Pontiac Solstice for 20k?

Old February 18th 05, 02:40 AM
Leon van Dommelen

>> Are you talking about the early 90s Mercury Capri? It lost every

>Miata
>> comparison badly, but was always meant as a cruiser rather than

>sports car.
>
>Not exactly true. In early 90's. one of the car magazines tested the
>turbo version of the Capri against the miata on a track. It kicked
>miata butt as far as lap times, but they still judged the miata more
>fun to drive.
>
>Later, someone pitted the hottest VTEC del Sol against a miata and ran
>it up Mt. Hamilton in California. The del SOl got to the top first and
>the driver had time to write the magazine article while waiting. Still
>judged the miata more fun to drive.
>
>But I'm off topic. The Solstice sure looks a lot better than the the
>miata. So does the Saturn Sky.

It is spelled "my rocker", not "topic".

Geez,
Leon

> I bet they will be fine cars, maybe even
>great cars, but I think the miata will still be fun to drive.

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old February 18th 05, 01:11 PM
Scott Streeter

pws > writes:

> Scott Streeter wrote:
>
> > Actually the Pontiac lineup doesn't look 1/2 bad these days. I think
> > they have more desirable cars that Mazda does right now.
> >

> No car looks good to me when it is broken down and being towed to a
> mechanic, which has been my experience on a far more regular basis
> with American cars than it has been with cars made in Japan. Maybe
> Pontiac has finally gotten their **** together, but I want to see many
> years of reliability out of their products before I would even think
> of buying one, no matter what it looked like.
>
> Pat

Well to be honest the last American car I had was around 86-87 so I
have no idea how "good" they are either. Although a new Vette
convertible would be nice

--
Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
Old February 18th 05, 04:45 PM
pws

Scott Streeter wrote:

> Well to be honest the last American car I had was around 86-87 so I
> have no idea how "good" they are either. Although a new Vette
> convertible would be nice

I agree with you here. The Vette seems fairly well received in this
group. I think that I know what the responses would be in the Corvette
newsgroup if one of their members was to talk of selling their Corvette
to buy a Miata (or 3).

Pat
Old February 18th 05, 07:11 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article >, l
says...

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000767031942/

>> Could this be trouble for sales of the new Miata? Or, are they
>> creating a market for a real sports car, once they get tired of
>> driving what looks to me like basically a Cobalt coupe with the roof
>> sawed off?

>curb weight: around 2900 lbs.
>It's no Miata.

Ouch! that's alot of dead weight it is carrying.
--------
Alex

Old February 24th 05, 01:16 AM
tooloud

Scott Streeter wrote:
> pws > writes:
>
>> tooloud wrote:
>>
>>> If Pontiac dealers can find buyers for Grand Ams and Grand Prixs,
>>> surely they'll be able to sell something resembling an actual
>>> *sports* car.
>>> I'll forgive them for the GTO...no one could sell *those*, though
>>> it's irrelevant, as I don't purchase domestic cars.
>>>

>> Where have you been?
>> As far as forgiveness, I can not forgive Pontiac for anything after
>> they produced the Aztec. That thing still hurts my eyes every time I
>> see one, and it's not like you can just flip a channel or look away
>> when you are driving near one. ;-)
>>
>> I also avoid cars made by American companies. My experience with
>> American cars is so bad that it will not be possible for me to live
>> long enough for them to regain my confidence. The Corvette is the
>> only possible exception, but I would still probably buy a Japanese or
>> German car if I had $50K to spend.
>>
>> Pat

> Actually the Pontiac lineup doesn't look 1/2 bad these days. I think
> they have more desirable cars that Mazda does right now.

Eh, I disagree. The 3 is a great little car and the 6 is better than the new
G6, which all the car mags are basically saying is an OK car, but nothing
great. The Grand Prix is nothing more than a boy-racer version of the
Impala. The Bonneville looks silly and drives poorly. Aztek? 'nuff
said...and they can't hardly *give* GTOs away.

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply...

Old February 24th 05, 03:36 AM
The Millers

"Scott Streeter" > wrote in message
> pws > writes:
>
>> Scott Streeter wrote:
>>
>> > Actually the Pontiac lineup doesn't look 1/2 bad these days. I think
>> > they have more desirable cars that Mazda does right now.
>> >

>> No car looks good to me when it is broken down and being towed to a
>> mechanic, which has been my experience on a far more regular basis
>> with American cars than it has been with cars made in Japan. Maybe
>> Pontiac has finally gotten their **** together, but I want to see many
>> years of reliability out of their products before I would even think
>> of buying one, no matter what it looked like.
>>
>> Pat

> Well to be honest the last American car I had was around 86-87 so I
> have no idea how "good" they are either. Although a new Vette
> convertible would be nice

The last Pontiac I had (and I really do mean "the last") was an '86.

PMD bought it back after arbitration. I swore off GM cars for 10 years
after. Since then, I've had a couple of Oldsmobiles and a couple of Chevy
trucks. Probably would buy another Chevy truck, can't buy another Olds
(wife's minivan is convinces me I wouldn't go there again, anyway), and will
never, ever, ever own another Ponti-crap!

Miata vs. Solstice/Sky -- no contest, I think.

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/