Blue or Red Haynes

Old October 24th 04, 04:00 AM
Diane

Default Blue or Red Haynes

Anyone know the difference between red and blue cover 90-97 Haynes manuals?
I do NOT need to know how superior the Enthusiast's manual is.
Thanks. -Phil

Old October 24th 04, 04:34 PM
Pete Breemhaar

I have the blue cover version... (bought in Canada)
I suspect they are the same book... if you go to the Haynes web-site, and
specify that you're in the UK, they will show you a pic of the red
book(which shows a left-hand drive white Miata), and the details tell you
the book is # 61016, ISBN 1 56392 289 4.
These are the same numbers as on my blue book.
I have a '94 with ABS, cruise, no A/C... the book does not always have
details for my configuration (ie. some of the engine detail covers the 1.6
only)
hope this helps,

Pete

Old October 24th 04, 04:48 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"Diane" > wrote:

>Anyone know the difference between red and blue cover 90-97 Haynes manuals?

Most likely, Diane. I would guess Haynes would know.

If you go to haynes.com, you will see that there is only one 90-97
manual listed, 61016. The red version was printed in 1998. It
seems logical to assume that the blue version is an unrevised
new printing, with a modified cover in secret hopes of lulling
at least some people into buying a manual they already own.

http://www.haynes.com/na101.html#anchor565073

>I do NOT need to know how superior the Enthusiast's manual is.

You are not the only one reading this group. The Enthusiast
Manual is a lot more expansive, and that is while it has
versions specific to the 90-93 and 94-97. In addition, some
errors in the Haynes manual have been pointed out here over
time.

> Thanks. -Phil

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old October 25th 04, 01:27 AM
Diane

Thanks for the info. I always planned on getting the Enthusiast's Manual
too. It is just that when trying to find out the difference between
blue/red Haynes the response was always "don't buy it". I don't know why
everyone would not want a second set of photos and instructions to help
clarify a procedure. -Phil (wife's email)
news

Old October 25th 04, 01:47 AM
Thomas Misek

Is there a similar manual for the NB models or are the later models not very
enthusiast?

Also, it looks like the red/blue covers differentiate between the 1.6 and
1.8 liter engines.

news

Old October 25th 04, 03:00 AM
Pete Breemhaar

"Thomas Misek" > wrote in message
om...

> Also, it looks like the red/blue covers differentiate between the 1.6 and
> 1.8 liter engines.

Perhaps... but in section 24 when they advise how to fully drain and flush
the cooling system by removing a drain plug on the side of the block, they
DON'T mention that this pertains only to the 1.6 and that the 1.8 has NO
drain plug... at least none that I could find.
I've run across a few other omissions as well.

Pete

Haynes manual instructions Yvan Driving 190 December 21st 04 03:48 PM
Haynes manuals A.Mateus 4x4 1 September 3rd 04 04:32 PM
Are japs controlling the Blue Ribbon Coalition? Sportsmen Against Bush 4x4 6 December 20th 03 03:58 AM
1969 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible. Lemans Blue JetSkiBob1 Antique cars 0 November 19th 03 10:33 PM