My 1989 318i has passed 250 000 miles

Old December 17th 04, 11:37 PM
Steve Robinson

Default My 1989 318i has passed 250 000 miles

I've owned the car from new and done all the servicing myself since around
100 000 miles (which is very easy thanks to those clever BMW designers!)

Just thought I'd share that but also I'm now I'm looking for another
unmodified E30 in the UK (preferably NW England) with less than 100K miles
if anyone has one for sale...

Steve.

Old December 17th 04, 11:46 PM
John Burns

> I've owned the car from new and done all the servicing myself since around
> 100 000 miles (which is very easy thanks to those clever BMW designers!)
>
> Just thought I'd share that but also I'm now I'm looking for another
> unmodified E30 in the UK (preferably NW England) with less than 100K miles
> if anyone has one for sale...

I'm at 180k in my 89 318iS, will keep her until at least 200k although
the salt up in Scotland is beginning to get to the bodywork.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old December 18th 04, 01:00 AM
JB

"Steve Robinson" > wrote in
message ...
> I've owned the car from new and done all the servicing myself since around
> 100 000 miles (which is very easy thanks to those clever BMW designers!)
>
> Just thought I'd share that but also I'm now I'm looking for another
> unmodified E30 in the UK (preferably NW England) with less than 100K miles
> if anyone has one for sale...

That's just running in :<)
My E34 1993 520iT has just passed 341,000 this week and it still sounds and
drives *very* nicely.
Maintain them properly and the older BMWs just seem to go on and on. A
friend now has my old E23 728iSE which now has over 720,000miles on it!
Keep up the good work and it'll last ages yet.

JB

Old December 18th 04, 05:29 PM
Bob

Steve Robinson wrote:
> I've owned the car from new and done all the servicing myself since around
> 100 000 miles (which is very easy thanks to those clever BMW designers!)
>
> Just thought I'd share that but also I'm now I'm looking for another
> unmodified E30 in the UK (preferably NW England) with less than 100K miles
> if anyone has one for sale...
>
> Steve.

My E28 has 192,000 miles and I just changed the oil. It had gone almost
7,000 miles since the last change and the oil level was only about a
half quart below full. The old oil was not too dirty.

I am wondering why an engine can go so far when in the old days I was
lucky to get 65,000 miles before oil consumption increased to the
overhaul point.

I have the same thing with the spark plugs. I change at 10,000 miles
and the old plugs look like new.