156 - Any accessory power available....

Old December 26th 07, 09:48 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Alan Rogers

Default 156 - Any accessory power available....

....in the radio area.

Last time I had a look at replacing the radio I couldn't find any convenient
accessory 12v power. Seems to me there's only ignition or permanent 12v.
Permanent is obviously needed to retain the memory but ideally I'd like
accessory power for the radio.

At present it uses ignition 12v, which is ok...mostly, but if I'm working on
the car, or waiting in it for any reason (usually waiting for the missus
somewhere) I don't want to be leaving the ignition on to listen to the
radio.

It used to have a permanent 12v which was a nuicance having to turn the
radio off every time I got out of the car, so last time I changed the radio
I went looking for accessory power but could only find ignition back there.

So, is there accessory 12v nearby, or do I have to get the steering wheel
cowel off and splice in to something around the ignition switch?

Cheers

Alan

Old December 26th 07, 10:13 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Alan Rogers wrote:
> ...in the radio area.
>
> Last time I had a look at replacing the radio I couldn't find any convenient
> accessory 12v power. Seems to me there's only ignition or permanent 12v.
> Permanent is obviously needed to retain the memory but ideally I'd like
> accessory power for the radio.
>
> At present it uses ignition 12v, which is ok...mostly, but if I'm working on
> the car, or waiting in it for any reason (usually waiting for the missus
> somewhere) I don't want to be leaving the ignition on to listen to the
> radio.
>
> It used to have a permanent 12v which was a nuicance having to turn the
> radio off every time I got out of the car, so last time I changed the radio
> I went looking for accessory power but could only find ignition back there.
>
> So, is there accessory 12v nearby, or do I have to get the steering wheel
> cowel off and splice in to something around the ignition switch?

IIRC there are red and orange leads in the ISO plug. One is permanent
and one is an un-used (at least on the S1 Alfa Stereo) switched live.
Red is I *think* switched, Orange permanent. Failing that I connected
to a switched live behind the fuse cover for some bits.

HTH

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 145 2.0 Cloverleaf 156 V6 2.5 S2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old December 26th 07, 12:06 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Alan Rogers

>> So, is there accessory 12v nearby, or do I have to get the steering wheel
>> cowel off and splice in to something around the ignition switch?

> IIRC there are red and orange leads in the ISO plug. One is permanent and
> one is an un-used (at least on the S1 Alfa Stereo) switched live. Red is
> I *think* switched, Orange permanent. Failing that I connected to a
> switched live behind the fuse cover for some bits.

Hmmm, I now remember the problem I had last time, there doesn't appear to be
an 'accessory' position on the ignition. There's...

Park
Stop
MAR
AVV

...bugger, ah well, back to having to turn the radio on/off manually

Thanks for the reply, enjoy what's left of the holidays.

Heard a good un the other day. The makers of Tampax tamons have replaced
the string with a bit of tinsel.... just for the Christmas period.

Aye thang yow

Alan

Old December 26th 07, 12:33 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Alan Rogers wrote:
>>> So, is there accessory 12v nearby, or do I have to get the steering wheel
>>> cowel off and splice in to something around the ignition switch?

>> IIRC there are red and orange leads in the ISO plug. One is permanent and
>> one is an un-used (at least on the S1 Alfa Stereo) switched live. Red is
>> I *think* switched, Orange permanent. Failing that I connected to a
>> switched live behind the fuse cover for some bits.
>>

> Hmmm, I now remember the problem I had last time, there doesn't appear to be
> an 'accessory' position on the ignition. There's...
>
> Park
> Stop
> MAR
> AVV
>
> ..bugger, ah well, back to having to turn the radio on/off manually

Mine comes on at MAR and goes off at stop.
It's just a wiring issue.

<snip>

Old December 27th 07, 10:19 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Alan Rogers

> Mine comes on at MAR and goes off at stop.
> It's just a wiring issue.

Yeah, but isn't your ignition on in the MAR position? Mine is. Don't want
to be leaving it like that for any length of time.

Alan

Old December 27th 07, 12:40 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Alan Rogers wrote:
>> Mine comes on at MAR and goes off at stop.
>> It's just a wiring issue.
>>

> Yeah, but isn't your ignition on in the MAR position?

Yes
> Mine is. Don't want
> to be leaving it like that for any length of time.

Why?

Old December 27th 07, 02:03 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

Catman > wrote:

> Alan Rogers wrote:
> >> Mine comes on at MAR and goes off at stop.
> >> It's just a wiring issue.
> >>

> > Yeah, but isn't your ignition on in the MAR position?

> Yes
> > Mine is. Don't want
> > to be leaving it like that for any length of time.

> Why?

Probably a hangover from the days of carburettors and electro-mechanical
injection systems, where you could burn out the coil by leaving it
energised like that, without firing.

On an ECU controlled car, it's not a problem.
Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #
Old December 28th 07, 08:28 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Alan Rogers

>> > Yeah, but isn't your ignition on in the MAR position?
>>
>> Yes
>> > Mine is. Don't want
>> > to be leaving it like that for any length of time.

>> Why?

> Probably a hangover from the days of carburettors and electro-mechanical
> injection systems, where you could burn out the coil by leaving it
> energised like that, without firing.
>
> On an ECU controlled car, it's not a problem.

Er...yes, that's what was on my mind...

Didn't know about the advent of ECU systems resolving the issue

Ta

Alan

Old December 29th 07, 09:35 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Pete[_1_]

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 08:28:50 -0000, "Alan Rogers"

>>> Yes
>>>
>>> Why?

>> Probably a hangover from the days of carburettors and electro-mechanical
>> injection systems, where you could burn out the coil by leaving it
>> energised like that, without firing.
>>
>> On an ECU controlled car, it's not a problem.

>Er...yes, that's what was on my mind...
>
>Didn't know about the advent of ECU systems resolving the issue
>
>Ta
>
>Alan

Ah ha! All becomes clear. What a jolly useful place a.a.a-r is.
Rounding out the year with another problem solved and helpful tip for
the Google searchers of the future.

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso

Accessory Belts Greg[_5_] Honda 3 October 9th 07 06:20 PM
07 Accord-- What is this accessory? Kansas Bob Honda 4 June 6th 07 07:31 PM
unusual accessory MajBach Honda 4 June 6th 06 04:06 PM
Need help with my '01 Accord Accessory Power Socket Dale Brisket Honda 4 October 24th 05 06:41 AM
Need to leave power to cig lighter without key on or in accessory position Tony H Dodge 12 June 22nd 04 04:55 PM