46/47 ? Willy's

Old July 3rd 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike chambers

Default 46/47 ? Willy's

My Dad's old flat fender wich is a 46 or a 47 has a bad cam or rod
that is makeing noise. The proublem is that it's not the original
engine. The hood was bent up in the middle for the carb. Just need to
find out if it's a F head or an Lhead . And where can one get new parts
for a rebuild.
Thanks.

Later Mike

Old July 3rd 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Mike chambers wrote:
> My Dad's old flat fender wich is a 46 or a 47 has a bad cam or rod
> that is makeing noise. The proublem is that it's not the original
> engine. The hood was bent up in the middle for the carb. Just need to
> find out if it's a F head or an Lhead . And where can one get new parts
> for a rebuild.
> Thanks.
>
> Later Mike

The thing about Jeeps is the 'ease' that pretty much any engine can be
put in them....

Maybe you should take a couple photos of the engine and post a link to
them or post them over on alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4 or a web page
so we can take some guesses...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
Old July 3rd 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 09:14:40 -0400, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>The thing about Jeeps is the 'ease' that pretty much any engine can be
>put in them....
>
>Maybe you should take a couple photos of the engine and post a link to
>them or post them over on alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4 or a web page
>so we can take some guesses...

Typical Mike answer. He is clueless. If you do not know, do not post.
It should have the L head 134 "Go Devil" engine when new. It is easy
to spot because it is a true flat head. The 134 Hurricane " F" head
was a hybrid in that it had one valve in block like a flat head and on
in head so it does look different. The "F" head cam out around 50 and
was only used in the CJ3B and CJ5 until 71. It was also used in willys
wagon during this time and in willys P/U from 50 to 56 and breifly in
59. The "F" head engine is taller and when swapped in place of a "Go
Devil" L head the hood has to be modified. (The hump in the hood means
it has a "F" in it) It was a popular swap because the F head added
about 12 more HP and about 10 ft libs of torque too. (72 vs 60 HP) .
THere was high altitude version of both motors. The "L" came standard
with a 6.48 to one and a 7.0 to 1 hi altitude option and the "F" came
standard with 6.9 to 1 and 7.4 to 1 in high altitude version. Part for
the "F" engine should not be too hard to find since it was used until
71.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old July 3rd 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Garth Almgren

Around 7/3/2007 7:36 AM, SnoMan wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 09:14:40 -0400, Mike Romain >
> wrote:
>
>> The thing about Jeeps is the 'ease' that pretty much any engine can be
>> put in them....
>>
>> Maybe you should take a couple photos of the engine and post a link to
>> them or post them over on alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4 or a web page
>> so we can take some guesses...

> Typical Mike answer.

Yep, succinct and helpful.

Mike can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his point in saying "The
thing about Jeeps is the 'ease' that pretty much any engine can be put
in them" is that it may have received any number of transplant engines
over the years.

Why bother spouting advice if *nobody* knows for sure what kind of
engine is in the jeep?

--
~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S 2.5
{ }|||||||{ } "MukYJ"
Old July 3rd 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
griffin

If I'm not mistaken, the OP said that it's not the original engine so how
does this help?

Old July 3rd 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

Mike chambers wrote:
> My Dad's old flat fender wich is a 46 or a 47 has a bad cam or rod
> that is makeing noise. The proublem is that it's not the original
> engine. The hood was bent up in the middle for the carb. Just need to
> find out if it's a F head or an Lhead . And where can one get new parts
> for a rebuild.
> Thanks.
>
> Later Mike

Mike, as Mike Roman pointed out we really need to have a clue what you
have before we can help.

A flatie (L Head) and an F head are easy to tell apart.

This is a Studebaker Champion L head engine.

http://www.scottysclassiccars.com/ca...ker/engine.jpg

Those were actually fairly popular upgrades in the early Jeeps like
yours. They were pretty much a bolt in and the difference in power was
dramatic (which says a lot about how weak the original engines were!)

Here is an F head, it looks a lot more like an OHV engine because it
was... sort of!

http://www.jeep-trucks.com/component.../Engine000.jpg

You might also look long and hard at the engine and see what kind of
makings you can find on it.

Jeff DeWitt
Old July 3rd 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 08:51:14 -0700, Garth Almgren >
wrote:

>Mike can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his point in saying "The
>thing about Jeeps is the 'ease' that pretty much any engine can be put
>in them" is that it may have received any number of transplant engines
>over the years.

A pretty stupid answer really. Guy wanted to know what engine it had
and it has a 4 bangers and a modified hood which means it is a 134 "F"
motor (the CJ3b was a CJ3A modified to except the taller motor). This
is not at all hard to figure out unless you are clueless and in which
case you say so and do not give a lame answer like "any engine can be
made to fit" . I guess you guys like to here yourselfs "talk". If you
would listen more and talk less you might just learn something.

>Why bother spouting advice if *nobody* knows for sure what kind of
>engine is in the jeep?

By nobody you mean you and Mike R huh?
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old July 3rd 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 15:52:13 GMT, "griffin" >
wrote:

>If I'm not mistaken, the OP said that it's not the original engine so how
>does this help?

It helps a lot because there was only two 4 bangers used in it back
then (40's thru early 70's) The humped hood on the 46 or 47 willy's
means it has had a "F" head engine swapped in because the hood has to
be "modified" or "humped" to fit the F in it. CJ3B and later models
could fit the "F" head without the hood mod.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old July 3rd 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 12:26:53 -0400, Jeffrey DeWitt
> wrote:

>Mike, as Mike Roman pointed out we really need to have a clue what you
>have before we can help.

Mike R is the clueless one here. The humped hood is the dead giveaway
that it has a "F" engine. (it was a popular swap) You would know this
if you really knew Jeeps which MIke R does not though he likes to act
otherwise. You think long and hard about taking pointers from guys
like MIke R thant think the way to realize driveline stress for wrapup
in 4x4 on hard surfaces is to burn rubber in reverse. Mike R has one
thing that drives him EGO as it shows in his posts and signature.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old July 3rd 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
griffin

"SnoMan" > wrote in message
> Mike R is the clueless one here. The humped hood is the dead giveaway
> that it has a "F" engine. (it was a popular swap) You would know this
> if you really knew Jeeps which MIke R does not though he likes to act
> otherwise. You think long and hard about taking pointers from guys
> like MIke R thant think the way to realize driveline stress for wrapup
> in 4x4 on hard surfaces is to burn rubber in reverse. Mike R has one
> thing that drives him EGO as it shows in his posts and signature.

1. How does his signature convey ego?
2. His posts are not egotistical in any way. People ask questions and Mike
is gracious enough to respectfully try and help. Nobody can be expected to
be correct 100% of the time and I don't believe he ever conveys this to
people. However, I've asked for help numerous times on this group and I
think Mike has actually replied to every one of my posts and as far back as
I can remember, not once has the advice given to me been bad - in fact, he
has bailed me out of numerous problems - problems that would have cost me a
fortune at a garage.
3. Mike's post specifically to the OP did not in anyway even suggest that he
was saying he knew the answer right away so how can his advice be incorrect?
He actually gave great advice - take some pictures and then people might be
able to tell you for certain. He never professed to know the answer however
his post was warranted, justified, and would likely lead to an answer from
someone else or even himself.
4. Ego in the non-Freudian noun refers to a person's outward display of
arrogant narcissism. I see one individual displaying this, especially in
their use of condescension, and it certainly isn't Mike R.
5. I bow to your elite knowledge of 1940's Jeeps ...obviously this means you
are better and more knowledgeable than everyone else out there regarding
Jeep questions in general. Perhaps you should work for DC or a museum.