93 Grand Voyager loss of brakes

Old March 3rd 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default 93 Grand Voyager loss of brakes

Started my van this morning and the brake and ABS light came on. Brake
pedal went almost to the floor. For the last couple of days, I've
noticed a buzzing everytime I step on the brakes and the ABS light
would flicker. Now it has almost no brakes and the buzzing is almost
constant. There are no visible leaks on the driveway. Any ideas?
Old March 4th 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Mar 3, 11:24*pm, Mike Walsh > wrote:
> Check the brake fluid level. If there are no leaks the problem is most likely a bad master cylinder.
>
> wrote:
>
> > Started my van this morning and the brake and ABS light came on. Brake
> > pedal went almost to the floor. For the last couple of days, I've
> > noticed a buzzing everytime I step on the brakes and the ABS light
> > would flicker. Now it has almost no brakes and the buzzing is almost
> > constant. There are no visible leaks on the driveway. Any ideas?

> --
> * * * * * * * * * *Mike Walsh

Fluid level is fine. What I'm wondering is if the buzzing (sounds like
an air compressor) is related. I have heard about some kind of
electric brake pump on these that is notorious for failing. The buzz
was only when I started the van, now it is constant.
Old March 4th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

wrote:
> On Mar 3, 11:24 pm, Mike Walsh > wrote:
>> Check the brake fluid level. If there are no leaks the problem is most likely a bad master cylinder.
>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Started my van this morning and the brake and ABS light came on. Brake
>>> pedal went almost to the floor. For the last couple of days, I've
>>> noticed a buzzing everytime I step on the brakes and the ABS light
>>> would flicker. Now it has almost no brakes and the buzzing is almost
>>> constant. There are no visible leaks on the driveway. Any ideas?

>> --
>> Mike Walsh

> Fluid level is fine. What I'm wondering is if the buzzing (sounds like
> an air compressor) is related. I have heard about some kind of
> electric brake pump on these that is notorious for failing. The buzz
> was only when I started the van, now it is constant.

I suspect you've got the "notorious" Bendix ABS system. There was a
recall and/or TSB for that system, but that was already a number of
years ago. Have a dealer run the VIN of your van to see if its had all
brake-related recalls performed. I don't remember when they quit using
that system, but I think it was after 93. It was only used in the vans,
my wife's 93 LH car has a completely different system.

The Bendix system used in early Chrysler minivans sucked for many
reasons, not the least of which was that it failed a lot. But IMO the
most egregious of its flaws was that it HAD to be working for the brakes
to work normally. Virtually all other ABS systems (and all the good
ones...) revert to a perfectly normal non-ABS system if the ABS function
dies.
Old March 4th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
SRN

> wrote in message
> Started my van this morning and the brake and ABS light came on. Brake
> pedal went almost to the floor. For the last couple of days, I've
> noticed a buzzing everytime I step on the brakes and the ABS light
> would flicker. Now it has almost no brakes and the buzzing is almost
> constant. There are no visible leaks on the driveway. Any ideas?

John,
As others have said, you probably have the infamous Bendix 10 ABS system
that they had so many problems with. What happens is, the seals go bad and
the accumulator will no longer hold pressure. The pump will run continuously
trying to build pressure and will eventually fail. That's the buzzing noise
you hear. There was a recall (Chrysler recall 685) back in 1996. Do a search
of Usenet groups in the archive, and search "Bendix 10 ABS system" for all
the discussion thru the years. You can also go to:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm

Search on NHTSA Campaign No. 96V099000
Click on "document search"
Click on RC-96V099-NN.pdf, and read all the documents for a complete
explanation of the problem, and the lifetime warranty on the pump/motor and
piston seal. But that doesn't mean that your repairs will be covered free,
only those lifetime parts. Anything else in need of replacement will be
additional cost.

1998 Plymouth Voyager - loss of dashboard display scroitsch Chrysler 10 October 10th 06 12:55 AM
grand voyager brakes drummie Chrysler 6 December 1st 05 09:50 AM
CHEAP Grand Voyager-Grand Caravan Wanted CaravanGuy Chrysler 2 September 24th 05 01:20 AM
2005 Grand Voyager Loss of Compression. davem Chrysler 0 June 15th 05 09:29 AM
Brakes Lock and Won't Let Go, 94 Grand Voyager - Help before they get me killed. Jim Ashburn Dodge 10 July 22nd 04 02:10 AM