Harmonic balancer tool

Old April 1st 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

Default Harmonic balancer tool

According to Bills website you should use a harmonic balancer
installation tool to put the balancer back on. None of the local stores
I checked had such a thing (Auto Zone, Advance, Northern Tool), but they
all had pullers.

Where do you get this tool? Would any local place be likely to carry
one or is this something only available through mail order? I see
Moroso has one but it's kind of pricey for something I'll rarely use.

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt
Old April 1st 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Jeffrey DeWitt wrote:
> According to Bills website you should use a harmonic balancer
> installation tool to put the balancer back on. None of the local
> stores I checked had such a thing (Auto Zone, Advance, Northern
> Tool), but they all had pullers.
>
> Where do you get this tool? Would any local place be likely to carry
> one or is this something only available through mail order? I see
> Moroso has one but it's kind of pricey for something I'll rarely use.

AutoZone loans them out.

Picture here. http://revbeergoggles.com/hb/installer-set-s.jpg

--
DougW

Old April 1st 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Jeffrey DeWitt wrote:

> According to Bills website you should use a harmonic balancer
> installation tool to put the balancer back on. None of the local stores
> I checked had such a thing (Auto Zone, Advance, Northern Tool), but they
> all had pullers.
>
> Where do you get this tool? Would any local place be likely to carry
> one or is this something only available through mail order? I see
> Moroso has one but it's kind of pricey for something I'll rarely use.

And here I thought that was what the bolt in the center was for!

Actually, I had a bolt with the right threads that was maybe an inch longer
than the original bolt. Put that through the big washer, tighten until
either it bottoms or the washer seats on the end of the crank, pull bolt
and put correct one in, torque.

The only "special" tools I ever used on that was the puller and a long piece
of bar stock with two bolt holes so I could bolt it to the pulley. Use a
bar long enough to jam against the frame as you break the center bolt loose
or torque it down. Oh, yeah, you will probably have to grind a small notch
the get your socket in to the bolt.

--
Will Honea

Old April 1st 07, 08:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

I not understanding, we use the balancer, just tap it on, to center the
timing cover on the seal, before the cover's tighten down.
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 1st 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
philthy[_1_]

i just use the bolt and some washers with a impact gun

Old April 1st 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_17_]

The thinking is that the threads on the special tool save wear and tear on
the crank threads.

Earle

Old April 1st 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

I'm thinking the bolt is not quite long enough to pull it from the
start. So what is a mallet going to hurt?
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

om...

Old April 1st 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

According to Bills website the regular bolt is too weak and short, I'm
guessing it isn't long enough to get enough bite into the threads to
pull the balancer in.

This afternoon I found a couple of longer bolts at Lowes and I'm going
to give them a try.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt

Old April 1st 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I would be worried about damaging the thrust bearing with a mallet, they
shear easy from what I have seen....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 1st 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

The main bearings!

Jeff DeWitt

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III wrote:
> I'm thinking the bolt is not quite long enough to pull it from the
> start. So what is a mallet going to hurt?
> God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> "Earle Horton" > wrote in message
> om...
>> The thinking is that the threads on the special tool save wear and tear on
>> the crank threads.
>>
>> Earle

Bad Harmonic Balancer Stephen[_3_] Corvette 10 August 1st 06 02:51 AM
Bad Harmonic Balancer Steve Horrillo Corvette 12 January 16th 06 03:40 AM
Bad Harmonic Balancer Steve Horrillo Corvette 0 January 11th 06 12:50 AM
Harmonic Balancer Larry Mazda 1 September 18th 05 07:15 AM
Harmonic Balancer Richard Ford Mustang 6 August 31st 05 06:59 AM