anyone know the temp sender specs on a VDO temp gauge?

Old March 5th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default anyone know the temp sender specs on a VDO temp gauge?

I've got a VDO 400F trans temp gauge in my truck, I have not seen it
come off the peg, I was thinking it should get over 200F as soon as the
engine is warmed up. Do the VDO gauges have high resistance at low
temps and low resistance at high temps as one would expect? (that is,
can I ground the sender wire and see what happens for a rough check?)
It is possible that I am not getting an accurate reading as I did not
braze a bung into the pan, I installed the sender in a pressure test
port on the trans so it might actually not be warming up properly.

Also, it appears that on my trans (Ford E4OD) there is a hole in the
middle of a pan to be drilled for a drain plug. Anyone know if there is
a piece of metal inside there that can simply be tapped for a pipe
thread or is there more involved than that?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 6th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pete C.

Nate Nagel wrote:

> I've got a VDO 400F trans temp gauge in my truck, I have not seen it
> come off the peg, I was thinking it should get over 200F as soon as the
> engine is warmed up. Do the VDO gauges have high resistance at low
> temps and low resistance at high temps as one would expect? (that is,
> can I ground the sender wire and see what happens for a rough check?)
> It is possible that I am not getting an accurate reading as I did not
> braze a bung into the pan, I installed the sender in a pressure test
> port on the trans so it might actually not be warming up properly.
>
> Also, it appears that on my trans (Ford E4OD) there is a hole in the
> middle of a pan to be drilled for a drain plug. Anyone know if there is
> a piece of metal inside there that can simply be tapped for a pipe
> thread or is there more involved than that?
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
> http://members.cox.net/njnagel

A quick search found http://www.egauges.com site which says:

"VDO Ohm range sender (10-180 Ohms)"

and

"US Ohm range sender (240-33 Ohms)"

Also found is:

http://usa.vdo.com/products_solution...-Documents.htm

Where you should be able to lookup the gauge model number and see what
sender it is intended for use with.
Old March 6th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Pete C. wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>>I've got a VDO 400F trans temp gauge in my truck, I have not seen it
>>come off the peg, I was thinking it should get over 200F as soon as the
>>engine is warmed up. Do the VDO gauges have high resistance at low
>>temps and low resistance at high temps as one would expect? (that is,
>>can I ground the sender wire and see what happens for a rough check?)
>>It is possible that I am not getting an accurate reading as I did not
>>braze a bung into the pan, I installed the sender in a pressure test
>>port on the trans so it might actually not be warming up properly.
>>
>>Also, it appears that on my trans (Ford E4OD) there is a hole in the
>>middle of a pan to be drilled for a drain plug. Anyone know if there is
>>a piece of metal inside there that can simply be tapped for a pipe
>>thread or is there more involved than that?
>>
>>nate
>>
>>--
>>replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
>>http://members.cox.net/njnagel

> A quick search found http://www.egauges.com site which says:
>
> "VDO Ohm range sender (10-180 Ohms)"
>
> and
>
> "US Ohm range sender (240-33 Ohms)"

I think those are for fuel level senders, the 240-33 sounds suspiciously
like what my memory banks recall as being a Stewart-Warner fuel sender spec

> Also found is:
>
> http://usa.vdo.com/products_solution...-Documents.htm
>
> Where you should be able to lookup the gauge model number and see what
> sender it is intended for use with.

I'd found that, and I already have the sender, but I still haven't been
able to determine the ohm range... oh well, I guess I can always just
tap it to ground and see what happens, *hopefully* nothing will blow up...

thanks for looking

nate

Old March 6th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pete C.

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?...&Series=Vision

> > Also found is:
> >
> > http://usa.vdo.com/products_solution...-Documents.htm
> >
> > Where you should be able to lookup the gauge model number and see what
> > sender it is intended for use with.

> I'd found that, and I already have the sender, but I still haven't been
> able to determine the ohm range... oh well, I guess I can always just
> tap it to ground and see what happens, *hopefully* nothing will blow up...

See above link. That is the ohm range listed for a VDO 400 degree trans
temp gauge.

> thanks for looking

NP.

Old March 6th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Pete C. wrote:
>
>> Nate Nagel wrote:
>>
>>> I've got a VDO 400F trans temp gauge in my truck, I have not seen it
>>> come off the peg, I was thinking it should get over 200F as soon as the
>>> engine is warmed up. Do the VDO gauges have high resistance at low
>>> temps and low resistance at high temps as one would expect? (that is,
>>> can I ground the sender wire and see what happens for a rough check?)
>>> It is possible that I am not getting an accurate reading as I did not
>>> braze a bung into the pan, I installed the sender in a pressure test
>>> port on the trans so it might actually not be warming up properly.
>>>
>>> Also, it appears that on my trans (Ford E4OD) there is a hole in the
>>> middle of a pan to be drilled for a drain plug. Anyone know if there is
>>> a piece of metal inside there that can simply be tapped for a pipe
>>> thread or is there more involved than that?
>>>
>>> nate
>>>
>>> --
>>> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
>>> http://members.cox.net/njnagel

>> A quick search found http://www.egauges.com site which says:
>>
>> "VDO Ohm range sender (10-180 Ohms)"
>>
>> and
>>
>> "US Ohm range sender (240-33 Ohms)"

> I think those are for fuel level senders, the 240-33 sounds suspiciously
> like what my memory banks recall as being a Stewart-Warner fuel sender spec
>

>> Also found is:
>> http://usa.vdo.com/products_solution...-Documents.htm
>>

>> Where you should be able to lookup the gauge model number and see what
>> sender it is intended for use with.

> I'd found that, and I already have the sender, but I still haven't been
> able to determine the ohm range... oh well, I guess I can always just
> tap it to ground and see what happens, *hopefully* nothing will blow up...
>
> thanks for looking
>
> nate

hey, thanks again... your first link led me to this:

http://www.egauges.com/pdf/vdo/0-515-012-178.pdf

which answered my question. now I have something to do tomorrow after
work!

nate

Old March 6th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pete C.

Also:

http://usa.vdo.com/NR/rdonlyres/1FF1...tanceChart.pdf
Old March 6th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> I've got a VDO 400F trans temp gauge in my truck, I have not seen it come
> off the peg, I was thinking it should get over 200F as soon as the engine is
> warmed up. Do the VDO gauges have high resistance at low temps and low
> resistance at high temps as one would expect? (that is, can I ground the
> sender wire and see what happens for a rough check?) It is possible that I
> am not getting an accurate reading as I did not braze a bung into the pan, I
> installed the sender in a pressure test port on the trans so it might
> actually not be warming up properly.

I don't believe there is any fluid flow in a test port, that's why you don't
get a reading. Here are some links to the VDO website that show the info for
testing your gauge and sending unit.

http://www.sso-usa.com/performance/T...tanceChart.pdf

http://www.sso-usa.com/performance/T...ingGuide. pdf

http://www.sso-usa.com/performance/T...ingGu ide.pdf

> Also, it appears that on my trans (Ford E4OD) there is a hole in the middle
> of a pan to be drilled for a drain plug. Anyone know if there is a piece of
> metal inside there that can simply be tapped for a pipe thread or is there
> more involved than that?

I have never seen a pan that wasn't just thin sheet metal, never saw one
with a chunk of metal inside that could be drilled and tapped.

> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
> http://members.cox.net/njnagel

undocumented oil temp sender in 88 YJ Simon Juncal Jeep 4 June 13th 06 03:36 AM
Cherokee water temp sender Danny Jeep 11 April 15th 06 06:32 PM
Oil temp gauge/sender question Karls VW air cooled 8 April 14th 06 01:33 AM
98' Jetta fuel quantity gauge and coolant temp gauge problem. Paynter7378 VW water cooled 1 March 7th 05 01:59 PM
oil temp sender Denise VW air cooled 0 November 14th 04 10:22 PM