Windshield chip too small to repair?

Old March 2nd 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

Default Windshield chip too small to repair?

wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 07:39:12 -0600, "HLS" > wrote:
>
>> "John S." > wrote in message
>>
>>> The damage is there and it is "proven". I've had completely different
>>> reactions from companies like State Farm, Allstate, etc. I've found
>>> that all you have to do is ask and be politely persistent at times.

>> Perhaps, John. If this peck is small, I would be surprised if an insurance
>> company will give any satisfaction.
>>
>> If the OP tries it and is successful, maybe he will post his experience for
>> us.

Must be a crappy repair outfit. A decent shop would look at it and if it
is too small to repair BUT was not going to be enough to compromise the
glass they would use a diamond bit to enlarge it and taper it so they
could fill it.

--
Steve W.
Old March 3rd 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Steve W." > wrote in message news:fqfd47

> Must be a crappy repair outfit. A decent shop would look at it and if it
> is too small to repair BUT was not going to be enough to compromise the
> glass they would use a diamond bit to enlarge it and taper it so they
> could fill it.
>
> --
> Steve W.

Yeah, that is what I thought too.
A simple peck is not worth the effort. We dont really know the seriousness
of this thing..

Old March 5th 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
z[_1_]

On Mar 2, 2:53*pm, wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 07:39:12 -0600, "HLS" > wrote:
>
> >"John S." > wrote in message

> >>The damage is there and it is "proven". *I've had completely different
> >>reactions from companies like State Farm, Allstate, etc. *I've found
> >>that all you have to do is ask and be politely persistent at times.

> >Perhaps, John. *If this peck is small, I would be surprised if an insurance
> >company will give any satisfaction.

> >If the OP tries it and is successful, maybe he will post his experience for
> >us.

> Insurance company reactions may vary from state to state -- I know
> Florida was concerned enough about windshield safety that they made
> the inscos drop the deductible from windshield replacement.
>
> However, I would try a $10 repair kit from Wally or auto parts first.
> Be easier than taking it in for a replacement.
>
> Pete

just cover it with one of those half a hockey puck with the broken
window decal things.
Old March 5th 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Timur Tabi

On Mar 1, 3:26 pm, "John S." > wrote:

> Call your insurance company and tell them that you want the glass
> replaced with factory glass because your are very concerned about
> safety and feel that the glass is compromised.

That won't work, for two reasons

1) I'd be lying. I'm not concerned about my safety and I don't think
the glass is compromised. I'm just annoyed by chip.

2) The repair guy came out because I *did* call the insurance
company. Part of my insurance coverage includes free at-home
windshield chip repair.
Old March 5th 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Timur Tabi

On Mar 1, 2:59 pm, Steve B. > wrote:

> Call the insurance company back and tell them they weren't able to fix
> it so the windshield needs to be replaced. If te chip is in you line
> of vision they shouldn't have any problem with that.

If the windshield is replaced, then my deductible comes into play,
which means I'll pay hundreds of dollars. And since they already sent
someone out to examine the windshield, and he said it couldn't be
repaired, then they would get suspicious. Even if they don't, I risk
have my rates increased because I filed a claim.

Anyone have any ideas that don't involve my insurance company?
Old March 5th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Timur Tabi

On Mar 2, 5:27 pm, "Steve W." > wrote:

> Must be a crappy repair outfit. A decent shop would look at it and if it
> is too small to repair BUT was not going to be enough to compromise the
> glass they would use a diamond bit to enlarge it and taper it so they
> could fill it.

It was an on-site repair. So if I bring it in to a shop, they might
have equipment there that can do something?

Old March 6th 08, 05:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

Timur Tabi wrote:
> On Mar 2, 5:27 pm, "Steve W." > wrote:
>
>> Must be a crappy repair outfit. A decent shop would look at it and if it
>> is too small to repair BUT was not going to be enough to compromise the
>> glass they would use a diamond bit to enlarge it and taper it so they
>> could fill it.

> It was an on-site repair. So if I bring it in to a shop, they might
> have equipment there that can do something?

They "should". But it depends on the shop.

Steve W.
Old March 6th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Timur Tabi" > wrote in message
> On Mar 2, 5:27 pm, "Steve W." > wrote:
>
>> Must be a crappy repair outfit. A decent shop would look at it and if it
>> is too small to repair BUT was not going to be enough to compromise the
>> glass they would use a diamond bit to enlarge it and taper it so they
>> could fill it.

> It was an on-site repair. So if I bring it in to a shop, they might
> have equipment there that can do something?

Never hurts to get a second opinion. Otherwise, risk the price of a bag of
popcorn and a Coke - buy a DIY glass kit at a parts house, and see what you
can accomplish.

Would you hesitate to buy a used Accord w/a windshield chip? Jeannie Honda 10 March 25th 06 12:49 AM
Does rock chip repair prevent windshield crack propagation? mike General 2 May 4th 05 05:44 PM
Does windshield rock chip repair prevent crack propagation? mike Technology 18 March 14th 05 05:09 AM
rock chip repair? TF Corvette 1 February 27th 05 09:10 PM
one more - paint chip repair japhar81 Ford Mustang 17 February 10th 05 08:38 PM