's seat. So? I never fell out of one,
>>> although I =did= get a ticket in Pennsylvania from a cop who said
>>> something about my car needing to have something on it fixed, can't
>>> remember what now, too many years ago.

>>> Engine is probably OK in my opinion.
>>> If you need a gauge kit, see above. BTW, getting it fixed for less
>>> than $200 sounds like a hell of a bargain.

>>> I think if I were in your situation, I would go to a parts store, open
>>> a box that has a gauge cluster in it, and scope out the installation
>>> instructions. If it looked like something I could do myself, ( route
>>> some wires from some sending sensors to the back of the gauge cluster
>>> ) then I would probably buy the kit, install the wires, and be happy
>>> about it.
>>>
>>> Lg
>>>

>>Don't even bother, just go straight to the junkyard. an IP for a Metro
>>can't be that desirable an item.
>>
>>nate

> You have to think about the work involved in that.
> Possibly remove instrument panel from junked Metro
> Remove instrument panel from OP's car
> Install instrument panel from JY into OP's car
> hope everything works.
>
> That's a lot of screwdriver work there, maybe you need special torx
> bits, maybe you have to know where all the fasteners are hidden to
> begin with. How many times have you thought you had all the screws
> out and went to pull off a panel only to realize there were more
> fasteners -somewhere- that had to come out?
>
> Sure if OP wants to go through all of this, it will be a great
> learning experience, but I get the impression he just wants his
> information back as soon as possible with the least amount of fuss.
>
> Lg

So you think wiring up an aftermarket fuel gauge would be less work? What
makes you think the problem isn't a bad sending unit or wiring? Or does that
aftermarket unit you're talking about come with a new fuel sender? Gee....
if that's the case the gas tank has to come out. But hey, at least he won't
have wasted 30 minutes replacing his cluster. Unbelievable.....
Bob

Old February 10th 05, 02:28 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 19:15:54 -0600, "Bob" > wrote:

>So you think wiring up an aftermarket fuel gauge would be less work? What
>makes you think the problem isn't a bad sending unit or wiring? Or does that
>aftermarket unit you're talking about come with a new fuel sender? Gee....
>if that's the case the gas tank has to come out. But hey, at least he won't
>have wasted 30 minutes replacing his cluster. Unbelievable.....
> Bob

What is unbelievable, is you are STILL on my ass.
After it like a rabid dog.

And like a rabid dog, you should be approached by Animal Control with
due caution, and disposed of forthwith.

Lg

Old February 10th 05, 02:44 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:28:45 -0600, Lawrence Glickman
> wrote:

>On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 19:15:54 -0600, "Bob" > wrote:
>

>>So you think wiring up an aftermarket fuel gauge would be less work? What
>>makes you think the problem isn't a bad sending unit or wiring?

For the same reason I don't think a flock of Mallard Ducks are going
to fly out of your ass.

What makes you think it IS a bad sending unit or wiring. eh?

>>Or does that
>>aftermarket unit you're talking about come with a new fuel sender? Gee....
>>if that's the case the gas tank has to come out. But hey, at least he won't
>>have wasted 30 minutes replacing his cluster. Unbelievable.....
>> Bob

Yah, you have quite an imagination, bottom boy. You come up with all
kinds of horse**** ideas that have no basis in Reality.

Lg

Old February 10th 05, 02:49 AM
Bob

"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 19:15:54 -0600, "Bob" > wrote:
>

>>So you think wiring up an aftermarket fuel gauge would be less work? What
>>makes you think the problem isn't a bad sending unit or wiring? Or does
>>that
>>aftermarket unit you're talking about come with a new fuel sender? Gee....
>>if that's the case the gas tank has to come out. But hey, at least he
>>won't
>>have wasted 30 minutes replacing his cluster. Unbelievable.....
>> Bob

> What is unbelievable, is you are STILL on my ass.
> After it like a rabid dog.
>
> And like a rabid dog, you should be approached by Animal Control with
> due caution, and disposed of forthwith.
>
> Lg

Like I said Larry, I consider it a public service. A lot of the visitors
here don't realize how truly stupid most of your ideas are. I'm just doing
them a favor by pointing out the stupidest of your ideas.
Bob

Old February 10th 05, 02:55 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 19:49:07 -0600, "Bob" > wrote:

>"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 19:15:54 -0600, "Bob" > wrote:
>>

>>>So you think wiring up an aftermarket fuel gauge would be less work? What
>>>makes you think the problem isn't a bad sending unit or wiring? Or does
>>>that
>>>aftermarket unit you're talking about come with a new fuel sender? Gee....
>>>if that's the case the gas tank has to come out. But hey, at least he
>>>won't
>>>have wasted 30 minutes replacing his cluster. Unbelievable.....
>>> Bob

>> What is unbelievable, is you are STILL on my ass.
>> After it like a rabid dog.
>>
>> And like a rabid dog, you should be approached by Animal Control with
>> due caution, and disposed of forthwith.
>>
>> Lg
>>

>Like I said Larry, I consider it a public service. A lot of the visitors
>here don't realize how truly stupid most of your ideas are. I'm just doing
>them a favor by pointing out the stupidest of your ideas.
> Bob

Installing an aftermarket gauge kit is a stupid idea? Well then, you
should be spending all your time tomorrow running around to all the
auto parts stores telling them to take the products off the shelves
instead of wasting your time here in the n/g.

THAT would be a Public Service, as soon as the men with the little
butterfly nets caught up with you.

Lg

Old February 10th 05, 03:07 AM
Bob

"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:28:45 -0600, Lawrence Glickman
> > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 19:15:54 -0600, "Bob" > wrote:
>>

>>>So you think wiring up an aftermarket fuel gauge would be less work?
>>>What
>>>makes you think the problem isn't a bad sending unit or wiring?

> For the same reason I don't think a flock of Mallard Ducks are going
> to fly out of your ass.
>
> What makes you think it IS a bad sending unit or wiring. eh?

I didn't say it was because I have no idea what his problem is. 20 minutes
with a DVOM and a wiring digram and I would know exactly what his problem is
though.

>>>Or does that
>>>aftermarket unit you're talking about come with a new fuel sender?
>>>Gee....
>>>if that's the case the gas tank has to come out. But hey, at least he
>>>won't
>>>have wasted 30 minutes replacing his cluster. Unbelievable.....
>>> Bob

> Yah, you have quite an imagination, bottom boy. You come up with all
> kinds of horse**** ideas that have no basis in Reality.
>
> Lg

You're the one who said to go to the parts store and get an aftermarket fuel
gauge. Here is your challenge, post a link to an aftermarket gauge that is
cheap and will work with the stock Geo sending unit..
Bob