U.S.Post Office mail delivery vans

Old March 5th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default U.S.Post Office mail delivery vans

What does the Post Offices do with those vans when they get old enough?
What engines do the vans have? I assume they have automatic
transmissions.
cuhulin

Old March 6th 08, 12:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kruse

On Mar 5, 5:33 pm, wrote:
> What does the Post Offices do with those vans when they get old enough?
> What engines do the vans have? I assume they have automatic
> transmissions.
> cuhulin

Like a previous poster stated, the ones that I've seen had a GM
platform.
I've talked to some people who have got them at an auction. Not sure
about needing to be a postal employee.

About a year ago our UPS driver came with a new Dodge/Mercedes van. I
asked her what they do with the
old ones. She told me they got crushed. Her old one had a one week old
tranny and tires that had only a few
hundred miles on them and they crush all of the van. She told me they
don't sell parts to the public or reunse
any of the parts because of courtroom liability.

You wonder why shipping costs are so high.
Old March 6th 08, 12:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

> wrote in message
> What does the Post Offices do with those vans when they get old enough?
> What engines do the vans have? I assume they have automatic
> transmissions.
> cuhulin

Search for the General Accounting Office website, and you should be able to
find what is up for sale/auction. I found it recently, but didnt make a
bookmark
for it.