What brand of gears should I use?

Old June 12th 05, 05:13 AM
Eric

Default What brand of gears should I use?

I'm getting ready to regear my TJ. I do rock crawling at least once a
month -- maybe more. It is my daily driver. It's a 2.5L, 5spd. I have 33"
tires. It has 59k miles. I can't think of any other facts that matter
here...

So, I'm going with 4.88s. No question. The question is, what brand do I
buy?? I've heard great things about Yukon, but haven't heard anything about
any other brands -- good or bad. A fellow club member sells parts and I
asked him for a quote. Here's what I got. The parts would all be Genuine
Gear or Precision Gear:

Dana 35 Mater Install Kit is $83.95
Dana 30 Mater Install Kit is $65.79
Dana 30 4.88 R & P TJ is $139.40
Air Down Guage is $12.99 ( Filler for Free Frt)

Total Part is $302.13
Free Shipping over $300
Uncle Sam is $ 24.17
________________
Grand Total $326.30

By the way -- I'm getting the rears for free (buddy of mine won a gift
certificate he isn't going to use, so he gave it to me for my b-day).

Should I spend more for Yukons? Are these OK? Thoughts, suggestions?
Thanks!

Eric
99 TJ SE

Old June 12th 05, 06:32 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Eric,
A Freudian Slip wouldn't allow you to write in the cost of a Dana
35c 4.88 as you know with less the eight teeth on the pinion, it's
explode if you look cross-eyed at it:
http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgi...M=00&checked=Y
Be looking for an old Dana 44.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 12th 05, 04:45 PM
Jerry Bransford

If you're not installing the gears yourself, and I strongly recommend
against you doing so unless you already know how to do so, I would have
the installer provide the gears. You can request a particular brand and
he will probably use that brand unless he has had too many bad
experiences with it, but just make sure he provides the gears. If you
buy them yourself to save a few bucks and there is any problem, the
installer will just point fingers at the gears YOU provided him and then
YOU will be the one to sort through who pays what. If he provides the
gears, then there will be no finger-pointing.

I'd say go with all Spicer gearing but Spicer doesn't make 4.88 for both
of your axles. I'm no fan of Yukon because they're an import but then
most (aside from Spicer) are today. And no matter what a few old guys
who are out of touch with what really works, don't worry about 4.88
gears being too weak. They hold up just fine, even my 4.88 gearing with
35" tires and plenty of rock crawling are doing just fine.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old June 13th 05, 02:53 AM
Eric

C'mon Bill... not everyone can afford a "new" axle AND gears (good luck
finding a D44 already geared to 4.88). I'm not looking to compete here, and
I'm pretty easy on the throttle. Not looking to build a monster, but trying
to improve my daily driving and get a lower first gear.

Besides, I wheel with a number of guys who have the D35c w/4.88s. Some of
them for years. And no one has had any problems. Yes, I know they break.
I know they're a terrible axle. When I break it, I'll upgrade to a D44 or
8.8. Until then...

Eric

Old June 13th 05, 02:57 AM
Eric

Two problems:

1. I have no clue who's installing the gears.

2. I'm buying the gears at two places -- the free set is coming from a shop
that hasn't gotten the highest ratings from folks in my club. But I'm just
getting the R&P from them anyway. My wife is buying the other R&P and
install kit for my B-day. She said she can't afford the install, but would
help me by buying a couple of pieces.

I'm really hoping I can get a specific person to install them -- but not
sure yet. If I waited until I had all the cash, I'd never get it done.
I've been talking about gears for quite a while now... if all I have to save
up for is the install, that's easier. Otherwise, SOMETHING is always coming
up.

Eric

Old June 13th 05, 03:51 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Can you afford not to? I mean look at that puny thing:
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/reviews/488/Dcp01459.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/