Can rotating the tires extend their life by 20%?

Old March 26th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Scott Hughes

Default Can rotating the tires extend their life by 20%?

pws > wrote in
:

> Snap-on is great too, but I love Craftsman, which I think is a better
> value since they generally costs less and do exactly what I need them
> to. I had to use a "Husky" ratchet set not long ago and I can tell the
> difference immediately. There is also a world of difference between a
> Craftsman floor jack and that POS model you see on the shelf at
> Autozone for $40.00. (or less)

I can't, in good conscience, recommend snap-on to anyone but a
professional. They're great tools, just way too expensive for the average
guy. If you're making money from it and need the best, pay tons of money
and get the best. But if you just want good quality tools, go Craftsman.
As has been mentioned, their warranty is unbeatable, unfortunately, they
don't cover _lost_ tools..

-Scott
Old March 26th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-03-26, Scott Hughes > wrote:

>> Lanny (and others), I may still take you up on that rotation tutorial
>> at some point, but for now, can you recommend any specific things I
>> should be looking for in the way of tools that are both good and easy
>> to use? Maybe a compact Formula One-style lift would be too much to
>> hope for, but like, what's a good jack and a good wrench, etc.?
>>

> I got an inexpensive (about $30) 2 1/4 ton Craftsman floor jack that came
> w/ a pair of jack stands.
> I believe this is it (currently listed at $55 tho it goes on sale
> regularly):
> http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00950138000
>
> It works fine. I swap summer/winter wheels myself. The first couple
> times I did it one at a time w/ the in-trunk jack (obviously, not an
> option for rotating). So much easier/quicker w/ the floor jack & stands.
>
> One trick for speeding up the process if you have a cordless drill: Get
> a socket attachement bit for your drill. I THINK I use a 1/2" socket -
> don't remember for sure - it's a tiny bit loose, but there's no need for
> a perfect fit. Once you use the lug wrench to loosen the lugs a bit,
> swich to the drill rather than spinning them off by hand (going back on,
> use the drill to get them semi-tight, then switch back to the lug wrench
> or torque wrench if you have that). It won't do the whole job for you
> like having an air wrench, but it probably trims a few minutes off the
> job.

I did the summer/winter changeover a few times using the OEM
scissors jack and lug wrench. It's not fun.

In addition to a floor jack (I sometimes wish I had spent more
money on a lighter aluminum one), I use a speed wrench and a
long flex handle (I know, I should use a torque wrench):

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00944271000
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00904431000

Here's a kit with both:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00934389000

(Though I would prefer a longer flex-handle than that.)

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I think I'll make
at SCRAMBLED EGGS!! They're
Old March 27th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
altar nospam

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:34:57 -0000, Grant Edwards >
wrote:

>I did the summer/winter changeover a few times using the OEM
>scissors jack and lug wrench. It's not fun.
>
>In addition to a floor jack (I sometimes wish I had spent more
>money on a lighter aluminum one), I use a speed wrench and a
>long flex handle (I know, I should use a torque wrench):

There's nothing like air tools. Best investment I ever made. Set the
air for the proper torque, and away you go. Entire job in less than
1/2 hour. I do check the torque by hand also. Two floor jacks help, as
well.

Tom
Old March 27th 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Scott Hughes wrote:

> I can't, in good conscience, recommend snap-on to anyone but a
> professional. They're great tools, just way too expensive for the average
> guy. If you're making money from it and need the best, pay tons of money
> and get the best. But if you just want good quality tools, go Craftsman.
> As has been mentioned, their warranty is unbeatable, unfortunately, they
> don't cover _lost_ tools..
>
> -Scott

I completely agree. Craftsman makes something for anything I would work
on the car with.
Dunno why I mentioned Snap-On except maybe that I borrowed a Snap-On
ratchet not long ago. I am not sure that I could say it is a better
tool, both do the job nicely.

Pat
Old March 27th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> Dunno why I mentioned Snap-On except maybe that I borrowed a Snap-On
> ratchet not long ago. I am not sure that I could say it is a better
> tool, both do the job nicely.

Snap-On and Mac tools are indeed better, both workmanship and
metallurgy. Craftsman is only able to guarantee its tools for life
because they're thick and heavy. The thinner walls on professional
sockets, e.g., make them more versatile and easier to use in confined
spaces than the relatively-klunky Craftsman sockets.

But Craftsman is still a good value for most of us, who don't use our
tools to make a living and can tolerate some klunkiness to save money on
tools.