Can rotating the tires extend their life by 20%?

Old March 21st 07, 10:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Marc Gerges

Default Can rotating the tires extend their life by 20%?

XS11E > wrote:
> (Marc Gerges) wrote:
>> It depends on the ti if you have asymmetrical thread, you can
>> swap all you like. If you have a directional thread, you can only
>> swap on the same side of the car (front to rear).

> Er... no. Reread, Pirelli says you may NOT swap front to rear, side to
> side or any other way. Goodyear says you may swap any tire to any
> position. It's not a matter of tread, it's a matter of manufacturera.

My Goodyear F1's have a big arrow on them that says 'rotation'. And it
says clearly on them that you are not allowed to mount them so that they
rotate the other way. So, yes, you can swap front to rear, but you
cannot swap left to right.

cu
.\\arc
Old March 21st 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Marc Gerges

pltrgyst > wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:20:19 +0100, (Marc Gerges) wrote:
>
>>It depends on the ti if you have asymmetrical thread, you can swap
>>all you like. If you have a directional thread, you can only swap on the
>>same side of the car (front to rear).

> Bzzzt. Wrong way round. In most cases, asymmetric tires are directional tires.

Not at all.

Here's an asymmetric ti

http://www.euroshina.com.ua/en/tyres/Yokohama/V901

Here's a directional ti

http://www.euroshina.com.ua/en/tyres...Eagle_f1_gs-d3

> You can swap symmetric tires any way you like.

No, you cannot. A directional tire has a given sense of rotation. If you
swap it and make it rotate backwards, it will fail very miserably. An
asymmetric tire doesn't mind the sense of rotation, it only has to be on
the rim the right way - it has 'outside' and 'inside' markers.

I've been told asymmetrics are preferred by car manufacturers for one
reason: tires are put on wheels entirely automated. It's reasonably
straightforward for the roboter to be fed asymmetrics in a consistent
manner. However directionals would need to be mounted differently for
left and right side wheels, therefore requiring the effort to
distinguish between two kinds of wheel/tire combinations.

There exist some directional and asymmetric tires, mostly for high
performance cars. Tire dealers don't like them because they have two
stock items (left and right). IIRC the 1980s high power Corvettes had
those. Because the car had different tire sizes front and rear, you
actually had 4 different non swappable tires on it.

cu
.\\arc
Old March 23rd 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Thanks all for the replies. In the last few days, the price gap
between ordering online+installation and the local Discount Tire
narrowed to about half of what it was, for some reason (~420 vs. 455
now). So I reckon I'll go to DT and get the free rotations.

Lanny (and others), I may still take you up on that rotation tutorial
at some point, but for now, can you recommend any specific things I
should be looking for in the way of tools that are both good and easy
to use? Maybe a compact Formula One-style lift would be too much to
hope for, but like, what's a good jack and a good wrench, etc.?

Remove This, around Seattle we get a few spells of winter during the
year, but not full-on for three months. And I have alternate wheels.
I thought about getting good all-season tires, but I'll probably go
with summer tires now since they're good for about 85% of the year.
Come winter I'll check the weather sites and go with other transport
when I have to.

ZZ
Eric

Old March 23rd 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article .com>,
wrote:

> what's a good jack and a good wrench, etc.?

Go to Sears. You can't go wrong with Craftsman tools.
Old March 23rd 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Pat wrote:> Snap-on is great too, but I love Craftsman, which I think
is a better
> value since they generally costs less and do exactly what I need
> them to.
> I had to use a "Husky" ratchet set not long ago and I can tell the
> difference immediately. There is also a world of difference between
> a Craftsman floor jack and that POS model you see on the shelf at
> Autozone for $40.00. (or less)
>
> I took a Craftsman screwdriver in a while back that I used over 25
> years ago as a chisel for rock hunting. It was appropriated from
> dad's tool box along with his hammer, which I also promptly ruined.
>
> Broken tip, busted up plastic handle from hammering on it, and they
> traded it and the hammer in for replacements without any questions.

Oh, yeah, gotta love Craftsman. I found a 1/4" drive ratchet lying on
the side of a road and used it for several years before the whole
ratchet mechanism popped out. And of course one of the parts
immediately vanished into limbo. Took it into the local Sears and
they handed me a new one.

That was over 20 years ago, and I'm still using that replacement.

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Old March 23rd 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> Go to Sears. You can't go wrong with Craftsman tools.

Snap-on is great too, but I love Craftsman, which I think is a better
value since they generally costs less and do exactly what I need them to.
I had to use a "Husky" ratchet set not long ago and I can tell the
difference immediately. There is also a world of difference between a
Craftsman floor jack and that POS model you see on the shelf at Autozone
for $40.00. (or less)

I took a Craftsman screwdriver in a while back that I used over 25 years
ago as a chisel for rock hunting. It was appropriated from dad's tool
box along with his hammer, which I also promptly ruined.

Broken tip, busted up plastic handle from hammering on it, and they
traded it and the hammer in for replacements without any questions.

Pat
Old March 24th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
L Bader[_2_]

Eric -

Even though you are going to have DT mount, balance, rotate, etc. I
would still advise you to purchase a torque wrench and a deep-well
socket matching your lugs.

Anytime you have removed and replaced the tires you will want to
re-torque the lugs after about 30-50 miles.

- L

Old March 25th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Iva wrote:

> Oh, yeah, gotta love Craftsman. I found a 1/4" drive ratchet lying on
> the side of a road and used it for several years before the whole
> ratchet mechanism popped out. And of course one of the parts
> immediately vanished into limbo. Took it into the local Sears and
> they handed me a new one.
>
> That was over 20 years ago, and I'm still using that replacement.
>
> Iva & Belle.)
> '90B Classic Red.)
> #3 winkin' Miata

Excellent! Customer service is #1 for me in almost any situation where I
am spending money. I will bet that you have purchased Craftsman tools
since then, though a freebie is always nice.
I wish that I had a Sears closer to me. Maybe I will soon.

Pat
Old March 26th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Scott Hughes

wrote in news:1174678740.590886.110010
@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> Lanny (and others), I may still take you up on that rotation tutorial
> at some point, but for now, can you recommend any specific things I
> should be looking for in the way of tools that are both good and easy
> to use? Maybe a compact Formula One-style lift would be too much to
> hope for, but like, what's a good jack and a good wrench, etc.?

I got an inexpensive (about $30) 2 1/4 ton Craftsman floor jack that came
w/ a pair of jack stands.
I believe this is it (currently listed at $55 tho it goes on sale
regularly):
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00950138000

It works fine. I swap summer/winter wheels myself. The first couple
times I did it one at a time w/ the in-trunk jack (obviously, not an
option for rotating). So much easier/quicker w/ the floor jack & stands.

One trick for speeding up the process if you have a cordless drill: Get
a socket attachement bit for your drill. I THINK I use a 1/2" socket -
don't remember for sure - it's a tiny bit loose, but there's no need for
a perfect fit. Once you use the lug wrench to loosen the lugs a bit,
swich to the drill rather than spinning them off by hand (going back on,
use the drill to get them semi-tight, then switch back to the lug wrench
or torque wrench if you have that). It won't do the whole job for you
like having an air wrench, but it probably trims a few minutes off the
job.

-Scott