WTF is this?

Old October 25th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Default WTF is this?

Grant Edwards > wrote in
:

> On 2006-10-25, XS11E > wrote:
>
>>> Do you have hard evidence that Mazda produces Miatas with
>>> insufficient fuel pressure? And why this would require an
>>> adjustable fuel pressure controller?

>> Sure, the fact that the product exists. If there were no
>> problem, they wouldn't have a fix for it.

> Just like the "tornado" vortex inducers? And the cow
> magnets that "align the gasoline molecules"? And those 7"
> diameter exhause tips?

Nope, like adjustable pressure regulators, a fix for a known problem.
I wish they'd made an adjustable regulator for the early BMW "K" bikes,
that would have eliminated the need to squeeze the stock regulator in a
vise to increase the spring pressure, needed for modified engines.

>> Ask Moss Motors about it, see how many they sell.

> People buying something doesn't prove it's useful.

It's a clue. Continued sales would indicate the product fills a need.

Old October 25th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Oh darn !!! Now you guys are going to tell me that the "EASY BUTTON"
does not work ! The next thing it's going to be the, "Magic Door" !
Where will it end ??????

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old October 26th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

XS11E wrote:

> It's a clue. Continued sales would indicate the product fills a need.

A much better clue is the lack of one single comment by European miata
owners about having a problem with low fuel pressure that needs a
special valve.
That is not a single comment in over 7 years on this newsgroup, that is
more than a clue, I think.

The only surprising thing is that there has not been at least one person
claiming that this power boost valve is great to justify the money that
they just wasted.

Maybe that is more of an American thing, the placebo effect and the NEED
to perceive the thing as helping because it made your wallet lighter.

Pat
Old October 26th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mal Osborne

>> Sure, the fact that the product exists. If there were no problem, they
>> wouldn't have a fix for it.

> Come, now. What about the Iraq war? Or the entire health food industry?
> Scare some people enough and you'll create a market for your "solution."

Not to mention religion...

Old October 26th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2006-10-25, XS11E > wrote:

>>> Sure, the fact that the product exists. If there were no
>>> problem, they wouldn't have a fix for it.

>> Just like the "tornado" vortex inducers? And the cow magnets
>> that "align the gasoline molecules"? And those 7" diameter
>> exhause tips?

> Nope, like adjustable pressure regulators, a fix for a known
> problem.

But, those products exist. You stated that the existence of
the product proved the existence of a problem the product is
fixing. Therefore, there must be a problem of too little
turbulence in intake manifolds and misaligned gasoline
molecules in fuel lines.

[Presumably the 7" exhaust tips solve the problem of a car
not looking and sounding stupid. ]

> I wish they'd made an adjustable regulator for the early BMW
> "K" bikes, that would have eliminated the need to squeeze the
> stock regulator in a vise to increase the spring pressure,
> needed for modified engines.

Fair enough. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody needed
a different fuel pressure for a modified engine.

But, the claim under consideration is that _stock_ engines
don't have sufficient fuel pressure -- that the Mazda engineers
screwed up something as simple as fuel pressure to the extent
that it causes a noticable reduction in drivability -- and that
it something wouldn't have cost any more to do right.

If it were cheaper to produce cars with insufficient fuel
pressure, I could see some Ford accounting type cracking the
whip over the heads of the engineering staff. But I don't see
how that could be the case.

>>> Ask Moss Motors about it, see how many they sell.

>> People buying something doesn't prove it's useful.

> It's a clue. Continued sales would indicate the product fills
> a need.

I'm not giving points just for sales. Huge numbers of people
buy massive amounts of all sorts of useless (and even harmful)
stuff -- especially to put in/on their cars and down their
throats.

I will give a few points for it being sold by Moss -- they're a
pretty reputable operation. But, the second I see an
infomercial for it on late night TV it goes straight onto the
"useless piece of crap" list.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! DIDI... is that a
at MARTIAN name, or, are we
Old October 26th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2006-10-25, pws > wrote:
> XS11E wrote:
>
>> It's a clue. Continued sales would indicate the product fills a need.

> A much better clue is the lack of one single comment by European miata
> owners about having a problem with low fuel pressure that needs a
> special valve.
> That is not a single comment in over 7 years on this newsgroup, that is
> more than a clue, I think.
>
> The only surprising thing is that there has not been at least one person
> claiming that this power boost valve is great to justify the money that
> they just wasted.
>
> Maybe that is more of an American thing, the placebo effect
> and the NEED to perceive the thing as helping because it made
> your wallet lighter.

It's got a dial and a knob, so somebody will buy it just for
the fun of watching the dial change when the knob is turned.

Hell, I've got an intake manifold boost pressure gauge in my
dash and

A) I don't have a turbo.

B) It isn't even hooked up to the intake manifold.

But, I got tired of looking at the hole in the dash above the
stereo that was sized just right for 3 gauges, it matches the
only decent looking analog clock module that I could find to
put in that hole, and I was too lazy/chicken to try to install
an oil pressure gauge.

The third hole has a voltmeter. Which isn't all that useful,
but it was cheap and didn't require fishing anything through
the firewall.

Someday I really am going to shove that plastic tube through
the firewall and hook it to the intake manifold. Then I can
watch the needle move when the gas pedal moves!

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! MMM-MM!! So THIS is
at BIO-NEBULATION!
Old October 26th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2006-10-25, Mal Osborne > wrote:

>>> Sure, the fact that the product exists. If there were no problem, they
>>> wouldn't have a fix for it.

>> Come, now. What about the Iraq war? Or the entire health food industry?
>> Scare some people enough and you'll create a market for your "solution."

> Not to mention religion...

Well, I was trying not to...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm EMOTIONAL
at now because I have
Old October 26th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Mal Osborne wrote:

>>> Sure, the fact that the product exists. If there were no problem,
>>> they wouldn't have a fix for it.

>> Come, now. What about the Iraq war? Or the entire health food
>> industry? Scare some people enough and you'll create a market for your
>> "solution."
>>

> Not to mention religion...

Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man,
living in the sky who watches everything you do every minute of every
day. And the invisible man has a special list of 10 things he does not
want you to do. And if you do any of these 10 things, he has a special
place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where
he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and
cry forever and ever till the end of time... But he *loves you*.

-George Carlin

Old October 26th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Mal Osborne" > wrote:

> > Come, now. What about the Iraq war? Or the entire health food industry?
> > Scare some people enough and you'll create a market for your "solution."
> >

> Not to mention religion...

With considerable and uncharacteristic restraint, I didn't.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old October 26th 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default WTF is this? (NMC)

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> With considerable and uncharacteristic restraint, I didn't.

As soon as the topic started veering off course into marketing, it is
only natural that the longest-lasting and by far the most lucrative
marketing campaign in human history would be mentioned, from the
earliest primitive shamans to the current crop of shamans such as Ratzi
the Nazi, or Pope Benedict XVI as he is now called. ;-)

Pat