OEM Online Honda Parts Sites

Old December 27th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Default OEM Online Honda Parts Sites

Dave Kelsen wrote:
> On 12/26/2007 8:05 PM Grumpy AuContraire spake these words of knowledge:
>

>> jim beam wrote:

>>> in other words, you're arguing against yourself. well done.

>> Well, actually you both are... It is legislation that was passed that
>> prohibits any form of internet taxes except when a vendor has a
>> physical presence in the affected state...
>>
>> But the short of it is, generally no tax..
>>
>> JT

> Altogether wrong.
>
> Remember that we're talking about state taxes here.
>
> What the Supreme Court said was, in essence, 'you owe the tax, but we're
> not going to force the seller to collect it.'
>
> The buyer still owes it, and the state can (and if it knows about it,
> will) collect it.
>

> RFT!!!
> Dave Kelsen

So, did you pass fifth grade civics?

It appears that YOU have the problem parsing here...

JT

Old December 27th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> In article >,
> Grumpy AuContraire > wrote:
>

>>If they, (the vendor), has no physical presence in your state and the
>>order is via the internet, NO TAX OF ANY KIND CAN BE COLLECTED.

> It CAN be collected and passed on to the local taxing authority.
>
> However, there's no mandate that such collection take place in such a
> situation.
>
> There's a big difference. A retailer may act as a tax collector for any
> venue.

That retailer who collects a bogus tax is open to litigation which they
will lose.

A state law can never trump a federal law. In this case, federal law is
specific regarding taxes and the internet. That's why state guv'ments
are cryin' that giant whining sound.

JT

Old December 27th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle

"E Meyer" > wrote
> Back to my original assertion -- This is the most anal
> retentive thread of
> the year. I'm still waiting for that show of hands. Who
> here has sent
> unsolicited sales tax payments for internet purchases to
> their state?

They are solicited. Google to verify the point.

I posted my carefully qualified comment only to be complete.
Fact is, states are trying to deal with the loss of sales
tax revenue from internet purchases.

I have at least once paid taxes on internet purchases. It
was due in small part to fear of possibly being audited for
other things. But other times I have blown it off, breaking
the law. Fact is it's a pittance. I happen to be grateful to
live in a country where the chances of my political leaders
being murdered, along with dozens of innocent people, are
slim. Paying taxes to support our government (while it's a
terrible system, I know you seriously could not come up with
another one). Your reaction is stupidity.

Why do you care what other people's personal choices are?
You some kind of busybody?

The bigger point of the thread is I paid some $4 in sales
tax yesterday to a local internet OEM parts supplier and
saved some $17 (Majestic's s/h charge) in transportation
etc. costs. The part was the same price both locally and at
Majestic.

These days, before ordering online from a company far away,
folks should either google or call their dealer and ask if
they have a parts department that sells through the
internet, with competitive yada prices.

Old December 27th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
E Meyer

On 12/27/07 12:58 PM, in article , "Elle"
> wrote:

> "E Meyer" > wrote
>> Back to my original assertion -- This is the most anal
>> retentive thread of
>> the year. I'm still waiting for that show of hands. Who
>> here has sent
>> unsolicited sales tax payments for internet purchases to
>> their state?

> They are solicited. Google to verify the point.
>
> I posted my carefully qualified comment only to be complete.
> Fact is, states are trying to deal with the loss of sales
> tax revenue from internet purchases.
>
> I have at least once paid taxes on internet purchases. It
> was due in small part to fear of possibly being audited for
> other things. But other times I have blown it off, breaking
> the law. Fact is it's a pittance. I happen to be grateful to
> live in a country where the chances of my political leaders
> being murdered, along with dozens of innocent people, are
> slim. Paying taxes to support our government (while it's a
> terrible system, I know you seriously could not come up with
> another one). Your reaction is stupidity.

What a load of crap!!

So according to you, if I choose not to somehow send my state a tax payment
from out of state internet purchases I have made (as far as I know, there is
not even a mechanism to do so in my state), then I hate my country, I am
condemning the government to fall, its leaders to be assassinated, and I am
stupid. Now, who is overreacting here?

> Why do you care what other people's personal choices are?
> You some kind of busybody?

Huh? My point is, rhetoric aside, you are now the only person I have ever
encountered who admits to paying. I posted the question because I believe
it is a total non-issue for the vast majority.

> The bigger point of the thread is I paid some $4 in sales
> tax yesterday to a local internet OEM parts supplier and
> saved some $17 (Majestic's s/h charge) in transportation
> etc. costs. The part was the same price both locally and at
> Majestic.

Which is a monetary decision that makes perfect sense. I normally make the
same calculation (total cost including shipping & tax) when I decide where
and how to buy.

The only point (big or small) I have seen being thrashed in this thread is
this nonsense about paying sales taxes uncollected by internet vendors.

> These days, before ordering online from a company far away,
> folks should either google or call their dealer and ask if
> they have a parts department that sells through the
> internet, with competitive yada prices.

I totally agree.

Old December 27th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
E Meyer

On 12/27/07 1:47 PM, in article ,
"Dave Kelsen" > wrote:

> [...]

> No one is trying to tell you that you should pay it. That's up to you.
>
> The only point I have made, and I think this is true of most of the
> others in this thread who have posted, is that the tax exists, and the
> authority to collect it exists. The states don't have the means, or in
> some cases the desire, to collect it, and you can almost assuredly
> continue to not pay sales tax on those items with impunity.
>
> Similarly, I continue to exceed posted speed limits, because the state
> (and county, municipal) authorities don't have the means to enforce the
> law - they aren't able to stop me most of the time when I do it. But
> when I do, I am aware that I am breaking a law; I'm just not likely to
> get caught. When I make a purchase over the internet and do not pay
> sales tax when I submit my taxes at the end of the year, I am breaking
> the law; I'm just not likely to get caught.

Totally true, 'though I still do occasionally trip over that unexpected
speed trap. I think the risk with the tax (at least until the states
discover the internet for their own uses) is substantially less.

Old December 27th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle

"Dave Kelsen" > wrote
> The only point I have made, and I think this is true of
> most of the others in this thread who have posted, is that
> the tax exists, and the authority to collect it exists.
> The states don't have the means, or in some cases the
> desire, to collect it, and you can almost assuredly
> continue to not pay sales tax on those items with
> impunity.

Agreed, except I think this may change sooner rather than
later. It of course would likely require a change in federal
law to have any teeth, since the key probably is to get
internet stores to collect the tax.

> Similarly, I continue to exceed posted speed limits,
> because the state (and county, municipal) authorities
> don't have the means to enforce the law - they aren't able
> to stop me most of the time when I do it. But when I do,
> I am aware that I am breaking a law; I'm just not likely
> to get caught. When I make a purchase over the internet
> and do not pay sales tax when I submit my taxes at the end
> of the year, I am breaking the law; I'm just not likely to
> get caught.

The above denotes my thoughts as well, of course.

More importantly--

I pulled up to the dealership yesterday to make my
incredibly savvy parts purchase. One space right in front of
the showroom is available for beautiful me and my beloved
crate (my 1991 Civic). Dashing young man in gleaming white
shirt and nice tie (car salespeople have the nicest ties)
comes out to "greet me." I smile, greet him back, and point
out, "Purrs like a kitten, doesn't she?... Daggang Civic
won't die... I just need a few parts." Though defeated, he
laughs, nods, and strolls away. With my Honda, I ain't
sharkbait.

She runs even better with the new ignition wires. :-)

Old December 29th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tony Harding

Howard Lester wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote
>
>>> Remember, if you will, that the OP said that he had no obligation to pay
>>> the tax himself. He is obliged to pay it. As you have pointed out, the
>>> merchant selling to him is NOT required to collect it unless they have a
>>> physical presence or nexus in his state. The synopsis of the USSC
>>> decision also points out that the tax which is due is "effectively
>>> uncollectable," I said as much in my post.

>> in other words, you're arguing against yourself. well done.

> You'd make a good lawyer.

I wouldn't retain him based on this thread.
Old December 29th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tony Harding

Elle wrote:
> "Inigo Lopez de Loyola" <i@hs> wrote
>> If you buy online from a supplier who does not have a
>> "business nexus" in your state, they can't collect sales
>> tax from you any you're not "obliged" to pay it

> One is legally required to report it on one's state's taxes
> and pay sales tax on it. Poster "Say What" is correct. Check
> state tax instructions yourself.

In NJ it asks if you've made any untaxed (sales tax) purchases. Anyone
who answers "yes" is paying a Stupid Tax IMHO.
Old December 29th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tony Harding

E Meyer wrote:
> And exactly who is going to be asking for these receipts?
>
> I live in Texas, a state which has no state income tax. There is no
> personal state tax filing, no forms, no affidavits, no audits. Sales taxes
> are collected by businesses.
>
> The Federal government has no incentive to care about this. If you live in a
> state without an income tax, sales taxes are deductible, thereby possibly
> reducing your federal income tax due.
>
> Back to my original assertion -- This is the most anal retentive thread of
> the year. I'm still waiting for that show of hands. Who here has sent
> unsolicited sales tax payments for internet purchases to their state?

I think you have your answer.
Old December 29th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tony Harding

Dave Kelsen wrote:
> On 12/27/2007 1:25 PM E Meyer spake these words of knowledge:

<snipped>

"The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your
problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the
ecology or the president. You realize that you control your own
destiny." -- Albert Ellis

Wow, not often I see Al Ellis quoted online!