Water in gas

Old March 15th 11, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tom Del Rosso[_2_]

Default Water in gas

ben91932 wrote:
> On Mar 14, 3:10 am, "Tom Del Rosso" > wrote:
> > My Plymouth seems to be out of gas, but it's above the E. Could
> > water get

> Did you try putting a couple of gallons of gas in it?

Yes and it started easily. Apparently 1/8 tank is the new E.

> Check the fuel pump?

No but that seems ok. They must have messed up the sensor when replacing
the pump a few years ago. I'll have that checked when it's on a lift next
time.

zero, and remove the last word.

Old March 16th 11, 07:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hal

On Mar 14, 10:33*pm, wrote:
> I have two lawn mowers, both of them have Briggs & Stratton engines.One
> of them is 3.75 HP, the other one is 6.5 HP.That damn ethanol crap has
> messed up my lawn mower that has the 6.5 HP engine.A buddy of mine has a
> similar lawn mower with a 6.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine.His lawn
> mower's engine has the same problem, ethanol.I have been driving since
> 1957, never even once have I ever had a problem with water in the gas.
> cuhulin

Those Briggs motors with the fuel tank BELOW the carb that have that
funky 'pump gasket' arrangement are not terribly reliable in my
experience. That design coupled with incompatible fuel that eats the
gaskets is enough to make one of those engines go limp in short order.

On mine....I wind up replacing the gaskets and the primer bulb just
about annually now because of that ethanol crap. Fortunately the
repair is relatively easy, and the parts are relatively cheap.....

Chris
Old March 16th 11, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Hal > wrote:

>On mine....I wind up replacing the gaskets and the primer bulb just
>about annually now because of that ethanol crap. Fortunately the
>repair is relatively easy, and the parts are relatively cheap.....

Given that ethanol fuel is pretty much universal now, why haven't the fine
people at B&S got with the program and changed their gasket materials yet?

Tecumseh and Honda did....
--scott

Old March 16th 11, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Hal > wrote:
> >
> >On mine....I wind up replacing the gaskets and the primer bulb just
> >about annually now because of that ethanol crap. Fortunately the
> >repair is relatively easy, and the parts are relatively cheap.....

> Given that ethanol fuel is pretty much universal now, why haven't the fine
> people at B&S got with the program and changed their gasket materials yet?

Because the gaskets B&S used in the last 70 years don't have any problem
with ethanol. Where I live, ethanol has been used since the late 70's
and there is no problem with the gaskets deteriorating due to ethanol.
The main problem with old pulsa-jet systems is going to be the pickup
screen plugging up due to ethanol dissolving crud in an old gas tank.

-jim

Old March 16th 11, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I will stay with Briggs & Stratton engines, Thank you very much.

On the B & S 6.5 HP engine, I reckon I should remove the carburetor and
take it apart and clean out the crud? I have never replaced a primer
bulb before.When I was trying to get that engine to start up and run, I
removed the air filter (a new one I bought at the Lowe's store last
year) and I squirted some carburetor cleaner in there.I pushed that
primer bulb dozens of times, but I didn't see it squirting any gas at
all into the carburetor.
cuhulin