engine temp.

Old July 25th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

Default engine temp.

"187" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> could the seal between the engine and the rear apron (right above the
> muffler) be causing this?
> during the clutch job, most of the seal at the rear of the engine
> compartment got broken off.
> the sides are still in place.
> im wondering if air that passes over the engine is being brought back up
> through that hole, and just blowing hotter, and hotter air over the
> engine. just a thought.
> matt

any missing tinware or rubber seals can cause an engine to overheat...those
issues need to be addressed first....you are running too hot and heating up
too fast....this could ruin your engine pretty quickly...

Old July 25th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
187

do you think taking my engine lid off and driving it would let me know if
the seal is all of my problem?
thanks
matt

Old July 25th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"187" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> do you think taking my engine lid off and driving it would let me know if
> the seal is all of my problem?
> thanks
> matt

according to some well known names in the vw industry, taking the decklid
off increases the chances of the turbulent air at the rear of the vehicle
making its way back into the engine compartment....not sure if it would help
you or not....but one thing i am sure of, the engine compartment seals are
cheap and relatively easy to install...if yours are that bad(that they are
falling apart) you need to replace them....reguardless of if you "suspect"
them to be the problem or not....can you take some pictures of your
engine/compartment/tinware and post them on a site somewhere? Pictures would
really help alot...

Old July 25th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
187

i dont have a way to get pictures on here, wish i could though.
but i can tell you that everything is covered, but the space at the rear
where the seal is broken