Need name of rear suspension part

Old February 24th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
DJW

Default Need name of rear suspension part

I have a 96 Chevrolet Lumina auto and would like to know what is the
name of the arm on each side of the rear suspension that run from the
wheel area up to the body that can move up and down as the wheel does?
This arm (?) runs parallel with the side of the body not from right to
left as in an axle seems to keep the rear wheel from moving back or
forward relative to the body's wheel well keeps it inline. Mine broke
on a pothole and will it be expensive to fix and will I then need a
four-wheel alignment?
Old February 24th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"DJW" > wrote in message
>I have a 96 Chevrolet Lumina auto and would like to know what is the
> name of the arm on each side of the rear suspension that run from the
> wheel area up to the body that can move up and down as the wheel does?
> This arm (?) runs parallel with the side of the body not from right to
> left as in an axle seems to keep the rear wheel from moving back or
> forward relative to the body's wheel well keeps it inline. Mine broke
> on a pothole and will it be expensive to fix and will I then need a
> four-wheel alignment?

Trailing link, probably

Old February 24th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
DJW

On Feb 24, 11:02 am, "HLS" > wrote:
> "DJW" > wrote in message

> >I have a 96 Chevrolet Lumina auto and would like to know what is the
> > name of the arm on each side of the rear suspension that run from the
> > wheel area up to the body that can move up and down as the wheel does?
> > This arm (?) runs parallel with the side of the body not from right to
> > left as in an axle seems to keep the rear wheel from moving back or
> > forward relative to the body's wheel well keeps it inline. Mine broke
> > on a pothole and will it be expensive to fix and will I then need a
> > four-wheel alignment?

> Trailing link, probably

Thanks I bet that is it. I broke the left one on a pothole. If I
replace it will I need to have to have it aligned and can a rear just
be aligned or will all four wheels need to be done. I don't have any
unusual tire wear
Old February 25th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"DJW" > wrote in message
> On Feb 24, 11:02 am, "HLS" > wrote:
>> "DJW" > wrote in message

>> >I have a 96 Chevrolet Lumina auto and would like to know what is the
>> > name of the arm on each side of the rear suspension that run from the
>> > wheel area up to the body that can move up and down as the wheel does?
>> > This arm (?) runs parallel with the side of the body not from right to
>> > left as in an axle seems to keep the rear wheel from moving back or
>> > forward relative to the body's wheel well keeps it inline. Mine broke
>> > on a pothole and will it be expensive to fix and will I then need a
>> > four-wheel alignment?

>> Trailing link, probably

> Thanks I bet that is it. I broke the left one on a pothole. If I
> replace it will I need to have to have it aligned and can a rear just
> be aligned or will all four wheels need to be done. I don't have any
> unusual tire wear

No need to realign just to replace the trailing link. Somewhere down the
road, you should check 4 wheel alignment, but simply changing the link is
not the deciding factor.

Old February 25th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
golden oldie

On Feb 24, 5:09*pm, "HLS" > wrote:
> "DJW" > wrote in message

> >> Trailing link, probably

> > Thanks I bet that is it. I broke the left one on a pothole. If I
> > replace it will I need to have to have it aligned and can a rear just
> > be aligned or will all four wheels need to be done. I don't have any
> > unusual tire wear

> No need to realign just to replace the trailing link. *Somewhere down the
> road, you should check 4 wheel alignment, but simply changing the link is
> not the deciding factor.- Hide quoted text -

If you hit a hole hard enough to break a suspension part might I
suggest sow down and while you are fixing it take a long look at the
rest of the parts.
Old February 25th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"golden oldie" > wrote in message

If you hit a hole hard enough to break a suspension part might I
suggest sow down and while you are fixing it take a long look at the
rest of the parts.

***********
I had one of the bend badly on a Buick Regal, but no other damage was seen.
These things are fairly strong from a tension aspect but are not that hard
to bend
so maybe he is lucky. Replacement of the bent trailing link was all that
needed to
be done, but your caution to the OP is very good advice.

Old February 25th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
DJW

On Feb 25, 8:38 am, "HLS" > wrote:
> "golden oldie" > wrote in message

> If you hit a hole hard enough to break a suspension part might I
> suggest sow down and while you are fixing it take a long look at the
> rest of the parts.
>
> ***********
> I had one of the bend badly on a Buick Regal, but no other damage was seen.
> These things are fairly strong from a tension aspect but are not that hard
> to bend
> so maybe he is lucky. Replacement of the bent trailing link was all that
> needed to
> be done, but your caution to the OP is very good advice.

I did not mension that I am in Wisconsin and there is a lot of salt
used and this car is very rusty. That arm is just stamped metal and
mostlly failed due to rust. The pot hole was the straw that broke the
camels back. But of course I will give the rest a good look and may
replace the right side one too
Old February 25th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"DJW" > wrote in message news:d90b6046-b4f1-472a-bb14-
> I did not mension that I am in Wisconsin and there is a lot of salt
> used and this car is very rusty. That arm is just stamped metal and
> mostlly failed due to rust. The pot hole was the straw that broke the
> camels back. But of course I will give the rest a good look and may
> replace the right side one too

I think that is a wise move. If you have a decent junkyard nearby, you
should be able to find one or more of these links to replace yours.
Old February 25th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

When the roads, bridges, overpasses around get icey, they use sand.A
month or two ago, I read an article somewhere on the internet that
somebody is experimenting with using beet juice (I think the article
said beet juice) for melting ice.
cuhulin

Old February 26th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

> wrote in message
> When the roads, bridges, overpasses around get icey, they use sand.A
> month or two ago, I read an article somewhere on the internet that
> somebody is experimenting with using beet juice (I think the article
> said beet juice) for melting ice.
> cuhulin

Could be, cuhulin.. Beet juice contains sugars and other things which dont
freeze
as easily as pure water. It probably is not extremely efficient, but may be
cost
effective.

Rear suspension....HELP! Bill Spiliotopoulos VW air cooled 1 July 8th 07 01:30 PM
Rear suspension E36 steve14775 BMW 0 May 13th 06 04:37 PM
Rear suspension is off! TeGGeR® Honda 15 July 24th 05 03:55 AM
rear suspension noise DannyB20 Saturn 6 April 29th 05 05:35 PM
Vue rear suspension, 02 irl rules Saturn 0 April 23rd 05 04:50 PM