Question on protocol

Old November 24th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Default Question on protocol

Hey guys, I've had a great time with the "Where are you and your Miata"
thread. I'd like to post the results. I've entered them into an excel
spreadsheet. What's the best way? I can attach the spreadsheet but not
everybody has excel. I can print it, scan it and send it as a .jpg
attachment. As a black and white document scan I think it'd be a pretty
small file. Are either of these methods acceptable?

Input please.

PS, if you haven't added you and your car to my info, do it now! The thread
is just down a bit on the list. Date started was 11-13-07.

Thanks again,
Chris
--
99BBB

Old November 25th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen[_2_]

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 17:05:07 -0600, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> Hey guys, I've had a great time with the "Where are you and your Miata"
> thread. I'd like to post the results. I've entered them into an excel
> spreadsheet. What's the best way? I can attach the spreadsheet but not
> everybody has excel. I can print it, scan it and send it as a .jpg
> attachment. As a black and white document scan I think it'd be a pretty
> small file. Are either of these methods acceptable?

This MicroSoftbrain Excel does not output in ASCII? And you paid money
for that?

If you to send it to me, I will probably be able to load it into
*free* (still stupid) OpenOffice, which can at least export them into
CSV ASCII. (As well as html, if you want me to put them as a web page
on my site. At least it is less bad as jpg or xls, but it will not
archive properly.)

Leon

--
Leon Bess Bozo .)
Old November 25th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Dana Myers

Leon van Dommelen wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 17:05:07 -0600, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>
>> Hey guys, I've had a great time with the "Where are you and your Miata"
>> thread. I'd like to post the results. I've entered them into an excel
>> spreadsheet. What's the best way? I can attach the spreadsheet but not
>> everybody has excel. I can print it, scan it and send it as a .jpg
>> attachment. As a black and white document scan I think it'd be a pretty
>> small file. Are either of these methods acceptable?

> This MicroSoftbrain Excel does not output in ASCII? And you paid money
> for that?
>
> If you to send it to me, I will probably be able to load it into
> *free* (still stupid) OpenOffice, which can at least export them into
> CSV ASCII. (As well as html, if you want me to put them as a web page
> on my site. At least it is less bad as jpg or xls, but it will not
> archive properly.)

I'm sure Excel will export into CSV, and, of course, OpenOffice
(StarOffice) will.

The really cool trick would be to create a GoogleEarth overlay
(a .kml file) from the location data. It could probably be
mechanized pretty readily with a little homework (Chris, email
me offline if you're interested in giving it a try).

Dana
Old November 25th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 17:05:07 -0600, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>
>> Hey guys, I've had a great time with the "Where are you and your Miata"
>> thread. I'd like to post the results. I've entered them into an excel
>> spreadsheet. What's the best way? I can attach the spreadsheet but not
>> everybody has excel. I can print it, scan it and send it as a .jpg
>> attachment. As a black and white document scan I think it'd be a pretty
>> small file. Are either of these methods acceptable?

> This MicroSoftbrain Excel does not output in ASCII? And you paid money
> for that?
>
> If you to send it to me, I will probably be able to load it into
> *free* (still stupid) OpenOffice, which can at least export them into
> CSV ASCII. (As well as html, if you want me to put them as a web page
> on my site. At least it is less bad as jpg or xls, but it will not
> archive properly.)
>
> Leon
> \

What one earth makes you think Excel cant output text files (it can)?

Old November 25th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen[_2_]

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:55:46 -0600, pws wrote:

> Leon van Dommelen wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 17:05:07 -0600, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>>
>>> Hey guys, I've had a great time with the "Where are you and your
>>> Miata" thread. I'd like to post the results. I've entered them into an
>>> excel spreadsheet. What's the best way? I can attach the spreadsheet
>>> but not everybody has excel. I can print it, scan it and send it as a
>>> .jpg attachment. As a black and white document scan I think it'd be a
>>> pretty small file. Are either of these methods acceptable?

>> This MicroSoftbrain Excel does not output in ASCII? And you paid money
>> for that?
>>
>> If you to send it to me, I will probably be able to load it into *free*
>> (still stupid) OpenOffice, which can at least export them into CSV
>> ASCII. (As well as html, if you want me to put them as a web page on
>> my site. At least it is less bad as jpg or xls, but it will not
>> archive properly.)
>>
>> Leon

> Leon, I have used Excel for many years and have never once needed to
> export the files into ASCII. I have done it with MS Word because some
> places still want resumes sent in that format. I was vaguely aware that
> Excel would export in ASCII, but perhaps Chris was not? We are not all
> computer geeks here. That is probably why he was asking for input.

Might be. In OpenOffice, you just select Save-As from the menu and select
the CSV ASCII format appropriate for non-binary groups from the list.
As far as I know, OpenOffice is just some clone of the MicroSoftbrain
stuff.

> As far as MicroSoftbrain, I think that a company that has absolutely
> dominated the PC operating system market for most of my adult life
> probably had some clever thinking as opposed to soft thinking going on
> somewhere along the line.

I do not. Operating systems were an unstable equilibrium, since so
many people had only the resources to write for the biggest OS, and
others wrote for the biggest OS first. People buy the OS that runs
the software that they want to use. This expands the market share of
the biggest OS even more, reducing the incentive to write for other OS
even more, creating an exponential run-away process until all the people,
that are at least willing to consider the OS, run it. You may note
that many big software suppliers do not even bother to port their stuff
to apple or unix.

The reason that MicroSoftbrain ended up with the chips was not because MS
DOS was particularly good, it was poor, but because IBM stupidly gave them
the initial advantage through their name and market share. Of course,
after MicroSoftbrain had the monopoly on the OS, they used it to muscle
in on related areas. But that does not require intelligence, just lack of
scruples.

Leon

--
Leon Bess Bozo .)
Old November 25th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
nosfatsug

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:55:46 -0600, pws wrote:
>
>> Leon van Dommelen wrote:
>>> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 17:05:07 -0600, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>>>

> Might be. In OpenOffice, you just select Save-As from the menu and select
> the CSV ASCII format appropriate for non-binary groups from the list.
> As far as I know, OpenOffice is just some clone of the MicroSoftbrain
> stuff.

Same is true for MS Excel. Just click Save-As and you get to choose from a
long list of file formats. See list below.

Gus

What file format do you want to save in?
Excel
Microsoft Excel 97-2000 & 5.0/95 Workbook

What happens when you open and save an Excel 2000 workbook in Excel 97?

Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 Workbook

Microsoft Excel 4.0 Workbook

Microsoft Excel 4.0 Worksheet

Microsoft Excel 3.0 Worksheet

Microsoft Excel 2.x Worksheet

Lotus
Lotus 1-2-3 Release 4 (WK4)

Lotus 1-2-3 Release 3 (WK3)

Lotus 1-2-3 Release 3 (WK3, FM3)

Lotus 1-2-3 Release 2.x (WK1)

Lotus 1-2-3 Release 2.x (WK1, FMT)

Lotus 1-2-3 Release 2.x (WK1, ALL)

Lotus 1-2-3 Release 1.x (WKS)

Other
HTML (HyperText Markup Language)

Quattro Pro for MS-DOS (WQ1)

dBASE file formats (DBF 2, DBF 3, DBF 4)

SYLK (Symbolic Link)

DIF (Data Interchange Format)

CSV (Comma delimited) (*.csv)

Text (Tab delimited) (*.txt)

Text (Unicode)

Formatted Text (Space delimited)

Template

Old November 25th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> They won the fight, regardless of tactics. We don't have to like it, but
> it is the truth, the numbers don't lie.

We also don't have to put it on our computers. I believe Leon uses some
type of Unix, as do I. OpenOffice is great--I use a Mac-specific variant
called NeoOffice. (There's even a version for Windows, so you too can
read/write Office documents without the malware exposure.)

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old November 26th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

">
> Leon, I have used Excel for many years and have never once needed to
> export the files into ASCII. I have done it with MS Word because some
> places still want resumes sent in that format.
> I was vaguely aware that Excel would export in ASCII, but perhaps Chris
> was not? We are not all computer geeks here. That is probably why he was
> asking for input.
>

> Pat

You are correct on this one. I know enough to be considered a 'computer guy'
in some circles (insert rude comment here please ;-) but, in this group, I
have to plead ignorance quite often when it comes to the computer.

Thanks so far guys, I know we've got plenty of expertise here. Several have
already offered.

Did ya'all see Australia and Ireland chimed in?

Cool stuff,
Chris
99BBB

Old November 26th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Default Inevitable computer arguments (was: Question on protocol) NMC

> I know someone who is about as anti-Microsoft as possible and uses Linux
> on one machine, but interestingly enough, she has Windows XP loaded on
> another computer and has used Windows since the early days....
>
> Pat

Makes sense, avoid them when you can and use them when you can't avoid them.

Chris
99BBB

Old November 26th 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
barry

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:29:33 -0600, pws >
wrote:

>Lanny Chambers wrote:
>
>> We also don't have to put it on our computers. I believe Leon uses some
>> type of Unix, as do I. OpenOffice is great--I use a Mac-specific variant
>> called NeoOffice. (There's even a version for Windows, so you too can
>> read/write Office documents without the malware exposure.)

>Of course not. I have used Macs before, and have dabbled with Linux.
>
>When I started to see that almost every single job I considered required
>Windows experience but almost none of them cared if I knew any other
>operating system, including Mac, I got the hint.
>
>Now Windows 95/98/SE/2000/XP & Vista are very familiar to me. Windows 98
>or up is what almost everyone I know who owns a computer is using.
>Since I get paid to help set up and maintain a lot of these systems, I
>am very glad to be familiar with Windows rather than a less popular
>operating system.
>
>I know someone who is about as anti-Microsoft as possible and uses Linux
>on one machine, but interestingly enough, she has Windows XP loaded on
>another computer and has used Windows since the early days....
>
>Pat

i would dump microsoft in a second but some of the software i need to
do what i do only runs on microsoft platforms.

--------
"any words spelled incorrectly are probably typing errors"