'87 water leak question

Old January 23rd 05, 06:37 PM
Mark C.

Default '87 water leak question

Due to a few projects inside the garage, I had to park my '87 GT in the
driveway. When it rains the passenger rear floor gets very damp and to a
lesser extent the passenger front. It has a sunroof that I recently checked
for leaks and it's good to go as far as the seals are concerned. I know you
guys aren't mind readers but is there a common place I should check for
leaks in fox mustangs? Perhaps the cowls are prone to leak and/or maybe the
sunroof drain lower hose needs attention, the upper hoses don't leak. any
suggestions on where to look?

--
Mark C.

Old January 24th 05, 12:19 AM
SVTKate

One of the best ways I know to test it is to put someone inside the car and
hit it with a high pressure spray.
Even a hose with a nozzle on it.
YOu may have to run the water wahile for the leak to get bad enough to start
dripping in the right place, but if it's from above you should be able to
find it.

Or even drive it through one of those touchless car washes. Man, they blow
water ALL OVER the inside of my car. So, I stopped using them.

Kate
98 Cobra Drop Top

Old January 24th 05, 12:32 AM
Mr Bones

"Mark C." > wrote in message
> Due to a few projects inside the garage, I had to park my '87 GT in the
> driveway. When it rains the passenger rear floor gets very damp and to a
> lesser extent the passenger front. It has a sunroof that I recently

checked
> for leaks and it's good to go as far as the seals are concerned. I know

you
> guys aren't mind readers but is there a common place I should check for
> leaks in fox mustangs? Perhaps the cowls are prone to leak and/or maybe

the
> sunroof drain lower hose needs attention, the upper hoses don't leak. any
> suggestions on where to look?

I had a similar problem with my '86 LX. The dew wipes were no longer
sealing against the window so water ran off the window and into the inside
of the door. The drain holes at the bottom of the door were plugged with
dirt and crud so the bottom of the door filled up and spilled over into the
passenger area. You may be able to unplug the drain holes by sticking a
screwdriver up through them or you may need to remove the door panel to get
to whatever is plugging them. does your door make sloshing noises when you
open it?

Mr. Bones
'86 LX 3.8

Old January 24th 05, 01:29 AM
Mark C.

No, Mr. Bones, My doors don't slosh. But your on the right track. I'll
check the drains. Kate, I'll have to do a leak check like you say but I
don't think I have any drips from above.

--
Mark C. Jack of all trades, master of none. (well, maybe a couple)

Old January 24th 05, 01:41 AM
Mark C.

Mr. Bones, (Hehe, makes me giggle) I checked the door drains and they're
clean as a whistle.

Old January 24th 05, 03:52 AM
Mark C.

I did the old leak check of the sunroof drains, they were good to go. Poured
a cup of water into the cowl and what do you know? Leak city. Water was
draining from the driver side down underneath the car (like it should) but
the pax. side was dry. I took a look in the cabin and there's a small puddle
forming in the front right corner of the floor, under the dash. The car was
always parked in the driveway so the water would migrate to the back forming
a very damp spot. Fortunately there's no corrosion on the floor. I'm in the
process of replacing the carpet for other reasons. I'm thinking the cowl
drain on the pax. side is clogged or theres a hole or bad seal on the inside
of the cowl. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Old January 24th 05, 04:22 AM
SVTKate

Ya done good kid

Kate

Old January 24th 05, 04:33 AM
Mark C.

Thank's, How old are you?

--
Mark C. Jack of all trades, master of none. (well, maybe a couple)

ink.net...

Old January 24th 05, 04:58 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Mark C. opined in :

> Thank's, How old are you?

Where's that Eddy Murphy chuckle sound file!!

Old January 24th 05, 06:01 PM
Mark C.

I forgot to add. When I was pulling the carpet, I noticed a little sprout of
a weed or something growing in a corner. Perfect conditions for it. Hehe.